New synsynk installation, solar panels not performing as expected?

Hi, apologies for inconveniencing you guys with the following questions, first time solar owner.

About 3 weeks ago my sunsynk 5kwh inverter was installed and my 5.32 kwh synsynk battery, they work better than expected and my house draws less power than expected too.

The installer installed the frames and solar panels today, some of them (8 out of 10), each panel is a 465 watt rated JA panel. It's currently 2pm in the winter, there is no shading obstructing the panels, the sun can clearly be viewed, 8 of them are installed and connected to the inverter but they are only generating 400 watts of power. Is this normal for the winter? I looked up my region's generation ability before moving here and it's much better than in Pretoria where I moved from, am currently on the border of the Northern Cape in the North-West province. 

Can anyone advise what the peak hours would be in the winter? 

I would also like to ask, since I got the 5kwh inverter coupled with the 1C rated 5.32 kwh sunsynk battery, how do I apply for the warranty, and do I qualify for the extended warranty?

Thank you in advance for your advice, may this message find you well.

2 minutes ago, Theo27 said:

Apologies, I just tested the stove (which is connected to the inverter) which draws 2.4kwh, then the solar input jumped to a little over 2000watt, so I guess it only draws what is required from the panels.

Yes, if your batteries are fully charged the system will only pull from your PV whatever it needs to keep your house load. 

56 minutes ago, Theo27 said:

Hi, apologies for inconveniencing you guys with the following questions, first time solar owner.

About 3 weeks ago my sunsynk 5kwh inverter was installed and my 5.32 kwh synsynk battery, they work better than expected and my house draws less power than expected too.

The installer installed the frames and solar panels today, some of them (8 out of 10), each panel is a 465 watt rated JA panel. It's currently 2pm in the winter, there is no shading obstructing the panels, the sun can clearly be viewed, 8 of them are installed and connected to the inverter but they are only generating 400 watts of power. Is this normal for the winter? I looked up my region's generation ability before moving here and it's much better than in Pretoria where I moved from, am currently on the border of the Northern Cape in the North-West province. 

Can anyone advise what the peak hours would be in the winter? 

I would also like to ask, since I got the 5kwh inverter coupled with the 1C rated 5.32 kwh sunsynk battery, how do I apply for the warranty, and do I qualify for the extended warranty?

Thank you in advance for your advice, may this message find you well.

You can capture the inverter details on the sunsynk website and they will apply the warranty for you

https://www.sunsynk.org/warranty

Edited by mzezman

55 minutes ago, Theo27 said:

Apologies, I just tested the stove (which is connected to the inverter) which draws 2.4kwh, then the solar input jumped to a little over 2000watt, so I guess it only draws what is required from the panels.

If you get this at 15:15, you should get way more at 12.

Test tomorrow and let us know, cause everything after 3pm for me is way less, due to the sun angle.

Switch on your Oven, kettle and microwave tomorrow, 2kw + 1.8kW + 1.2kW, at 12pm and check what the solar gives.

There is a setting in the inverter by default, called auto balance, so yes it just draws what it needs.

Edited by Eurard

44 minutes ago, Eurard said:

Test tomorrow and let us know, cause everything after 3pm for me is way less, due to the sun angle.

Switch on your Oven, kettle and microwave tomorrow, 2kw + 1.8kW + 1.2kW, at 12pm and check what the solar gives.

There is a setting in the inverter by default, called auto balance, so yes it just draws what it needs.

Assuming its a sunny day of course 🙂

Here is a graph of a typical day's solar production for me. My array is 5.5kW peak. 

image.png.f2f9c8b5d638e0af1d0daf139aafb55f.png

In a nutshell, when the batteries are full, and the geyser is done doing its thing, then solar production falls off a cliff because there is nothing else drawing any significant amounts of power. 

PV array can't continue producing kilowatts if there is nothing using any power.

On 2023/05/16 at 5:22 PM, suds7162 said:

Here is a graph of a typical day's solar production for me. My array is 5.5kW peak. 

image.png.f2f9c8b5d638e0af1d0daf139aafb55f.png

In a nutshell, when the batteries are full, and the geyser is done doing its thing, then solar production falls off a cliff because there is nothing else drawing any significant amounts of power. 

PV array can't continue producing kilowatts if there is nothing using any power.

Thats great output this time of year.

Except if you could feed into the grid .....

Energy must be consumed when it is produced - if you cannot move load to the daytime when the sun is shining you will lose that generation. So move the washing mashine , tumble drier all to the day - If you have a AC you can use that in the afternoon to heat /cool your house . 

Form my customer base - the only people that have a sinewave PV curve are those that feed into the network or have an undersized panel for the load. 

On 2023/05/19 at 12:25 PM, Eurard said:

Thats great output this time of year.

I'm in Pretoria, PV is not really affected by the seasons that much. 

How winter affects solar output in every province in SA | News24

And in fact, I have had a couple of instances of overproduction, very cold mornings with some clouds results in my PV going all the way up to 6kW, even if my nameplate capacity is 5.5kW.

On 2023/05/16 at 4:05 PM, Eurard said:

I did test it thank you, a little over 3700 watt was installed at the time and it peaked at about 2880 watts when I put the geyser or stove on. The other two 465 watt panels were installed today so it's done and I will test tomorrow to see what the new peak power production is. It seems it's about 75% efficiency. 

I had him install it on the back instead of facing the front so as to minimize the chance of theft since you can't see them from the street. Do you think 75% efficiency is good this time of the year my friend?

On 2023/05/22 at 1:27 PM, suds7162 said:

I'm in Pretoria, PV is not really affected by the seasons that much. 

How winter affects solar output in every province in SA | News24

And in fact, I have had a couple of instances of overproduction, very cold mornings with some clouds results in my PV going all the way up to 6kW, even if my nameplate capacity is 5.5kW.

This is just not true, the days are shorter so you will get less sun hours. The angel of the sun to the horizon is much worse so you will get less irradiance. All negatively impacting the potential of a PV cell to turn sunlight into electrons.

You might be overspecced on panels which is why you do not notice it, but saying PV is not impacted by the seasons is no different to saying the earth is flat.

On 2023/05/24 at 11:41 PM, Theo27 said:

I did test it thank you, a little over 3700 watt was installed at the time and it peaked at about 2880 watts when I put the geyser or stove on. The other two 465 watt panels were installed today so it's done and I will test tomorrow to see what the new peak power production is. It seems it's about 75% efficiency. 

I had him install it on the back instead of facing the front so as to minimize the chance of theft since you can't see them from the street. Do you think 75% efficiency is good this time of the year my friend?

Theo,

I have brand spanking new panels, 4960W and got max so far 4.03kW - Or 81%, so 75% seems in the region, you might have a slight angle difference or your ambient temp at 12 might be slightly higher, it is pretty cold over here