Axpert - Error 55

Smirresa

I have an Axpert 5kVA Mk2, and 2 x 2400 Pylontechs - No solar panels.

System had a couple of issues in the past  - main board failure and coms issues, both repaired by the supplier.

I now get an Error 55 - Over DC voltage in AC output.

When I reset the unit it works again.

Took this up with the local South African agent/supplier (Rectron). They spoke to the Chinese supplier and got the following response "Error 55 mean the DC component of the output voltage is over the limit. It is usually caused by half waveform load, like hair drier. We don’t recommend the customer to use this kind of load."!!?!?!?

1. How can there be a DC component in the AC output unless there is something seriously wrong with the inverter?

2. How can a hairdryer (or any load for that matter) cause a DC component in the inverter output

3. How is a hairdryer a half waveform load?

Good luck telling your wife she is no longer allowed to use a hairdryer because you've installed a solar system!

Anybody else experienced this problem?

@SmirresaI have seen this before if the load wasn't split into essential and non-essentials. The Deye/ Sunsynk inverters can supply power to both essential and non-essential loads but unfortunately not the Axpert type. Kettles, hairdryers, powertools anything with an element or that require a high start-up current should not be run off those inverters. Ideally it should only be used for backup purposes for things like your lights, computers, tv, security systems.

@Chloe Weird thing is I also installed another system with two of the same 5kVA Axperts in parallel, this time with 24 x solar panels and 8 x Pylontechs and have not had any issues with any loads (hairdryers, kettles, lawnmower etc, etc) 

If a hairdryer is really such an issue one would think the supplier would let you know about this

Cheap hair-dryers use a diode to achieve the low power setting. This causes only the positive or negative half cycles to draw power, causing a DC component to the drawn current.

Axperts check the output of the inverter for a certain level of DC component, assuming that it indicates a fault with the hardware.

One workaround would be to only use the dryer at the high power setting - not likely to prove popular.

27 minutes ago, excitedphoton said:

I'm reading this as another potential fix would be to change the hairdryer to a more expensive one?

That depends if the more expensive hair dryer uses a diode for the low power setting or not.

My wife has a "Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer" which is quite expensive and our inverter has no problem with it on any setting.

It does have more than two temperature and speed settings which is also a giveaway that it is not just using a diode.

Edit: You could score some serious points with the wife by buying her one (J ust don't tell her it's to sort out the inverter issue XD )

Edited by Stanley

• 1 year later...
On 2020/11/24 at 11:44 AM, Smirresa said:

All useful info thanks.

Will do some further fault finding - suspect it will cost me a new hairdryer 

I have the same problem once we use our water heater this fault will occured on my inverter but i am planning to install additional RUN CAPACITOR connected in parallel on the water heater supply breaker.

On 2020/11/23 at 2:07 PM, Smirresa said:

I have an Axpert 5kVA Mk2, and 2 x 2400 Pylontechs - No solar panels.

System had a couple of issues in the past  - main board failure and coms issues, both repaired by the supplier.

I now get an Error 55 - Over DC voltage in AC output.

When I reset the unit it works again.

Took this up with the local South African agent/supplier (Rectron). They spoke to the Chinese supplier and got the following response "Error 55 mean the DC component of the output voltage is over the limit. It is usually caused by half waveform load, like hair drier. We don’t recommend the customer to use this kind of load."!!?!?!?

1. How can there be a DC component in the AC output unless there is something seriously wrong with the inverter?

2. How can a hairdryer (or any load for that matter) cause a DC component in the inverter output

3. How is a hairdryer a half waveform load?

Good luck telling your wife she is no longer allowed to use a hairdryer because you've installed a solar system!

Anybody else experienced this problem?

The same problem i got on my Axpert VMIII 5KW 48V SYSTEM,once i switch "On" our water heater it will gives ERROR 55 or HIGH DC ON INVERTER OUTPUT,but this problem has been resolved by installing additional RUN CAPACITOR 50uf 450v connected parallel on MAIN CIRCUIT BREAKER OF WATER HEATER😊received_420982666882908.thumb.jpeg.0fa636c79c2eef8b6b8041ee3e578b39.jpeg