Axpert PIP 4048MS fan replacement

PierreJ

I've got a PIP 4048MS inverter that started throwing error 01 (fan trouble), so I opened it up and noticed that the left fan is not spinning. After swapping the two fan headers the right one keeps spinning, so I assume the left one has failed. (It was manufactured in May 2015, so it's about time for things to start going wrong.)

The fan is an ADDA model AD0812XB-A7FGP. Here's a link to it that I found online: https://www.elecok.com/adda-8025-12v-0-55a-ad0812xb-a7fgp.html 

The problem is I've been unable to find it locally, and it is not listed at www.adda.com.tw, so I suspect it may be discontinued. Is there a similar fan that is more readily available that will also work?

Thanks!

@PierreJ Have a look @ this fan @ Wootware https://www.wootware.co.za/cooler-master-mfx-b8nn-25npk-r1-sickleflow-80-80mm-4-pin-pwm-case-fan.html.

The fan which is problematic can be cleaned for temporary use, go to the pharmacy and buy 2x 5ml syringes, 2x needle for the syringes and Isopropyl alcohol or spirits, draw some of the Isopropyl alcohol or spirits and inject that into the motor of the van and turn the fan by hand.

The injection site on the fan is in the middle of the label with all the specifications on, inject a bit and turn the fan and inject and turn until 5ml has been injected and see if the fan turns easily by hand if the fan is still not turning continue with the syringe and Isopropyl alcohol or spirits. In the second syringe draw up a thin oil like Q20 or 3 in 1, if it is a spray can draw out the plunger and spray a bit into the syringe and use it that way then inject a couple of drops of the oil into the fan to lubricate the fan, clean the label which has been punctured by the needles with some toilet paper and Isopropyl alcohol or spirits and put a piece or 2 of clear sellotape over the label.

As stated above this is only a temporary fix, I have done it a couple of times on a couple of computer fans so that replacements can be ordered.

Kind Regards

GerhardK83

The fan which is problematic can be cleaned for temporary use

When I opened up the inverter case I was fully expecting to be met with a mountain of dust, so I was already armed with a blower, switch cleaner and lubricating oil. However, for an 8 year old system it was remarkably free of dust.

Unfortunately for me it looks like the issue is electrical and not mechanical. The fan turns freely, and if you flick it it spins for a while before coming to a stop (even when no power is applied), so the bearings seem intact and there is very little friction.

It's a 4-wire PWM fan, so I'm suspecting something in the driver circuit has died. I haven't opened it up yet, but perhaps there's a transistor or capacitor in there that's shot? Is this something that happens?

Thanks for the help.

It's a 4-wire PWM fan, so I'm suspecting something in the driver circuit has died. I haven't opened it up yet, but perhaps there's a transistor or capacitor in there that's shot? Is this something that happens?

The fan circuit is remarkably simple:

image.thumb.png.9110cfdf5ad86afca37c34d11d9cc12a.png

Since the right hand fan works, and the fans are basically connected in parallel except for the sense wire, it's unlikely to be a hardware issue, unless it's a blown or corroded PCB track. But you swapped the two plugs, and if I understand correctly the right fan continued to work and the left stayed stopped, so it has to be the fan. Probably an open circuit coil or more likely failed driver electronics inside the brushless "DC" fan. It's really an AC fan with a DC driver circuit included.

It may actually be possible to repair the driver electronics, but probably better to replace the fan.

You may want to consider reversing the fan flow direction; as it is, the idling fans basically oppose the natural convection (hot air rises). Also consider a fancier, quieter fan, but make sure it moves about the same volume of air per unit time (usually measured in cave-man units that I won't utter here 🤢).

Edit: I just noticed that I left the highlight on from my search. Under the word "CN5" is the word "FAN2". Sorry about that.

Edited by Coulomb

But you swapped the two plugs, and if I understand correctly the right fan continued to work and the left stayed stopped, so it has to be the fan.

That is correct. The left fan span spins freely when flicked, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the bearings or some kind of mechanical blockage.

It may actually be possible to repair the driver electronics, but probably better to replace the fan.

Yes, I would prefer to replace it. The current fan is 80x80x25, 12V @ 0.55A. I can't find the spec for the fan, so I don't know how much air it moves, but I assume a fan with similar wattage will move a comparable amount of air.

I notice that SegenSolar stock replacement fans for the entire range of Kodak (Voltronic) inverters that they sell, but they don't give any specs on them so I don't know which (if any) will fit. I believe the mapping of the Kodak product names is as follows:

OG 5.48 = Axpert VM III

OG-PLUS 5.48 = Axpert King II

OGS 5.6 = Axpert VM 4

OG 7.2 = Axpert Max 7.2

OG 10 = Axpert Max II

Do you know off-hand whether the fan of any of the above inverters will be suitable?

Thanks!

That is correct. The left fan span spins freely when flicked, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the bearings or some kind of mechanical blockage.

Yes, I would prefer to replace it. The current fan is 80x80x25, 12V @ 0.55A. I can't find the spec for the fan, so I don't know how much air it moves, but I assume a fan with similar wattage will move a comparable amount of air.

I notice that SegenSolar stock replacement fans for the entire range of Kodak (Voltronic) inverters that they sell, but they don't give any specs on them so I don't know which (if any) will fit. I believe the mapping of the Kodak product names is as follows:

OG 5.48 = Axpert VM III

OGS 5.6 = Axpert VM 4

OG 7.2 = Axpert Max 7.2

OG 10 = Axpert Max II

Do you know off-hand whether the fan of any of the above inverters will be suitable?

Thanks!

The OG7. 2 upwards has fan size of 80x80x37mm as opposed to 80x80x25mm. Also they are specified at 0.9A which much higher current. So I think you need to stick with the 5kW machine specs, ie. OG5. 48 ones. 

Do all the models use 4-pin fans, and is the pinout and connector the same?

I am actually not sure , but all the machines I repaired had 4 pin , that included OG5.48a , Older 5kW MKS models including  clones, OG7.2 , OG 10 and Kings .  The exception could be the 5kW VM (OG5.48) models , as I know the fans are always screeching at full speed!. Maybe  @Coulomb can confirm for us .

Edited by BritishRacingGreen

I do have a fan for you let me know if you want it.... you just have to arrange shipping, no charge for the fan...

Awesome, thank you very much! I've sent you a private message.

Edited by PierreJ

I believe that the OG-plus is an Axpert King 1, i.e. 145V max PV. I think there is a slight variant of the Kidak model name for an Axpert King II (high voltage PV model). But I assume that should make no difference as far as fans go. 

OG 10 = Axpert Max II

Probably the Axpert Max II 10kW non-twin. 

The exception could be the 5kW VM (OG5.48) models , as I know the fans are always screeching at full speed!. Maybe  @Coulomb can confirm for us .

I suspect, but can't confirm, that VM IIIs have 3-pin fans. Hence the lack of variable speed control. A VM III service manual should confirm. I'm away from keyboard at present. 

On 2023/10/03 at 8:41 PM, Dewald Brink said:

I do have a fan for you let me know if you want it.... you just have to arrange shipping, no charge for the fan...

Dewald, I just wanted to say that you very much for the fan. I installed it this afternoon and everything is working perfectly again. :)