Adding panels - system advice

Dex_

Hi All,

I want to add more panels to my system, currently i have 6 x 400W panels on my Axpert King, I would ideally have liked to add another 6, though that theoretically puts me over the maximum input W to the MPPT. Though i have never seen 2400W from my existing panels.

Would it be safe to add another 6 panels considering losses and efficiency or should i play it safe with 4?

Also the position of the new panels will be closer on the roof to the inverter than the existing panels by probably 5 meters or so, do the cable lengths of all strings need to be the same or are differing lengths fine? i assume it doesnt matter but want to be sure when they put it in.

TIA

looking deeper into this

the panels are 47.0 V and 10.82 A, the inverters mppt is 60-115V and 80Amp max.

the reason i initially went for strings of 2 was that i thought 3 in a string was pushing the Voltage range limit.

so 6 strings of (47V*2) 94V at 10.82A a string gives a total amperage of 64.92A. Seems safe?

4 hours ago, Dex_ said:

so 6 strings of (47V*2) 94V at 10.82A a string gives a total amperage of 64.92A. Seems safe?

One point to look out for is protection, are they installing breakers or fuses for each new string. I would assume 15A fuse or breaker per string on a 10.82A circuit. This might also mean upgrading your breaker depending on your setup, feeding PV to inverter as this can now go up to 64A.

7 hours ago, Gerrie said:

One point to look out for is protection, are they installing breakers or fuses for each new string. I would assume 15A fuse or breaker per string on a 10.82A circuit. This might also mean upgrading your breaker depending on your setup, feeding PV to inverter as this can now go up to 64A.

I have a 6 input combiner box with type 2 protection, i am not sure of the exact fuses per string off hand or the main fuse, i will need to check that, when it was origionally sourced the requirement to add more panels was discussed so i hope it is in place, will check. 

Edited by Dex_