12v 3000w inverter recommendations please?

StephanS

Hi,

I recently bought  a 12v "3000w" inverter off of Loot which was supposed to have peak of 6000w. Needless to say when I tested it, it would not boil a 2000w kettle fully charged battery bank.

Because I want it as a backup for a yacht I was not wanting to spend 18k etc for a Victron or Mastervolt, which I already have and am experiencing "cycling" issues with.

Appreciated

Thanks

Hi,

I recently bought  a 12v "3000w" inverter off of Loot which was supposed to have peak of 6000w. Needless to say when I tested it, it would not boil a 2000w kettle fully charged battery bank.

Because I want it as a backup for a yacht I was not wanting to spend 18k etc for a Victron or Mastervolt, which I already have and am experiencing "cycling" issues with.

Appreciated

Thanks

4 hours ago, StephanS said:

Because I want it as a backup for a yacht I was not wanting to spend 18k etc for a Victron or Mastervolt, which I already have and am experiencing "cycling" issues with

Why did you buy a 12V system? Is it possible to exchange it for a 24V inverter?

What voltage does the yacht use for it's electrics?

Hi to Answer all the questions here.

On the boat I have 1500 odd Ah in total. From 6 6v batteries.

I am looking for a 3000w, actually I only need 1600w continuous with a start surge of around 4000. The amps are 8A for AC motor.

Most yacht systems are 12v meeting the  electronics criteria.

Agreed re 24 and 48.

Mastervolt and Victron 12v's can put out 5kw in their top end range 

So, when you tested it by trying to boil a 2kW kettle was it connected to the 1500Ah battery bank or a different bank? What batteries are you using?

To get 1500Ah at 12V from 6 x 6V batteries, each battery would have to be 500Ah

What size and length cables did you use between the battery bank and the inverter?

What failed when you tried to boil the kettle? Did the inverter shut down on low battery or overload?

Sorry about the repeated question. Really don't know how I managed this... Stupidity...

The inverter overloaded. The test with the kettle was to see if the inverter could continuously put out the 2000w required as was stated in the specs. It was also not able to run a vacuum cleaner rated 1200w

1 minute ago, StephanS said:

The inverter overloaded

Thank you, that is the most important bit of information you have provided so far.

I might expect that when trying to run a 1200W vacuum cleaner if it is a cheap inverter (square wave or quasi-sine output), but I wouldn't expect that from a resistive load like a kettle.

Do you have a link to the product from loot so we can check the specs?

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Thank you, that is the most important bit of information you have provided so far.

I might expect that when trying to run a 1200W vacuum cleaner if it is a cheap inverter (square wave or quasi-sine output), but I wouldn't expect that from a resistive load like a kettle.

Do you have a link to the product from loot so we can check the specs?

A vacuum cleaner will happily run on DC, or even a triac dimmer (although it will probably overheat)