24 x 450W solar tracker

DDD

My frame for 16 x 500W panels;  A pdf is uploaded with accurate measurements. To go to 24 panels the 20 x 40 rectangle tubing must be replaced with 20 x 40 x 4mm or when mounted higher than 9 meters 20 x 40 x 6mm.  When upgrading to 24 panels the mounting plate get changed from 10mm to 20mm thickness and two bearings are used in stead of 1 for additional strength

image.thumb.png.141d7fbd9e377b4f92f8fd57f1e89503.png

SolarStructure.pdf

I had this "bracket cut from 20mm mild steel and welded on to the frame. An accurate drawing is attached in PDF formet.

image.thumb.png.e7cb0ccd7fd20754c58d3f0a73556602.png

MountingBracket .jpg

BearinHolderPlum.pdf

The mounting plate for the solar panels on top of the gearbox.

image.thumb.png.42df7094330978c42cc5efdc53f6e161.png

SolarPanelMount.pdf

Edited by Erastus

41 minutes ago, plonkster said:

Looks like standard wiper motors?

Not sure,

They have more torque I believe and they operate from 12 - 24 peak burst of 36V allowed.  12V = +/- 26 RPM 24 +/- 52 RPM. It also have a locking gear that acts as a "brake". 

Not sure what the speks are of a wiper motor. But I recon a wiper motor should be fine. I did everything new to get all costs etc. Once done I will install another 11 trackers at my house and then another 100 trackers at another area. This exercise is the pre-production run in order to see the final pitfalls and improvements before I make 10 plus in one go. The 10 will be less expensive as the gears I will also ship in and not fly in.  The 100 units will have 20 panels per tracker or 10Kwatt units to work with my 10Kwatt 3 phase inverter. 100 units should generate +/- 1Mw.  Flying in permanent magnetic motors are more expensive

The total cost of these two motors delivered at my house was R 529 VAT & TAXES.  The two motors was R 1530 flown in.  When I order the next lot it will be shipped via sea. The total cost for the two was just over the  R 2060.  I could not get these motors at a better price.  Shipment via ship will mean the motor cost will drop by +/- R400. The 200 odd will accompany my other 500W 48.7V solar panels.

It is for this reason I did not go for a motor that one can reuse.  I am sure the wiper motors will work fine.  I can swing twenty odd panels with my small finger. Virtical up and down will have to lift 15Kg ( can be adjusted to fit the motor).

Edited by Erastus

On 2019/10/16 at 4:04 PM, Erastus said:

I will install another 11 trackers at my house

Just out of interest.

You are installing allot of trackers, does that mean you will have 11 gearboxes with its own rig & panels at different location by your house?

Gerrie,

If you look at the google map of my property you will see I have a very long drive way.  The council is allowing me to build a garage on it (Pink area).  Therefore it will be an ideal place to mount these devices.  It also allow met to test performance and see if it works the way it should.

Regards

image.thumb.png.e6e874f0d60301f3c25a568f18cb3fc7.png

Edited by Erastus

The unit is complete and will be installed on Monday.

These photo's are of the complete unit with the turn table.
The turn table drops down onto the 85mm solid shaft.  It has 3 plates:

1. 10mm round (strengthener plate)
  2. 10mm rectangular  ( Cary plate for panels)
  3. 5mm round plate. Act as a "pull down plate".

The 24mm 12.9 bolt equals the strength of the 8 6mm 12.9 therefore doubling the Nm.

20191019_102108_resized.thumb.jpg.87664f99a75f83404571f84c29c05291.jpg20191019_102119_resized.thumb.jpg.bd9dccf98292a1dfdb60389931d20d68.jpg

Edited by Erastus

• 2 weeks later...

Today after the storms I did the mounting of the turntable. Tomorrow will do the mounting of the panels.
The mounting of the panels and frame should take +/- 30 minutes then we the commercial prototype is done.

Today I have placed an order for the more improved version of the production run. After I dealt with the people in SA I recon I will approached some other people to get it made for me and then bring a batch in via ship with another container of solar panels.

The small gear been on the roof for +/- 6 days and already rusted  🙄😀🙄

The table is torqued at 140Nm.   The bearings are doing very well under that strain and I can still turn the table with my fingers.

The blue pipe in the back is my neighbor and my water plant from sea water to fresh water.  So the council inspector was very upset and an email was send to me that I am not allowed to use sea water because what will we do if the sea dries up.

Now to get all up and running again.

20191031_152359_resized.jpg

20191031_152407_resized.jpg

Edited by Erastus

1 hour ago, Erastus said:

Today after the storms I did the mounting of the turntable. Tomorrow will do the mounting of the panels.
The mounting of the panels and frame should take +/- 30 minutes then we the commercial prototype is done.

Today I have placed an order for the more improved version of the production run. After I dealt with the people in SA I recon I will approached some other people to get it made for me and then bring a batch in via ship with another container of solar panels.

The small gear been on the roof for +/- 6 days and already rusted  🙄😀🙄

The table is torqued at 140Nm.   The bearings are doing very well under that strain and I can still turn the table with my fingers.

The blue pipe in the back is my neighbor and my water plant from sea water to fresh water.  So the council inspector was very upset and an email was send to me that I am not allowed to use sea water because what will we do if the sea dries up.

Now to get all up and running again.

20191031_152359_resized.jpg

20191031_152407_resized.jpg

you are joking, aren't you ?

LOL, i can understand why the  CT inspectors are concerned. You and your neighbor are not joking, you'll desalinate whole ocean for yourselves . Very selfish from you, no doubt about that. I understand why we have to have all those  inspectors on our backs . 😀

Edited by ibiza

On 2019/10/31 at 5:35 PM, ibiza said:

The small gear been on the roof for +/- 6 days and already rusted 

That bearing looks like its from a ship wreck😁

I use cold galvanizing spray at my south coast pozzie on my gate wheels and steel parts and it works wonders, I recently had to replace parts on my gate that I installed in 2006 and the galv spray was still intact but the steelwork inside was missing.

That gear of yours could do with a bit of that medicine.😎

Buy bearings which are enclosed.

Use the grease recommended by the USA military.

Lithium grease worked well for me on underground conveyor idler bearings as it could handle water.

Did a lot of research on it about 30 years ago. So my knowledge is ancient lol.

3 hours ago, Johandup said:

Lithium grease

That stuff is awesome. I bought a can of that ages ago to repair a BMW window regulator. You zip-tie the stupid cable-pull systems into the bracket that it tends to break out of... the you lubricate the rails with the lithium grease. Man.... I'm so glad that car is gone.

• 1 month later...