Solar = Adsl line drops sync

SYC

Question

Hi

Not so serious but weird issue, picked up today that when I'm on solar during the day, my adsl line (router dlink G225) drops sync all the time ( connect to Kodak Axpert MKII 14 x 335 Canadian Solar (7S2P) 1 x US2000 Pylontech 2 xUS3000 Pylontech Pi)

Left on Util the entire day and internet was fine

Now at night with no solar and inverter running on util internet started dropping sync again

I have tried switching to a brand new router out of the box does the same thing happens line drops

Switched off inverter and bypassed to Eskom, lo and behold internet is fine again

It sucks its either solar or internet (rock and hard place)😡  Why am I being punished !!!!

What could the issue be ? ( have reported the line to Hellkom)

13 answers to this question

@Coulomb or any of the Axpert experts.

I was swapped the load to Axpert King and everything is working perfectly fine the way it use to with Infini 

What could the problem be?  internet cuts:

1. When on solar/battery

2. When charging batteries from util

3. Its really weird i even tried powering router from util while on solar (non essential plug point) 

Is fine when in bypass mode/solar charging batteries

An ADSL router will typically loose sync if there is interference on the telephone line - especially if the interference couples slightly differently into the two telephone wires.

My guess is that the problem is caused by switching noise, generated on the Axpert AC output, which is being coupled into the ADSL line.

Suggestions:

• Try a different power supply for the ADSL Router (ideally a transformer-based PSU).
  • Try re-routing the ADSL line so that it does not run parallel to any mains cables.

Edited by NigelL

25 minutes ago, NigelL said:
  • Try a different power supply for the ADSL Router (ideally a transformer-based PSU).
  • Try re-routing the ADSL line so that it does not run parallel to any mains cables.

Tried that completely new router 

Adsl line not wired near mains and only happens with MKII inverter

I still think there is a possibility that noise is coupling from the AC Mains to the ADSL line, via the Router Power Supply. 

A transformer-based power supply should not couple noise into the ADSL line.  Alternatively, if you have a small UPS,  try using this to power your ADSL Router with AC mains to the UPS unplugged.

4 minutes ago, NigelL said:

try using this to power your ADSL Router with AC mains to the UPS unplugged.

Thanks really appreciate your input

Tried that also, I have done an extensive eliminating exercise 

That why the Q ? , I agree with you totally that its noise related but why only with MKII and NOT with Axpert 5k or Axpert King or Infini solar  

I even tried a ferrit ring on positive AC output 

Ok so I switched load on MKII to solar even though it is not supplying anything in the house or evening to to the main DB.

Load has it's own DB for pool pump and borehole it still cuts internet.

The only common is AC in

I guess we will just have to wait for helkom to get back to work or for them to complete fibre installation so I can get rid of helkom line forever

In the mean time will be loosing out on Solar 😭

Edited by Quat Allah Al Shams
left out comment

8 hours ago, Quat Allah Al Shams said:

What could the problem be?  internet cuts:

1. When on solar/battery

2. When charging batteries from util

The common item there is the inverter proper. Utility charging is the inverter working in reverse (AC to DC converter, instead of the usual DC to AC converter).

3. Its really weird i even tried powering router from util while on solar (non essential plug point) 

And... did it work? I'll guess it didn't (i.e. the internet still dropped out).

Is fine when in bypass mode/solar charging batteries

I assume that if in bypass mode and there is no utility charging, the inverter proper must be switched off / not switching. 

So I'd guess that some of the usual RFI suppressing circuitry isn't working for your Kodak Axpert MKS II. Possibly some part was left out, or didn't solder properly, and their factory testing didn't pick that up. Assuming it's still under warranty, I'd say get your supplier to swap your Kodak for a new one, or get it repaired under warranty, however that works with your supplier.

One final thought. The spike suppressing capacitors connect to ground / earth / chassis. Is it possible that your earth connection isn't present, or is somehow compromised? Perhaps do a resistance check from some conducting part of the chassis (say a screw) to your earth connection, maybe to your metal water pipes. There should be less than an ohm of resistance. Though when you tested with an Axpert King, was that using the same earth? It's not clear to me how the tests with other inverters was performed.

Hi

I have the same ADSL router problem. Router looses sync when load is supported by solar only. 

I also think the problem is noise related to the ADSL line through the router. I don't think telkom infrastructure can handle solar.

Any suggestions?

It might be the PV wiring radiating EMI, especially if you have a model with the higher voltage (450 or 500 V max) solar charge controller. It might be possible to separate the ADSL cable from the PV wiring, or insert some sort of shield between them. Alternatively, perhaps insert suitably rated filters (maybe just ferrite beads) into /onto the PV wiring.

It could also be noise in the AC output of the inverter, though that should also be present when running from battery.

A portable AM radio tuned off channel may be useful for tracking down the EMI, and evaluating any filters that you might try.

Do you have an "ADSL Pots filter" connected with a phone? If so, disconnect the filter from the jack, as this might be causing EMI feedback from the telephone chord, possible running close to AC power.

I suppose you have already changed the chord from the jack to the ADSL modem? Also open the jack and check for secure wiring.