Mounting frame advice needed

recre8

I'm in a bit over my head here with regards to my mounting frame structure, having never done this. I'm just starting and with solar and I want to mount my panels (360W 1m x 2m) on my garage roof at a 30 degree tilt. I've designed a structure using Rubicon's 2.5mm thick aluminium solar strut (41x41mm unistrut clone). The structure will be supported by bolting it to the wall on one side and a pine rafter (H3-treated 50x152mm) secured using truss hangers on the other. Three mounting rails will complete the frame. The panels will then be bolted to the two lower rails. I added the third rail (uppermost) for some added strength against the Cape south easter and will use Araymond Snap clips for the top rail. The span between the uprights are about 2.1m (i.e. each pair of angled frames will hold up two portrait panels). I've left a gap of 100mm between panels.

What do you guys think. Will it hold up?

image.thumb.png.847b116a93116e4ff02acff9711c0600.png

image.thumb.png.3bc00b785950dc3af03f47fe4edaf7d3.png

image.thumb.png.33839de4a874f942b7d75fdb9054a8ae.png

Edited by recre8

I have something similar made from 114x38 treated lumber and Renusol rails and clamps, but as twelve 355 watt panels create quite a huge sail, the other day with 30 plus kms winds I saw the top middle panels move a bit, which made me decide to have them mounted to the tiled roof, even though my house is two storey.

ps I am in Cape Town also

@VassenI just opted for aluminium because all the steel Unistrut I can find is either 1.5mm or 1.0mm thick. The genuine one sold by Cabstrut (P1000T 2.5mm pre-galvanized) is now over R600 a length ex VAT. My dad is quite happy to weld steel, so I can always ask him to make up the A-frames. Do you think the long horinzontal aluminuim struts are OK still to mount the panels on when affixed to a sturdier welded steel frame? Especially with 2m spans (and two panels) between the A-frames?

Oh, forgot to mention...  I spoke a installer based in Gauteng, who told me to stay away from the galvanized metal strut in the coastal area because "it will corrode away in no time". Not sure if I should trust that opinion?

Your frames look really neat. Is the black frame just steel that is coated with a NS4? Or did you have it galvanized as well?

Edited by recre8