Is this viable option

Hi,

Been reading and trying to understand all the options and variations available for some time now.

Thanks to all the members for the entertainment ( discussions and personalities etc. ) and shared knowledge and issues that you paid the school fees for.

My situation:

I have 3 DB's in my house. Main, kitchen sub and garage sub.

Wish to keep fridges going only during LS and days when sun is shining.

The funds for proper solution is not there with Covid etc. , BUT I suspect can start with Solis 3kva approx for the kitchen DB with solar panels , the idea to manage load and power in day from solar, with very small battery so it will also work during LS with sunshine. For the rest of the critical night time etc. I have a petrol genny.

I believe you can chain the Solis , so I can expand later when funds available to run entire house. For now family time with no web access is a bonus 8-)

Issues:

1. City Power Johannesburg LTRON prepaid > I believe there is a feedback trip issue or paying for solar generated power on meter.

2. How to auto isolate DB for Kitchen from rest during LS > So only using Solar.

3. Small battery/battery pack only to keep Solar feed working, do not need to run on batteries as ROI does not work for me.

4. Do I split panels morning afternoon as the roof allows for this right above the kitchen with zero shade. It looks like I will have 100 coverage on both sides from 10-3ish.

I do not have a clamp meter yet to measure actuals on the kitchen DB, making plan to get this done.

If there is a better solution or recommended device please feel free to comment.

Regards

Skillie

2 hours ago, Skillie said:

Hi,

Been reading and trying to understand all the options and variations available for some time now.

Thanks to all the members for the entertainment ( discussions and personalities etc. ) and shared knowledge and issues that you paid the school fees for.

My situation:

I have 3 DB's in my house. Main, kitchen sub and garage sub.

Wish to keep fridges going only during LS and days when sun is shining.

The funds for proper solution is not there with Covid etc. , BUT I suspect can start with Solis 3kva approx for the kitchen DB with solar panels , the idea to manage load and power in day from solar, with very small battery so it will also work during LS with sunshine. For the rest of the critical night time etc. I have a petrol genny.

I believe you can chain the Solis , so I can expand later when funds available to run entire house. For now family time with no web access is a bonus 8-)

Issues:

1. City Power Johannesburg LTRON prepaid > I believe there is a feedback trip issue or paying for solar generated power on meter.

2. How to auto isolate DB for Kitchen from rest during LS > So only using Solar.

3. Small battery/battery pack only to keep Solar feed working, do not need to run on batteries as ROI does not work for me.

4. Do I split panels morning afternoon as the roof allows for this right above the kitchen with zero shade. It looks like I will have 100 coverage on both sides from 10-3ish.

I do not have a clamp meter yet to measure actuals on the kitchen DB, making plan to get this done.

If there is a better solution or recommended device please feel free to comment.

Regards

Skillie

Can you help us out with abit more detail, as @JoeyhZAsaid most of the Solis range are grid tied and if you want load shedding prevention you are looking for a Hybrid or backup inverter system

Hi @skillie, I have just gone for the Solis 6KW Hybrid inverter for my specific purpose, but this inverter cannot be used in parallel. Read through various discussions on the forum, you should really consider the Sunsynk hybrid inverters, they can be used in parallel if you want to expand later. It is very evident that Sunsynk probably has the best support of any make/brand and there are tons of information by some very experienced users on this forum. You should also look up a thread started by by @strepies which is quite informative on staging your installation. 

You can also speak to Steve at the Powerforum Store, he is very helpful. I bought all my components from them, Solis 6Kw hybrid inverter, 2x Hubble 5.5kWh batteries, 15x 535W JA Solar panels, But I will not be expanding further, this setup will fulfil all our needs.

5 hours ago, andrevanschalkwyk said:

Hi @skillie, I have just gone for the Solis 6KW Hybrid inverter for my specific purpose, but this inverter cannot be used in parallel. Read through various discussions on the forum, you should really consider the Sunsynk hybrid inverters, they can be used in parallel if you want to expand later. It is very evident that Sunsynk probably has the best support of any make/brand and there are tons of information by some very experienced users on this forum. You should also look up a thread started by by @strepies which is quite informative on staging your installation. 

You can also speak to Steve at the Powerforum Store, he is very helpful. I bought all my components from them, Solis 6Kw hybrid inverter, 2x Hubble 5.5kWh batteries, 15x 535W JA Solar panels, But I will not be expanding further, this setup will fulfil all our needs.

+1 for Steve at Powerforumstore.

6 hours ago, andrevanschalkwyk said:

Steve from the Powerforum Store is extremely helpful. Always sound advice.