Finally took the jump on the solar train.

Hi guys. 

What a fantastic forum this is and I have been researching this solar system setup for the better part of 2 years now, while building up the funds. 

1 x Sunsynk 8kw hybrid inverter (latest wifi dongle included) Stunning interface I must add. Gives a lot of graphs with plenty info. 

2 x Hubble am-2 5.5kwh lithium batteries 

16 x 455w ja mono panels (pushing much more than rated I might add.) 

Installation by Cudub Holdings - very neat installer and installed in 2 days flat. With hubble delaying the battery install as they had stock take month end. 

@system32 helped with the final decision from his post on his system, together with many other guys posts here.  

I tried a bit of solar sell setting to see what the panels can push midday and was pleasantly surprised. 

Bring on load shedding that starts today, batteries are getting me to 5am only, than using a bit of eskom to heat geysers till sun kicks in, my roof is facing NNE @ 30 degree slope, so getting sun very early but loosing it early as well. 

Anyone have pics of the battery setup on sunsynk inverter - installer set batt capacity at 200ah as apposed to 220ah? 

IMG_7350.PNG

1A83522A92453B876C665507FEA1D604.JPG

952C633360A4DC055A78B4EFA433C2F0.JPG

IMG_7359.jpg

IMG_7356.jpg

8 minutes ago, mikeymikez said:

Bring on load shedding that starts today, batteries are getting me to 5am only, than using a bit of eskom to heat geysers till sun kicks in, my roof is facing NNE @ 30 degree slope, so getting sun very early but loosing it early as well. 

You need to start looking at the graphs and seeing when your batteries start discharging and if there are any big loads that you can shift to running earlier in the day.

My house has 10 kw/h of battery. My rule of thumb is that if the batteries are fully charged at 4PM then they will get me through to 6, given that we don't suddenly start welding in the middle of the night etc. So that's two TVs and decoders, fibre, wifi, 2 fridges, 1 freezer, lights (nearly all LED), alarm system, electric fence, phones etc charging, and the heat pump kicking in at 4:30 AM. Occasional microwave usage doesn't cause us major problems. We don't use the electric kettle after 4. We have a gas hob and oven.

So what I am saying is that unless you have some unusual demands, your batteries should be getting you through the night, though you may have to help by moving some loads around.

Thanks @Bobster

I do not think the wife understands the kettle part, we just had a new born arrive so thinking about warming water is not a worry at the moment. Even though there is a gas hob and kettle available. 😀

Been watching graphs and adjusting times as we go, geysers are on cbi azure wifi timers. I think it might be the occasional use of the oven late to cook food (on essential load), My microwave, aircons and washing machines are all inverter driven. I have posted a graph showing soc vs load. 

IMG_7363.jpg

IMG_7362.jpg

1 hour ago, mikeymikez said:

Thanks @Bobster

I do not think the wife understands the kettle part, we just had a new born arrive so thinking about warming water is not a worry at the moment. Even though there is a gas hob and kettle available. 😀

Been watching graphs and adjusting times as we go, geysers are on cbi azure wifi timers. I think it might be the occasional use of the oven late to cook food (on essential load), My microwave, aircons and washing machines are all inverter driven. I have posted a graph showing soc vs load. 

IMG_7363.jpg

IMG_7362.jpg

Wow! Now I see the difference my east-facing panels make in the morning. 

Something is up here though, because it looks like your batteries never get to 100% (if I'm reading the graph right).

Kettles draw a lot for a short time. The biggest problem I had with them was that they and other appliances push up the backed up load momentarily, and it can get too high and the system trips (my system can only back up 4.6 kw, so we have less headroom than you). We don't use if after 4, but we could probably use it a couple of times and get away with it.

Edited by Bobster

It is cut off on that picture , that top reading is 108% - batteries are getting to 100% before 12am.😃

I have added a better one with load added to graph now. It is amazing to see all the parameters one can add to this custom graph. 

That's the reason I never went with the 5kva sunsynk inverter and the apparent noise issue, I have not experienced any tripping yet on the 8kva. 

IMG_7364.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi everyone, some very interesting reading.  i am looking at installing the following through Cudub Solar.

1 x 16Kva Inverter

4 x 5kw Freedom Won eTower batteries

18 x 545W JA solar panels.

Some questions from your previous experience:

1. I take it everyone who used Cudub has been happy with the installation and quality of work?

2. Freedom Won batteries, seems locally made.  Are they decent when compared to the likes fo Hubble and Sunsynk?

Thanks!

On 2023/02/17 at 10:13 AM, Jacks said:

Hi everyone, some very interesting reading.  i am looking at installing the following through Cudub Solar.

1 x 16Kva Inverter

4 x 5kw Freedom Won eTower batteries

18 x 545W JA solar panels.

Some questions from your previous experience:

1. I take it everyone who used Cudub has been happy with the installation and quality of work?

2. Freedom Won batteries, seems locally made.  Are they decent when compared to the likes fo Hubble and Sunsynk?

Thanks!

Freedomwon are good batteries - locally made so there's that peace of mind in terms of support. Hubble - the AM-2s had some issues but the newer AM-5 and AM-10s use a different chemistry. Sunsynk batteries have the benefit if increasing the warranty period if paired with a Sunsynk Inverter