Pylontech SoC ideas

affer

Hi forum.

My first post, have a user mostly for downloading firmware for my MPP 5048 MK for which i have connected two Pylontech US3000 batteries. Which report SoC to my inverter.

ive made a logic with mppt via solpiplog, and was wondering which SoC i can go to at the lowest on the pylontech batteries. Right now my logic is as in attached picture.

Short;: change to grid charge at 10%, Change back to Solar charge at 15%, Change to ECO (Bypass mode) at 20% and lastly go to battery mode at 25%

i will only use the Grid as backup. But can i go as low as 1% Soc before i do this? i mean is, the SoC reported from the batteries safe to use between 1-100% SoC or should i stay between lets say 10-100% ? I hope you guys understand my question, i will use settings to keep the condition of my batteries as best as possible. If you have any other suggestion feel free to add to my post. Thanks

Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 21.02.23.png

Edited by affer
spelling

6 hours ago, affer said:

the SoC reported from the batteries safe to use between 1-100% SoC or should i stay between lets say 10-100%

You should stay between about 20% and preferably a little below 100% SOC long term (charge to 100%, let the voltage and SOC slip back a bit in float mode to perhaps 51.8 V. OK to go under 20% very rarely, e.g. extended outage. But since you'll go to bypass mode at 20%, your present setup is probably OK. I'd probably set the values 5% higher, and back to battery at perhaps 35-40%.

47 minutes ago, affer said:

maybe i can set it up in the bms for the pylontech?

There are commands for the console port, but they are not well documented.

The inverter will work with battery voltages only; that's presumably why you developed your SOC reading software. The best you can do with charging is choose a suitable absorb/bulk and float voltage setting that settles on about the SOC you want.

ahh yes. right now my inverter is set to PYL 05 setting, so i am pretty sure i am not allowed to change charge current and voltages. then i have to set it to USER settings to do that, but then i will loose my SoC rading, which is presented by the Pylon batteries through my inverter atm. luckily we have not much sun in Denmark right now. so i will not get a 100% charge before march anyway.
when the SoC reads 100% i can see the inverter stops charging. and only holds the voltage steady. by reading through my watt meter on the Victron BMV only a little wattage goes to the batteries.

for long time i wanted an ac unit.. now that is more interesting, i could set it to start at 90% SoC and then draw the power from the panels to the AC unit instead of charging the batteries.. it could run from 90% SoC to lets say 60% SoC, then i would still have enough battery to get through the night on my other appliances hooked up to the battery.
Now i just need to find an AC unit i can control by MQTT 😄 

• 3 weeks later...

The Pylontech choose to charge to 100% today, after 3 weeks with no or little sun, the charged have been kept around 20-25% - but today the Batteries choosed to go to 100% with charge from grid, even thought the 5048mk is set to max allow 2amps charge, it was like this was override and the pylontech was charged with 10amps. 
Anyone know if the pylontech will initiate a 100% charge after some time not beeing charged fully? 

21 hours ago, affer said:

Anyone know if the pylontech will initiate a 100% charge after some time not being charged fully? 

That seems rather cheeky, if they could.

I would not think that the Pylontech BMS would be aware of what inverter (if any) it is talking to, and certainly not whether it has utility charging available.

I'm not ruling it out, just saying it seems unlikely.

[ Edit: However, per a later post, "request forced charge" does sound like it will ask the inverter to start a utility charge if it can. ]

Is ICC involved in this? Otherwise, I can't see why the PIP-MK would disobey its maximum utility charge current setting. I don't believe (without checking) that it would be one that is overridden by the Pylontech (or other) BMS.

Edited by Coulomb

ICC is not installed, only solpiplog, with a logic beeing controlled from noed red and mqtt, and no change of amp charge settings here. 

Ive seen the pylontech change max charge of amp from solar, with two batteries this is fixed to 70amp, and this i cant change. 

But i hear you Coulumb, this is not a behaviour i suspected. 

I have a enapter device on the serial port, this one i do not know much about yet - it might have done something, but when i saw this morning that the mpp was charging my batteries with 10 amps, it still reported max 2 amps in solpiplog as max charge from utility.

I could not by sending any commands to the mpp by solpiplog do anything with any settings to change to either SBU og Solar only charge until the battery was at 100% i was allowed to change to 20amp or 30amp charge, but if i choose 2amp, it would stay at 10amp grid charge. 

4 hours ago, affer said:

The Pylontech choose to charge to 100% today, after 3 weeks with no or little sun, the charged have been kept around 20-25% - but today the Batteries choosed to go to 100% with charge from grid, even thought the 5048mk is set to max allow 2amps charge, it was like this was override and the pylontech was charged with 10amps. 
Anyone know if the pylontech will initiate a 100% charge after some time not beeing charged fully? 

I noticed that if my pylontech SOC drops to 9% it will initiate a forced grid charge to 13% SOC. I picked this up by accident a few weeks back when the batteries drifted to 9%. Inverter is set to never charge from grid. This is with the sunsynk 8kw inverter. 

Not sure if it would force a grid charge to 100% though. 

Screenshot_20201209-200218_Photos.jpg

Interesting, i have never discharged my batteries below 15% to keep them somewhat fresh.. my own logic will charge to 25% when 15% is reached. I will keep an eye on my batteries if they will go to 100% again. my weather report though says that the following days will be some what sunny, so the batteries will get charged. i can see we had at least 3 weeks with almost no sun until yesterday 

Screenshot 2020-12-20 at 11.59.12.png