Goodwe cutting power to house

pspspeed

So after about a year of smooth running the Goodwe 5048ES is starting to cause issues.  It cuts the power to the house even if grid and backup is available.  There is no error light on the Goodwe or the PVmaster app - it just has zero power to the house.  All the lights on the Goodwe are normal but the EZMeter has no led's on and the small screen is blank.  A log from SEMS indicate the work mode as 'Fault' but there is no indication what the fault is.  If I cut the AC IN to the inverter and switch back ON - it restores the house power and works normally until the next time - 3 days ago I did the power cycling 3 times but it cut out after a few minutes untiI I did a hard reset - all power off (PV, Battery and grid) to the Goodwe until all the lights went out before I restored power. 

I have tried to run it in back-up mode only but same problem - currently it is in 'zero' feedback to grid and has been going for 2 days now without issues (touch wood).  I do not have any fancy Municipal meter just the old fashioned one with the spinning wheel (which goes backwards when feeding into the grid.). On 2 occasions the PV stopped generating when the grid went off for loadshedding (the batteries kicked in and kept the house 'alive') and came back on when loadshedding finished. I was not home and could not check the Goodwe's status the first time but the second time the solar light was merrily flickering away which indicates normal (I only have one strand of panels). This all started shortly after the firmware was updated OTA to v 171709.  The installer is in contact with the local office and we await their response.  

I suspected that it is the EZMeter that is causing the issues since it is totally dead when the power is cut to the house with grid and backup available but the installer informed me another new installation is doing the same with this firmware version which came supplied with the Goodwe he installed.

Anyone who has had this issue lately. 

2 hours ago, pspspeed said:

It cuts the power to the house even if grid and backup is available

I assume you are referring to the "back up" output of the inverter for the essential loads. If the power to the whole house is interrupted then all your loads are on the back up output which is in my view not ideal. It has however I think nothing to do with your problem (except that the back up output could trip during overload but it should reconnect on its own). I once had the same problem. It happened a few times but has not reoccurred in years. I reported it to Goodwe but we never got to the bottom of the problem. If you do I would be very interested to know what causes the back up output to switch off.

I don't think your EZMeter is the problem. The reason why it goes dead could be because it's power supply is wired to the back up instead of the main (grid connection) output of the inverter.  

Hi - yes the power to the 'back-up' output.  The normal grid connected stuff is not affected like the stove, aircon, geyser and the garage.

I will check on the connection of the EZMeter.

FixAMess - I'm all for going to that firmware version but lets wait and here what Goodwe says.

EZMeter test runs successfully.

I will report back here once things are sorted.

Unfortunately we had very similar issues, mentioned before, which started when our Goodwe was around 7 months old, see:

https://powerforum.co.za/topic/4272-victron-easysolar-5kva-or-goodwe-5048d-es/?do=findComment&comment=68163

The unit started giving issues with the PV generation, showing a voltage but no current on both the input strings.

A few weeks after the issue with the generation it also started to intermittently "Cycle" the "Back Up" loads, causing the compressor one of the our refrigerator to get damaged. The cycling also occured at times when the "load" on the "back up" circuit was low, so not an overload issue, which has occurred before but very rarely.

The unit has since been replaced under warranty after a bit of a struggle, and is happily ticking away again, hopefully for a good couple of years this time.

Edited by WeNotGood
correction

• 1 month later...
On 2020/03/01 at 10:24 AM, pspspeed said:

So after about a year of smooth running the Goodwe 5048ES is starting to cause issues.  It cuts the power to the house even if grid and backup is available.  There is no error light on the Goodwe or the PVmaster app - it just has zero power to the house.  All the lights on the Goodwe are normal but the EZMeter has no led's on and the small screen is blank.  A log from SEMS indicate the work mode as 'Fault' but there is no indication what the fault is.  If I cut the AC IN to the inverter and switch back ON - it restores the house power and works normally until the next time - 3 days ago I did the power cycling 3 times but it cut out after a few minutes untiI I did a hard reset - all power off (PV, Battery and grid) to the Goodwe until all the lights went out before I restored power. 

I have tried to run it in back-up mode only but same problem - currently it is in 'zero' feedback to grid and has been going for 2 days now without issues (touch wood).  I do not have any fancy Municipal meter just the old fashioned one with the spinning wheel (which goes backwards when feeding into the grid.). On 2 occasions the PV stopped generating when the grid went off for loadshedding (the batteries kicked in and kept the house 'alive') and came back on when loadshedding finished. I was not home and could not check the Goodwe's status the first time but the second time the solar light was merrily flickering away which indicates normal (I only have one strand of panels). This all started shortly after the firmware was updated OTA to v 171709.  The installer is in contact with the local office and we await their response.  

I suspected that it is the EZMeter that is causing the issues since it is totally dead when the power is cut to the house with grid and backup available but the installer informed me another new installation is doing the same with this firmware version which came supplied with the Goodwe he installed.

Anyone who has had this issue lately. 

Your ES 5048 has an LCD screen ?

Mines hasn't given these issues, however, you need to ensure that you do not run any high demanding inductive loads on the backup side. If this is done, then it will trip and restart.  So far, the only issue is the Wifi LED turning off and fails to restore unless the whole unit is turned off. Running  FW 1818 now.