Battery circuit breaker trip

Solarsmit

Question

Good evening, I have a GROWATT 5kW inverter and 1 x 3,5kWh Pylontech connected.

The 150A circuit breaker trips intermittently. Do I change the circuit breaker to fuses?

The inverter does not pull the utility in when the load gets a bit high, over 2,2kWh

5 answers to this question

On 2021/05/11 at 8:20 PM, Solarsmit said:

Good evening, I have a GROWATT 5kW inverter and 1 x 3,5kWh Pylontech connected.

The 150A circuit breaker trips intermittently. Do I change the circuit breaker to fuses?

The inverter does not pull the utility in when the load gets a bit high, over 2,2kWh

i am having the same issue. I have a Sunsynk 5.5kW with 2x5,1kW batteries. I have a 125A DC breaker installed on the battery feed and it also trips intermittently. There is no way my batteries can discharge more than 125A, as I have set the max power discharge from the battery, so worse case it would be around 104A when the battery voltage is really low and I use all of the 5kW (which I do not even come close to). The most I have seen was around 60-70A. Obviously the logger does not show any detail as it only updates every so often.

Seems like breakers are problematic on DC circuits and I am also considering replacing the battery breaker with slow blow fuses.

I am curious to hear other's that experienced the same and what their fix were.

21 hours ago, YellowTapemeasure said:

I've never had that problem with these and 3x Pylontech US3000B

IMG_20210517_205353[1].jpg

I am definitely installing fuses. I had 2 trips today and I measured the current just before tripping. The breaker is rated for 125A DC, but with a sustained 67A it trips after about 6-10min...

If a breaker is rated for 125A it must be able to sustain 125A, but not in my case. Don't know if it is a faulty breaker or if these Chinese stuff does not honour its rating...

Circuit breakers trip for many reasons, including overloading, faulty wiring, and damage to the wiring or equipment. If your breaker trips when you turn it off and on, you can try unplugging or turning off some electronics to prevent it from tripping again. If the breaker still trips, you can try resetting it by flipping it to the OFF position, then to the ON position, and repeating this step two times. If the breaker continues to trip, you should contact a licensed electrician

11 hours ago, Jaco 0813066730 said:

Circuit breakers trip for many reasons, including overloading, faulty wiring, and damage to the wiring or equipment. If your breaker trips when you turn it off and on, you can try unplugging or turning off some electronics to prevent it from tripping again. If the breaker still trips, you can try resetting it by flipping it to the OFF position, then to the ON position, and repeating this step two times. If the breaker continues to trip, you should contact a licensed electrician

When on load it's never a great idea to flip MCBs on and off a few times. When it tripped just move it to the off position to ensure mechanisms has latched and switch on after some visual checks.