Victron fails first test

bushman10

The installation is brand new and I am sure will require tweaking over time. The first test happened this morning when we had power outage. Victron kicked in seamlessly for 20 minutes and then the house died. BMV700 shows battery fully charged but Victron Low Battery light blinking.

Any advice welcomed.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Few thoughts pop to mind:
- Was the BMV calibrated properly?
- Did the BMV register the outgoing current when the inverter was running?
- Is the connection of the inverter negative on the right side - market load side - of the shunt?

What was the draw at the time? For if it was huge, the volts would drop fast and the inverter will stop due to low volts on battery.

- Assume so

- No idea

- Yes

- No idea what the draw was at the time. Don't have monitoring set up yet.

Currently battery shows 53.2 V and 100% charged but Victron low bat light keeps blinking. Is there a way to reset / restart Victron? Does it have a breaker inside

Get the cables for the BMV and the inverter and start reading the information on them, till Plonkster is ready with his software.

For immediate gratification:
Here: https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-700#software
Here: https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/quattro#software

And here is Plonkster's software: https://github.com/izak?tab=repositories

Plonkster would be the perfect person to help with the software.

Lol I know Plonky and TTT are big Victron fans. But for the price one would think it has it all. We were at a bush camp over December and the house also had a Victron. The Inverter has no screen and only 3 leds. You have no idea what the inverter is doing. I was very disappointed to see how it works. I will take the Axpert any day at this stage. 

Just remembered that the low power light came on within the first 5 minutes and started blinking. Wonder if there is a setting on Victron where you set the parameter for low power. Surely for a 48V system you should be able to consume until around 20V or so?

And less we forget, the software to adjust, read and update the firmware (VERY infrequent if you want), is free!!! :D

And the cable is an investment to make sure there are no connection issues. :D

I quote: "POP POP POP".

9 minutes ago, bushman10 said:

Mine is the same. Did the on off thing but no luck. Muni is back on now and have phoned the installer. They need to come sort out.

That is a very good plan. They made a ton of money out of you so best they sort it.

1 minute ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

And less we forget, the software to adjust, read and update the firmware (VERY infrequent if you want), is free!!! :D

And the cable is an investment to make sure there are no connection issues. :D

I quote: "POP POP POP".

O, forgot to add ... the software works, not like Watch-simecallit. :D

1 minute ago, jdp said:

But how uses Watch-simecallit??? Not me. Not anybody lol

True ... but you had to go and write something to sort that wee little problem, no? :P

Off course I am, for nor AICC nor SolarMon nor Victron nor Morningstar was prepared to have one app for all devices!!! 

Can you BELIEVE THAT!!! :P

7 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Off course I am, for nor AICC nor SolarMon nor Victron nor Morningstar was prepared to have one app for all devices!!! 

Can you BELIEVE THAT!!! :P

O not because the default software of each is only good for doing settings like the watchemecallit software that came with the Axpert ;)

Point is that Morningstar and Victron software works out of the box, with support and free updates. :D

The fact the Victron does not want to do Morningstar and Morningstar not Victron, THAT has put me in a awkward position.

But if I was a one shop man, then all I needed would have been free from Victron, working, data in the cloud. :P

But to do that, costs.

For as someone said, I quote: " You're the only crazy guy here with a morningstar anyway :-) ", I had to step out of the box, WITH help. ;)

38 minutes ago, bushman10 said:

Where would I be able to buy the VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart dongle? Where does it actually plug in?

Ask you supplier OR go direct to Current Automation: http://www.rectifier.co.za/solar/

I went the serial to USB cable MK2 cable for the Inverter and the serial to USB VE-Direct for the BMV, then you put a Rapsbery Pi close to them, and see the data anywhere, when Plonkster is done.

1 hour ago, bushman10 said:

Just remembered that the low power light came on within the first 5 minutes and started blinking. Wonder if there is a setting on Victron where you set the parameter for low power. Surely for a 48V system you should be able to consume until around 20V or so?

Most definately not.

The batteries are considered dead at 46V (open circuit)