Cloned and real

Leosol

Hi 

I have a question about clone and real axpert inverters that are being sold. If it says '5kVA 4kW 80A Axpert Type Pure Sine Wave Inverter Parallel' is it a clone or do they sell it as an real axpert inverter? 

Does the Axpert type mean clone ? Im a bit confused as when I baut mine I was under the impression it was an axpert and not a clone and should they not state that on the advert that its a axpert clone?

Just need some advice on this please ?

1 hour ago, Leosol said:

Hi 

I have a question about clone and real axpert inverters that are being sold. If it says '5kVA 4kW 80A Axpert Type Pure Sine Wave Inverter Parallel' is it a clone or do they sell it as an real axpert inverter? 

Does the Axpert type mean clone ? Im a bit confused as when I baut mine I was under the impression it was an axpert and not a clone and should they not state that on the advert that its a axpert clone?

Just need some advice on this please ?

The real Voltronic inverters are sold as Axpert, Mecer, RCT, Kodak and many more.  Apparently anybody who buys a container full can have their own logo put on it by Voltronic.

There are of course no rules in the world of illegally copying other companies' designs, but as far as I know all the inverters sold as "Axpert type" are clones.

Generally the clones are to be avoided.

20 hours ago, Leosol said:

is it a clone or...

See also Do I Own a Clone (oh moan!).

As to why Voltronic Power don't proudly put on a sticker saying they made it, I can only shrug and say it's their business model. They want to be "original design manufacturers" (ODMs rather than OEMs, E for Equipment). I think it's all to do with getting other people (usually the resellers, but perhaps also forum readers like us) to do most of the support work.

If they made it obvious that VP built the item, then most of the clones might go away. But I suppose that the clone makers would just copy the sticker saying it's genuine.

There are also "work alikes" like the Growatts. They're not clones as such, even though the look and feel is copied, the details inside actually differ.

Edited by Coulomb

On 2020/09/30 at 7:09 PM, Leosol said:

Most first time buyers don’t know they are buying a clone and I’m sure they would think twice before making that purchase. I was also caught out with a clone and only found out about six months later. All I can do now is make the best of a bad situation and use it till it blows and not support that solar supplier again. Unfortunately these clones are selling like hot cakes and many more buyers will still get the surprise. 

I was around when VSDs were introduced onto the market. There were some makes that were notorious for blowing up for no good reason. You could buy a reputable product from one of the big players and pay a lot more for these.

What eventually happened in that market was that VSDs became a commodity. Now one doesn't get too excited about which one you use. The product is expected to perform in an application and it mostly it does.

I reckon the inverter business is following the same history and as the industry matures these brands won't be such a big deal.