CCTV Cameras flickering on inverter

Douw Gerber

Hi all

Recently had an inverter installed and all is working fine - except my CCTV camera's.  It seems like its an issue with the power supply unit that the cameras are connected to as the actual DVR and monitor attached to it seems fine. The video feed goes black and then comes back again in a pretty consistent time interval.

Anyone here have an idea what may be causing this?

My suggestion is to create yourself a 12V supply network for the cameras, assuming your cameras are 12V.
That's what I did, not for the same reasons though. 
I paralleled all my 12V batteries(Gate motor, Geyser circulation, Alarm system) and I connected my cameras to this 12V circuit as well. 
Still want to replace all the 7A/h Batteries with one single 50 or 100A/h Battery. That would need to be placed close to the gate motor as that is the only high Amp device on this circuit. The rest are all in the milli Amp range.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Henry Herman said:

I seem to have a similar problem. My cctv flikker with lines on screen as soon as I put the breaker switch on that comes from the pv solar panels. Technician said I must put magnet around the pv cables to no success ??

Are your PV cables in close proximity to the cctv cabling at all? High voltage DC can induce voltage in nearby cables causing interference. If so, I would suggest separating them.

8 hours ago, jumper said:

Are your PV cables in close proximity to the cctv cabling at all? High voltage DC can induce voltage in nearby cables causing interference. If so, I would suggest separating them.

A veryimportant point is to use twisted wiring for comms and may be CCTV as well to reduce interference.