HELP! Axpert King erratic operation in SUB mode

Twakdaddy

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, I sincerely hope there are a few bright sparks who can help me out?

My setup:

Inverter: 5KW Axpert King (ERS King 5K,  Firmware 71.80)  See attached data label

Battery: 2 x 3.5KW Pylontechs

PV's: 12 x Jinko 315W, 35Vdc (4 x stings of 3 panels delivering 105Vdc)

Monitoring: ICC PIE

I want to run the system in SUB mode so that I can use all the energy the panels produce in my load and if it falls short I want to blend from the utility. I want to keep my batteries full and ready for power outages and load shedding only.  All my research and conversations with others led me to believe that the King could do this but I am starting to doubt this.  When I run in SBU mode the inverter takes all the energy the PV arrays provide and draws basically zero from the grid.  The graph is smooth and the PV's carry all the load.  If clouds come over the battery will kick in and supplement the load.  See below, the second half of the graph.

2021405329_WhatsAppImage2020-02-12at08_34_30.thumb.jpeg.5b620078c1496929fed755ccb35cc6c6.jpeg

When I switch to SUB I expect a similar operation except the utility to kick in if the PV's fall short.  This however does not happen, the inverter seems to loose its head a bit.  Is seems as though the load is covered by utility and the PV's and batteries also seem to come to the party at erratic intervals??  See below pic?  In the previous picture you can see the oscillations at the beginning of the graph prior to switching to SBU mode.  Note how energy is drawn from the utility, battery and solar panels at the same time?  Not sure what is doing with it all but clearly something is wrong?  I have thoroughly checked the wiring and all PV strings are balanced and delivering the right voltage and there is more than enough PV power to carry the load.

732447354_WhatsAppImage2020-02-12at13_34_03.thumb.jpeg.a5f02a4d8477fc800e0e86d29403012e.jpeg

The below image clearly shows the oscillations in question.  Please note at the time this picture was taken that 3.5KW of PV power was ready in full sunshine.

1738182137_WhatsAppImage2020-02-12at08_03_54.thumb.jpeg.a2dd6dd4d92ee62f513d42b4c8ac972f.jpeg1963302296_WhatsAppImage2020-02-16at20_02_10.thumb.jpeg.aececed24b5073cfc47eb62ce7a19094.jpeg

Here are the inverter settings.  If anyone can shed light on the problem I will be most grateful as I have trawled the internet and come up with very little?

Thanx guys

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-12 at 08.03.54.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-16 at 19.19.15.jpeg

@ Conley,  Thanx for your input, much appreciated!  Could I perhaps ask if you could send me your inverter settings so I can compare them to mine?  Another thing, my inverter works perfectly in SBU mode but not in SUB?  WOuld you perhaps be willing to switch your inverter to SUB mode during the sunshine and send me a picture of your graph for say a 10 min period?

37 minutes ago, Twakdaddy said:

@RichieRich Thx for the feedback.  I have tried this setting but my woes continue.  Can you perhaps share your inverter settings with me?  If you running ICC could you share a picture of your graphs? See oscillations on my inverter when SUB mode is on

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-17 at 14.32.33.jpeg

These are my current settings. One thing I have noticed is if I put my inverter  into SUB it doesn’t always work as it should however if I set it to eco mode first, then to SUB it behaves better. 

ive set mine to sub now and will post a graph a bit later once my solar has dropped off a bit. 

4B8C35F2-4919-43E5-8BD7-7133DD7D01A3.jpeg

@RichieRich Wow, that is what I'm after, this sure gives me hope!! You can see towards the end of the day, your grid graph is inversely proportional to your solar grid which makes sense. I don't want to waste your time but need to replicate what you have!   Can you tell me:

1) what your Firmware version is?

2) Can you give me your exact settings?  Mine are as follows:

01 SUB

02 10

05 USE

06 LtE

07 Ltd

09 50

10 OnL

11 30

12 48

13 53

16 SbL UdC

18 bOF

19 ESP

20 LOF

22 AON

23 bYE

25 Fd5

26 53.2

27 52.2

28 SIG

29 47

30 AUt

33 Ed5

34 58.4

35 60

36 120

37 30d

39 Ad5

This afternoon I ran my king in SUB and I also had oscillations in my PV current when my batteries where fully charged. This only seems to happen when the PV current is greater than the load current. As soon as the PV current drops below the load current it all smoothed out. 
Its overcast and a bit rainy here today so my solar production is not great nor stable. However it did notice earlier in the day that when the load was above 1000w there was no oscillation. But I could only observe this for short time. Hopefully tomorrow’s weather will be better and I’ll be able to test. 

7ED2E38D-1B57-47A2-874B-6A72E28CEA29.jpeg

@RichieRich, thx for the feedback.I have upgraded my inverter firmware to 71.86 and been fiddling with the settings.  I seem to have similar experiences however mine oscillations seems seem more extreme.  In SBU and sunshine it runs perfectly, tacking little battery when required then jumping back to PV.  Its a shame it cannot work like that from Utillity?

• 2 years later...
On 2020/02/26 at 11:30 AM, Twakdaddy said:

@RichieRich, thx for the feedback.I have upgraded my inverter firmware to 71.86 and been fiddling with the settings.  I seem to have similar experiences however mine oscillations seems seem more extreme.  In SBU and sunshine it runs perfectly, tacking little battery when required then jumping back to PV.  Its a shame it cannot work like that from Utillity?

12 hours ago, iveky3 said:

twakdaddy, have you solved your problems?

I am also interested to know if it is solved.

7 minutes ago, Twakdaddy said:

Good day to all. Sorry for late reply.  Yes it is sorted.  I switched over to ICC's software.  I was on the Centurion Solar software and once on ICC all was sorted. Manie was most helpful. 

Maybe you could share your settings for others to see in case they have a similar issue?