Growatt performance the last 3 hours, charging battery + wife cooking and using the washing machine.

Antonio de Sa

2 hours ago, PowerUser said:

Are these screenshots supposed to be good or bad?

It would help most of us, unfamiliar with your monitoring application, to point and highlight exactly what we are supposed to be looking at and explain what’s going on…

The screen shots are just to show the performance of my system, I personally think I'm getting value for my investment, the two inverters + 12 X 410 W solar panels are delivering enough juice to power my house. Enough to charge my 5.1 KWH battery, heat up my 3 KW geyser, use our stove to cook.  I need to invest in another battery as the present battery is depleted by +_ 11 O'clock in the evening, then I use a bit of grid power just to keep the battery alive until the next morning.

3 minutes ago, Antonio de Sa said:

The screen shots are just to show the performance of my system, I personally think I'm getting value for my investment, the two inverters + 12 X 410 W solar panels are delivering enough juice to power my house. Enough to charge my 5.1 KWH battery, heat up my 3 KW geyser, use our stove to cook.  I need to invest in another battery as the present battery is depleted by +_ 11 O'clock in the evening, then I use a bit of grid power just to keep the battery alive until the next morning.

I don't know which battery you have but you are right in that you need more batteries since you have 10kw inverter you need a battery that can supply close to that at either 0,5C(20kwh) or 1C(10kwh).

21 minutes ago, Buyeye said:

I don't know which battery you have but you are right in that you need more batteries since you have 10kw inverter you need a battery that can supply close to that at either 0,5C(20kwh) or 1C(10kwh).

Thanks for the feedback. We just extremely careful in handling the loads to make sure that we never exceed the battery capability.

The geyser is switch on at about 11:00 O'clock when my panels are generating +_ 4 KW, within about 1 1/2 h it switches off by itself.

The battery is charged at a very slow amperage I've clipped  the charging current to 20 Amps max--- battery is rated to charge at 50 Amps, not in a hurry to charge it. As you can see from the first screen shot I charge the battery at +_ 1.4 KW and at the same time the geyser is on. so enough pV to supply the load and charge the battery.

The battery is 51.2 V, 100 AH, 5.1 KWH South African LI 

Edited by Antonio de Sa
to add more info.

27 minutes ago, Buyeye said:

To discharge at 1C, you will have to switch on your stove, oven, geyser, aircon, kettle, microwave and all other appliances in the house.. lol. And doing that, you will never run throughout the night with that battery. I bet you will be on eskom in less than two hours 😂

Why on earth will anyone want to rush to discharge the battery beats me, it doesn't make sense. 1C story will never make sense to me. With only 9.6Kwh at 0.5C, I  run my house through out the night.  

19 minutes ago, hoohloc said:

To discharge at 1C, you will have to switch on your stove, oven, geyser, aircon, kettle, microwave and all other appliances in the house.. lol. And doing that, you will never run throughout the night with that battery. I bet you will be on eskom in less than two hours 😂

Why on earth will anyone want to rush to discharge the battery beats me, it doesn't make sense. 1C story will never make sense to me. With only 9.6Kwh at 0.5C, I  run my house through out the night.  

I don't know where you see that I rush to discharge the battery, the only time I use my battery is for about an hour at +_ 2 KW, usually by the time the cooking is done I still have +_ 70% SOC on the battery. Still that is not enough to run till next morning.

as you can very little use of the battery. last six hours.

image.thumb.png.a5b581d5921800c75dba4541b2ae9434.png

Edited by Antonio de Sa

39 minutes ago, hoohloc said:

I wasn't saying one is good or bad. I think freedomwon, BYD have a premium range that can do 1C.

My opinion is that it's a useful feature to have when underspeccing the battery but currently people are missing the point that their 1C battery is still underspec for their inverter as you said and by definition will drain the battery in one hour.

With a 0,5C battery you are constantly reminded that your battery is underspec. 

14 hours ago, Antonio de Sa said:

I don't know where you see that I rush to discharge the battery, the only time I use my battery is for about an hour at +_ 2 KW, usually by the time the cooking is done I still have +_ 70% SOC on the battery. Still that is not enough to run till next morning.

as you can very little use of the battery. last six hours.

image.thumb.png.a5b581d5921800c75dba4541b2ae9434.png

Hi bro, was responding to to @Buyeye about the 0.5C and 1C comment, don't stress, you are not rushing to discharge your battery 😁

13 hours ago, Buyeye said:

I wasn't saying one is good or bad. I think freedomwon, BYD have a premium range that can do 1C.

My opinion is that it's a useful feature to have when underspeccing the battery but currently people are missing the point that their 1C battery is still underspec for their inverter as you said and by definition will drain the battery in one hour.

With a 0,5C battery you are constantly reminded that your battery is underspec. 

I have 0.5C batteries and I'm not under spec, even when I was still running two of them with the two 5Kw inverters, I was still not underspec. I spec my batteries according to my load. If your essential load is only LED lights and a TV, one Pylontec US2000 will be more than enough because you will never draw more than 25A. Having a 10Kw inverter doesn't mean you have to get over 10Kwh battery to match that. That is wrong, the correct way is to look at the load that you want powered by batteries when you have power cuts and size your batteries according to that. 

And when you have the grid, if the battery is not capable of supplying your load, the inverter will draw from the grid or from PV. 1C battery is a nice thing to have, but it is not really a necessity if you plan/design your system well. But I guess we all have different opinions when it comes to this topic  😃

1 hour ago, hoohloc said:

I have 0.5C batteries and I'm not under spec, even when I was still running two of them with the two 5Kw inverters, I was still not underspec. I spec my batteries according to my load. If your essential load is only LED lights and a TV, one Pylontec US2000 will be more than enough because you will never draw more than 25A. Having a 10Kw inverter doesn't mean you have to get over 10Kwh battery to match that. That is wrong, the correct way is to look at the load that you want powered by batteries when you have power cuts and size your batteries according to that. 

And when you have the grid, if the battery is not capable of supplying your load, the inverter will draw from the grid or from PV. 1C battery is a nice thing to have, but it is not really a necessity if you plan/design your system well. But I guess we all have different opinions when it comes to this topic  😃

I appreciate that almost everyone on this forum knows how much electricity each and every appliance in their home uses. But we don't live alone. 

I can run the washing machine, dryer, geyser heat pump and 2 aircons and still be within the 5kw limit. I'm not even counting the base load because I expect that to always be on. But if you run the washing machine on 40 degrees celcius and up you quickly overload the inverter.

I understand that you have a plan but not everyone in our households pays attention to those plans.

All I'm saying is according to the manufacturer a 10kw inverter needs a 20kwh battery at 0,5C to prevent damaging the battery.

1 hour ago, Buyeye said:

I appreciate that almost everyone on this forum knows how much electricity each and every appliance in their home uses. But we don't live alone. 

I can run the washing machine, dryer, geyser heat pump and 2 aircons and still be within the 5kw limit. I'm not even counting the base load because I expect that to always be on. But if you run the washing machine on 40 degrees celcius and up you quickly overload the inverter.

I understand that you have a plan but not everyone in our households pays attention to those plans.

All I'm saying is according to the manufacturer a 10kw inverter needs a 20kwh battery at 0,5C to prevent damaging the battery.

It's just a matter of educating the people in your household, Make them aware that one can only use certain appliances at certain times of the day depending on your PV performance and the capacity of your inverters. Washing is done early in the morning, and the Geyser is switched on at +_ 10 o'clock, Though I have 2 X 5 KVA inverters = 10 KVA, we never exceeded past 4 KVA, and that it's always when the sun is at it's peak, never using battery power. The only time we use battery power is for cooking in the evening and the max usage is 2 KW for about +_ 1 1/2 H

The battery storage energy must be used but never put under stress. In the case of load shedding we look at the relevant time schedule and plan the battery usage accordingly.

As you can see from this screen shot PV 4 KW home consumption just over 3 KW and still charging battery at +_ 12 Amps.

image.thumb.png.1f62fc10026a58e1a67f358aedd1fa10.png

Edited by Antonio de Sa
to add more info.