What software features would you like?

kylebotha

Hi all, I’m in the process of building some software for inverters, the end goal is to support multiple inverter types and batteries. I have some great ideas of my own but wanted to get some perspective from the peeps in here that already have solar setups, and wanted to see what your pain points are and if you could build some cool software, what features would you add? 

Integration of weather forecasts predicting solar generation for the upcoming few days.

Integrating Time-of-Use time slots and tariffs to determine best strategies for importing and exporting power to and from the grid.

Time-of-Use must account for weekends, public holidays, summer and winter tariffs and time periods, must be programmable to take any future municipal/Eskom changes in time slots. Must allow for easy differentiation between exporting solar power directly, versus exporting battery power.

Simplified monitoring screen for secondary users, wife & kids & non-technically-minded, showing fewer graphs and units, maybe more focused on pictorials with smiling suns, sad clouds, and charging batteries.

Make it an open source project so others can assist.

Alerting/email on events - eg Grid fail, Grid Restored, Battery Low, Battery Full.
Access to sensor readings via mqtt - allows for integration into HomeAssistant / Nodered.
Access to database so I can connect Grafana and develop my own dashboards.

On 2022/10/15 at 9:54 PM, kylebotha said:

Hi all, I’m in the process of building some software for inverters, the end goal is to support multiple inverter types and batteries. I have some great ideas of my own but wanted to get some perspective from the peeps in here that already have solar setups, and wanted to see what your pain points are and if you could build some cool software, what features would you add? 

Two Factor Authentication security by default on access Inverters and batteries before one can be able to change any parameters... there's always a lot of hackers about. Also interested in having multiple softwares being able to work either with IOS, Google, Android, MacOS as we all have various devices that use different APKs.