Sunsync or Victron - Should I replace my Victron system

MorneDJ

I have an existing Victron system, consisting of:

- 1x Venus GX

- 2x Bluesolar 150/45

- 12x 335W panels (3 series, 2 parallel per MPPT)

- Multiplus II 48/3000/35-32

- Some other stuff.

It has been working perfectly since installation in May 2019. I now to plan to increase the system by adding around 4 - 5 kW of solar panels (want to oversize for cloudy days), and have the following options:

Victron:

- 1x SmartSolar 150/100 (Around R13,000) - (3 in 335 W in series, 4 in parallel). Change cables to address the potential 90 A peaks (currently have 10 mm2 cabling - I oversized.

- 1x SmartSolar 250/100 (Around R15,000) - (new solar panels to be decided for around 4000 - 5000W)

- 1x Multiplus II 48/3000/35-32 (Around R18,000 - R20,000) 

Total cost around R46,000 - R50,000, some figuring out how to parallel, some maneuvering with thicker cabling. Amazing community with advice.

Deye/Sunsync

- 1 x 8kW Sunsync (around R32,000)

Cabling is easier. Sell existing system for credit of around R20,000 (Multiplus, Venus, both MPPTs).

Please comment. I am seriously wondering what to do. I know the Victron is the reputable system, but seriously? With this system I can get another Pylontech battery and literally go offgrid. I currently have 5x US3000 Pylons that generally last the whole night, sitting at around 50 - 30 % the next morning.

The Victron works perfectly as is, and I have no change-over switch. When power goes off, we do not even know it (some plugs go off). Will I need a separate change-over switch with the Deye/SunSync?

Edit 2: Another option is to buy a 450/100 MPPT, and connect that to the Venus using the VE.Can cable (I think this is a typical RJ45 network cable from what I have seen). Then I just keep on using my 2 BlueSolar 150/45 MPPTs, connected to the Venus using the existing VE.bus connections. 

Another problem raised with the Deye/Sunsync system (or issues):

- I have 12x 335 W panels, and using the Deye/Sunsync, I can only use a maximum of 10 panels to prevent exceeding the maximum input voltage. I cannot use 6S2P as I have previously measured as much as 25.3A on my current 3S2P setup.

- I am eyeing the 600W CS panels, that can exceed 18A, exceeding the input current limit of the Deye/Sunsync

- It is discussed in the installation manual of Deye/Sunsync, and highlighted on a few other forums that the input to the two MPPT should be balanced (from what I understand is that the voltage, current and wattage should be the same??). This is quite weird.

Edited by MorneDJ
Changed the prices of the stuff, did not check the prices online.

12 minutes ago, MorneDJ said:

Please comment. I am seriously wondering what to do. I know the Victron is the reputable system, but seriously?

Yes, Victron is all about hype! I was told that the Victron is preferable because its easier to upgrade, extend etc..

Maybe that was true 20 yrs ago, but nowadays the Victron is overpriced, old technology and as per your calcs above really expensive to upgrade.One has to patch together many devices as opposed to buying an all-in-one device....

Sunsync all the way, what functionality does the Victron has that the sunsync does not have?

You won't be the first person to throw out a small Victron install in favour of a larger Sunsynk. The Sunsynk's high voltage MPPTs would work well with all of the panels provided that you configure them for two to four strings in series, not parallel, and those nice fat high amp PV cables that you have will perform even better.