LED Indicator Light Wiring

SRY

I was wondering if someone could assist or point me in the right direction. I’ve just completed my Inverter/Backup Battery installation and for the life of me I just can’t wrap my head around the wiring for my LED Indicator lights. They are for my changeover panel and next to the Inverter Grid and Load switches respectively. Do I wire them up on the top or bottom terminals (L & N)? or does it not matter? I've attached a pic of my LED Indicator lights on my panel.

Change Over_01.jpg

22 minutes ago, SRY said:

Do I wire them up on the top or bottom terminals (L & N)?

They need to go on the outgoing side of the breaker, so e.g if the grid breaker is off then the light is off, or if the grid is off then the light is also off.
That indicator light is to show if there is live power on the circuit going from the grid to the inverter or to the loads.

You can also double up to indicate both sides of the breaker to fully indicate state of power in the circuits from both ends. Just be sure to label accordingly.

Edited by WannabeSolarSparky

Maybe follow the example most installers use and put the changeover in the centre then the 2 indicators to left and right of changeover, and the incoming feed breakers to the left next to them and the incoming inverter load breaker to the right of the light, that way you keep each side separate and everything makes much more sense.

1 - breaker going to inverter ( usually used to isolate inverter for maintenance or repairs or upgrades )
2 - surge arrestor to inverter breaker and change-over
3 - incoming main breaker from main grid
4 - red indicator - signals grid on/off
5 - changeover - goes to essential loads
6 - green indicator - signals from inverter on/off
7 - breaker coming from inverter to change-over

Edited by WannabeSolarSparky

1 minute ago, TaliaB said:

Please add 5 x 20mm or 6 x 30mm 1 amp inline fuses to the live wires running to all your indicators(pilot lights).

Sf0325944a0374f4a979b17d1df86db93T.jpg_480x480Q90.jpeg.7b8e994edbdf216efe52b2057eaa9534.jpeg

Yip I have them fused just did not show on this quick drawing I did this afternoon 😉
I have fuses and breakers everywhere, this equipment is dam expensive so I am a bit paranoid.

9 hours ago, TaliaB said:

Please add 5 x 20mm or 6 x 30mm 1 amp inline fuses to the live wires running to all your indicators(pilot lights).

Sf0325944a0374f4a979b17d1df86db93T.jpg_480x480Q90.jpeg.7b8e994edbdf216efe52b2057eaa9534.jpeg

Hi, do I require these fuses for the live wires on the DIN type LED indicators I have?

Thanks for your input Wannabe. Just another question, I see in your diagram that you running an Earth wire back to your main DB. Are you connecting it to the main DB earth bar or are you running it to another standalone Earth bar?

40 minutes ago, SRY said:

Hi, do I require these fuses for the live wires on the DIN type LED indicators I have?

Yes either fuses or if you have space 1 amp mcb to protect the Led in case of large fault currents. I know not a lot of electricians deem this unnecessary but as a safety point of view fit them.

Edited by TaliaB

13 minutes ago, SRY said:

Thanks for your input Wannabe. Just another question, I see in your diagram that you running an Earth wire back to your main DB. Are you connecting it to the main DB earth bar or are you running it to another standalone Earth bar?

All my earths are connected to the main incoming earth.

Thanks for everyone's assistance. I've put fuse wires on the Live and connected the Neutrals, as suggested.

See pics below: 1st pic was taken during loadshedding, so only load light is on. Next pic is when the power came back on and the Grid light came on.

Hopefully I did that all correct and can close all the covers now. 🙂

Change Over_03.jpg

Change Over_04.jpg

1 hour ago, SRY said:

Thanks for everyone's assistance. I've put fuse wires on the Live and connected the Neutrals, as suggested.

See pics below: 1st pic was taken during loadshedding, so only load light is on. Next pic is when the power came back on and the Grid light came on.

Hopefully I did that all correct and can close all the covers now. 🙂

Change Over_03.jpg

Change Over_04.jpg

Nicely done💯