Solis 5G energy storage hybrid

Stephan van Tonder

Hi all. My first post here. I have been reading here for a bundle of months. Want to buy an inverter that can feed excess solar to the grid ie items not on the essential bus. I know sunsync / deye and the s6 solis can but then I came across this guy which seems to do exactly that and at a decent price. Anybody have one of these you can share your experience with?

https://powerforum-store.co.za/collections/inverters/products/solis-energy-storage-6kw-hybrid-5g-inverter-with-dc-switch

Edited by Stephan van Tonder
Added link

17 minutes ago, Kalahari Meerkat said:

Read the spec sheet its really 3kW on the AC end, from what I can see, so a 3kW inverter, if that would cover your needs... go for it, don't know these units myself, though...

Perhaps one should look at the spec sheet. I read it as 6kW and not 3kW.

IMG_20231128_091431.thumb.jpg.42cf4a765ea3888f91a450046f2c509f.jpg

18 minutes ago, Scorp007 said:

Perhaps one should look at the spec sheet. I read it as 6kW and not 3kW.

Hold your horses, I did, but since the actual model number wasn't given by @Stephan van Tonder, what I saw was clear as mud and going by the spec sheet...
Screenshot_2023-11-28_09-34-47.png.f5942475d5fbf62706bf758d2fc53036.png

I'm seeing the 3-6 and translating it, erroneously, it seems as 3.6...

Screenshot_2023-11-28_09-34-24.png.9f15b8268cb29013fb929c411810571a.png

So, it could still be, since the linked page does not seem to give the exact model number either, or maybe I'm just going fricken blind... actually worse, the URL says 6kW, the page says 5kW... WTF? I personally would keep my fingers off this, since even without my mistake the rest seems not exactly clear... 🙂 just my opinion...

1 hour ago, Stephan van Tonder said:

Hi all. My first post here. I have been reading here for a bundle of months. Want to buy an inverter that can feed excess solar to the grid ie items not on the essential bus. I know sunsync / deye and the s6 solis can but then I came across this guy which seems to do exactly that and at a decent price. Anybody have one of these you can share your experience with?

https://powerforum-store.co.za/collections/inverters/products/solis-energy-storage-6kw-hybrid-5g-inverter-with-dc-switch

Have one of these. And it does what you need it to. Feeds excess to non-essential circuits as well as excess of excess to grid if you so choose. Has the option to block export.

the 3kw is limited on the Backup AC port - so anything on essential is limited to 3kw. Which is for the most part more than enough for essential loads. Non essentials benefit from PV when the grid is available. That's when i choose to go balls to the wall and run the geyser, dishwasher, washing machine etc etc etc

17 minutes ago, Kalahari Meerkat said:

Hold your horses, I did, but since the actual model number wasn't given by @Stephan van Tonder, what I saw was clear as mud and going by the spec sheet...
Screenshot_2023-11-28_09-34-47.png.f5942475d5fbf62706bf758d2fc53036.png

I'm seeing the 3-6 and translating it, erroneously, it seems as 3.6...

Screenshot_2023-11-28_09-34-24.png.9f15b8268cb29013fb929c411810571a.png

So, it could still be, since the linked page does not seem to give the exact model number either, or maybe I'm just going fricken blind... actually worse, the URL says 6kW, the page says 5kW... WTF? I personally would keep my fingers off this, since even without my mistake the rest seems not exactly clear... 🙂 just my opinion...

100% correct. You are reading the specs of a 3.6kW unit and not a 6kW. Look at the top of the column for the size. 

15 minutes ago, Scorp007 said:

100% correct. You are reading the specs of a 3.6kW unit and not a 6kW. Look at the top of the column for the size. 

I know, but you are reading the specs of the 6kW, when the 5kW unit seems to be the actual one, I believe...Screenshot_2023-11-28_10-22-26.png.1c884df14c1ded977cf1a6366a062726.png

The URL says ...6kw-hybrid-5g... but the description says 5kW Hybrid 5G... and the 6kW is also only 5kW on the essential side, it is 6kW to the non-essential side... best deal, go for the 4.6kW unit, it is also 5kW to the essential side, maybe only if the grid is around? not clear...

3 hours ago, Kalahari Meerkat said:

I know, but you are reading the specs of the 6kW, when the 5kW unit seems to be the actual one, I believe...Screenshot_2023-11-28_10-22-26.png.1c884df14c1ded977cf1a6366a062726.png

The URL says ...6kw-hybrid-5g... but the description says 5kW Hybrid 5G... and the 6kW is also only 5kW on the essential side, it is 6kW to the non-essential side... best deal, go for the 4.6kW unit, it is also 5kW to the essential side, maybe only if the grid is around? not clear...

Sorry my mistake. I only saw the link that indicated S5 6kw. The body mentioned the S6. Without going into detail or re reading the whole topic but for sure the 4.6kW is a grid tied only and not sure if they do make a 4.6kw with storage in the S5 range. 

This is one of those brands where one must be specific. 

IMG_20231128_132727.thumb.jpg.70c014d36f04a1fb3e855b36c2fd2ebd.jpg

Thanks for the for sale link. Have asked. Complete missed that, was hectic with other stuff. Yes even if there is only 3kw on backup it will still work for me as long as I can go flatout on excess pv when it’s available. I also have seen several different specs varying from 3kw to 5kw. But as long as it does the feedback to grid it will do what I want. Thanks for everybody that weighed in. 

Ok so I bought Alex’s used S6 hybrid. Hope it the right decision but too late now 🙃
will have to look at HA / SA now and see. Phoenix you got HA working and you can change setup? No need to use the standard  solis thing that seemed problematic when I read that inverter review? What hardware do I need for that? The s2-wl-st and then raspberry Pi? 

Ok so I bought Alex’s used S6 hybrid. Hope it the right decision but too late now 🙃
will have to look at HA / SA now and see. Phoenix you got HA working and you can change setup? No need to use the standard  solis thing that seemed problematic when I read that inverter review? What hardware do I need for that? The s2-wl-st and then raspberry Pi? 

Yeah solis modbus works great, the datalogger that comes with it is more than enough. Depending on the firmware running, you might just need to ask for a firmware upgrade from support, which takes around 1hr in business hours, the SA support is luckily pretty speedy. 

If you already have HA running on hardware, then you need nothing else.

I will be doing a more easy to use integration in the next week (open source), and then alternatively a cheap <=R500 hardware version (have to sign an NDA to get all protocols, so need to make it proprietary)

Once you get it, and you need help with the integration, just send me a PM 

12 hours ago, Stephan van Tonder said:

Sadly don’t have anything like HA runninng nor own anything like R-Pi. I also believe they are very hard to find these days. I see RS sells a rokt or something board that i see can also run HA. Will have to buy something for that. Yeah no issue signing non disclosure anything. I don’t have many friends anyway 🙃 

They are fairly available again at this stage, but I find that running on another type of machine, like an Intel NUC or the other ultra small form factor PC's, like Lenovo ThinkCentre, is possibly a better option, more horsepower available and cost wise, if you have to buy, you can usually get a 2nd hand NUC or similar at a fairly decent price and then you could even run HA as a virtual machine and not dedicate the machine to just HA.

Ha. Found one of the members selling a pi. So sorted there too. Now just to get this lot installed. 

You are just in time for the integration. 

I have created an easy to use hacs integration, which polls the modbus considerably less, and more frequently (5s) than the available solutions. So the dongle included will work perfectly fine (from the tests thusfar)

• 3 months later...
On 2023/12/02 at 2:38 PM, Pho3niX90 said:

You are just in time for the integration. 

I have created an easy to use hacs integration, which polls the modbus considerably less, and more frequently (5s) than the available solutions. So the dongle included will work perfectly fine (from the tests thusfar)

Ok so I am getting my solis up and running today. I have a R-pi and have out home assistant on it. I sent a PM if you could have a look and give me a hand with your setup on HA. Much appreciated.