Luxpower 5kw hybrid inverters question

Gelo

7 hours ago, MKRandburg said:

Are you still happy with your choice? 

If the load is more than the inverter - does it blend with Eskom feed or does it switch over to Eskom (I'm not sure if I have asked the question the right way). 
Also can you run it without a battery? 

I want to start with just solar panels and inverter. I have a genny for loadshedding. 

Yes very very happy with it, works flawlessly, the app monitoring is great. It blends power from panels, battery and Eskom all together depending on demand. Yes you can run it without a battery.

And it is dead silent as well which is great

Ps this is for the LXP model, which is definitely recommended over the SNA as you can split your essential and non essential loads

Edited by AndrewRyan

On 2022/08/08 at 10:02 PM, AndrewRyan said:

Yes very very happy with it, works flawlessly, the app monitoring is great. It blends power from panels, battery and Eskom all together depending on demand. Yes you can run it without a battery.

And it is dead silent as well which is great

Ps this is for the LXP model, which is definitely recommended over the SNA as you can split your essential and non essential loads

Thanks. so during loadshedding, grid is down - are you able to run it with just the solar panels? Or does that depend on how you set it up? Because I think the Sunsynk will not run on only solar panels.

21 minutes ago, MKRandburg said:

Thanks. so during loadshedding, grid is down - are you able to run it with just the solar panels? Or does that depend on how you set it up? Because I think the Sunsynk will not run on only solar panels.

I am not too sure tbh. I suspect it might not work but can't say for sure

8 hours ago, MKRandburg said:

I run the hybrid and during loadshedding during the day, it will always use available PV then if there's a shortfall it will pull from batterys. Most of the time PV can sufficiently handle loads without battery depending on available pv and load. In the event it needs to pull from battery it will recharge battery as soon as load is less.

1 hour ago, Gelo said:

I run the hybrid and during loadshedding during the day, it will always use available PV then if there's a shortfall it will pull from batterys. Most of the time PV can sufficiently handle loads without battery depending on available pv and load. In the event it needs to pull from battery it will recharge battery as soon as load is less.

I think @MKRandburg is wanting to run the inverter without a battery attached. In that case it can't pull from anywhere else if pv isn't enough. So I would suspect if Eskom is down then the system wouldn't run on just the panels as there is no backup (and the pv alone is too inconsistent) but I would be keen to know out of interest. 

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, PWZet said:

I have a 5000sna LuxPower inverter with 8x650w t-star solar pannels. My max watt is 2200Watt, can this be? Shouls it not be 4400watt roughly? 

5200 @ 85% efficiency = 4400watt

083 377 1679 

Lots of factors could affect it, I have 8x545w panels and easily hit 4k consistently. Is your max you hitting with heavy load, i.e. It is importing from Eskom? 

If for example you are just charging the battery that could be right if you have a 0.5c battery

Hi I have a 5000SNA LuxPower inverter with 8x415w JA solar panels and 4.86 Dyness battery. The inverter says it is a lead-acid battery and can't change it to a Lithium battery, how will this effect the battery charge and DOD? Battery only lasts about 5 hours at night then inverter switches to the grid and use 10 units.

Edited by Bryan1

4 minutes ago, Bryan1 said:

Hi I have a 5000SNA LuxPower inverter with 8x415w JA solar panels and 4.86 Dyness battery. The inverter says it is a lead-acid battery and can't change it to a Lithium battery, how will this effect the battery charge and DOD? Battery only lasts about 5 hours at night then inverter switches to the grid.

Have you got the comms cable connected? Once connected you can set the battery to lithium and Dyness battery in the inverter settings. You can run it as lead acid provided you set the right float voltages etc but not recommended as may affect your warranty 

14 minutes ago, Bryan1 said:

Have the can input cable plugged in and not sure if that is the only cable needed?

Should just be that cable. If the inverter is set to lithium battery the inverter would show an error if comms cable wasn't right. I also just have 1 4.8kw Dyness battery and can push through the night, but 5 hours doesn't sound unreasonable depending on load

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022/09/24 at 9:08 PM, PWZet said:

I have a 5000sna LuxPower inverter with 8x650w t-star solar pannels. My max watt is 2200Watt, can this be? Shouls it not be 4400watt roughly? 

5200 @ 85% efficiency = 4400watt

083 377 1679 

Hi,

I seem to be having the same issue. I have 10x545w panels and they are split into 2 strings.  My PV1 & PV2 have never went above 3.4kw at anytime. PV1 would got to 2.2kw and whilst PV1 is around 1kw and then a few seconds later it swaps around. Any idea why they both cannot reach 2.2kw simultaneously?  I added load to ensure that i was drawing enough power, but it starts to use the battery once the panels reach ~3.4.

On 2022/08/08 at 10:02 PM, AndrewRyan said:

@AndrewRyan, divergent question: The Luxpower SNA does also seem to feed into the grid side. I cant find any detailed information about the difference between how it works and the LXP. There is a big difference in price. I am guessing the SNA does grid blending at a DC level like the Apert King where the LXP does proper blending at an AC level. What are the significant differences? 

Rob

23 minutes ago, RobM said:

@AndrewRyan, divergent question: The Luxpower SNA does also seem to feed into the grid side. I cant find any detailed information about the difference between how it works and the LXP. There is a big difference in price. I am guessing the SNA does grid blending at a DC level like the Apert King where the LXP does proper blending at an AC level. What are the significant differences? 

Rob

As I understand it, the SNA can export to the grid but cannot feed items connected to the grid side as it doesn't have a CT clamp to monitor power demand. For example feeding excess power to stove or geyser which are typically not connected to the inverter. At least that's my understanding. On the blending, the SNA can only blend 2 sources as the LXP can blend all 3. 

The LXP is also IP rated, fanless (so is dead silent), has 5 year warranty vs 2 year warranty, can take higher PV input, not sure what else - oh yes and is approved on the cape town list where the SNA isn't (unless this has changed)

On 2022/08/10 at 12:08 PM, MKRandburg said:

Just in case anyone is still wondering on this question - no the unit will not run on PV alone. I recently had an issue with my battery disconnect fuse (it was blown) so no battery available and when loadshedding hit I had no power, even though there was plenty of PV available.

• 1 month later...

Hi I have a Luxpower 5000SNA inverter and after the 4.86kw Dyness battery is depleted it is not switching us back to the grid at around 23h00 at night. Any reason why this could by happening, setting to change?

Edited by Bryan1

On 2022/10/10 at 4:30 PM, AndrewRyan said:

Just in case anyone is still wondering on this question - no the unit will not run on PV alone. I recently had an issue with my battery disconnect fuse (it was blown) so no battery available and when loadshedding hit I had no power, even though there was plenty of PV available.

Btw these are grid-tie inverters so you need a reference power source for them to run (even if there is enough sun)

• 4 weeks later...

Help please.

Luxpower inverter with Li-ion battery.
Inverter is setup to charge the Li-ion battery but it would not charge. When however it is set to charge a Lead acid (100amph) battery, it charges and work fine. All setting are as per instruction manual. Communication cable between battery and inverter, connected. What is the consequences if Li-ion battery is charged as if it is a Lead acid battery ?

2 hours ago, Horingbek said:

Help please.

Inverter is setup to charge the Li-ion battery but it would not charge. When however it is set to charge a Lead acid (100amph) battery, it charges and work fine. All setting are as per instruction manual. Communication cable between battery and inverter, connected. What is the consequences if Li-ion battery is charged as if it is a Lead acid battery ?

Which battery and what are your settings for menu option 3 (battery) on the inverter

3 hours ago, Horingbek said:

Help please.

I don't think it is a major issue but I would rather sort out the problem properly. (and not charge as lead acid) I was having issues and turned out the dip settings in the battery weren't set correctly and that was causing a comms failure. Most batteries warranty will be shortened if not setup properly as a lithium battery 

12 hours ago, Horingbek said:

Communication cable between battery and inverter, connected.

What comms cable? A standard Ethernet cable? It won't work, you need to make up a cable with the correct pinouts on Inverter and battery side, else it can't communicate.
Check your user Manual for your inverters CAN pinout. Some Luxpower units use pins 3 and 4, whereas some use pins 4 and 5.
You also need to check your batteries pinouts in the battery manual.

image.png.bd4adac1a322e69f64cdaf74d9a711f7.png

image.png.0c3e8cf08dd27ce17ff8a792a60f4188.png

Edited by zsde