Eskom pricing rumour

Methuselah

There is a rumour doing the rounds that Eskom propose to charge more for power delivered to anyone with solar panels. Yes, yes, I know, only a complete moron would make that kind of suggestion in our present circumstances, but I'm not judgmental!

Anyone else heard this?

There is a thread on this forum about it.

Eskom are not planning on charging you more if you have solar panels. They want to change the entire tariff structure which, if implemented they way they want, would make owning solar panels less attractive. They want to introduce a base fee, irrespective of usage and then flatten the inclined block structure tariff so you don't pay much more for units above 350kWh or something. So you won't have a huge benefit anymore of shaving off a few kWh to drop you to a lower tariff block.

rumour...

What eskom really is doing, is adding a static monthly fee to be connected to the grid, and then lower the per kWh fee to try and make it work out the same for users of eskom. However for solar users it might work out more, because as long as you are grid-tied, you will pay that static monthly fee.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

There is a thread on this forum about it.

Eskom are not planning on charging you more if you have solar panels. They want to change the entire tariff structure which, if implemented they way they want, would make owning solar panels less attractive. They want to introduce a base fee, irrespective of usage and then flatten the inclined block structure tariff so you don't pay much more for units above 350kWh or something. So you won't have a huge benefit anymore of shaving off a few kWh to drop you to a lower tariff block.

Yes, I thought there would be discussion on the subject but couldn't find it.

So, doesn't that make the decision ever easier to go off-grid completely? Is it possible to tell Eskom to take their toys and duck?

What people fail to add to this discussion is that Esdom also suggested that no license is required for < 50MW generation.
They also failed to mention that farmers and small holdings already have a fixed cost. In some cases the fixed cost is as high as R 2xxx per month.

IBT (block tariff) is also known as step tariff.

Lets take COCT.

1. They have step tariff
  2. they have a fixed cost of R 226.36
  3. You buy at R 1.84
  4. You sell at T 0.73
  5. They have a moving date forcing people to pay more

Thus it is already implemented in COCT

I can assure you that there will be court cases and there will be rulings against Eskom/Nersa re this.  What must not be forgotten is that Mr Ramaposa already "OK'ed" it.

This creates a problem as to where do you draw the line. What is fair and whats not.

With the suggestion that licenses falls away for < 50MW it on its own will change many things. With my few panels currently I get back about R500 - the R 226 = R280 per month.

With no license I can increase my panels and generate +/- R 20K from solar per month.  The fact that private companies are allowed via license that will have a greater impact in the long run. The current problem is that Esdom is a cash cow for the ANC and friends and not contributing to the economy. 

Already we are paying for the USA stop producing oil and ....

Interesting that Cape Town electricity might become cheaper to buy as its next to a power station.  The reality is simple.  As long as we have politicians we will pay and let the useless ones control us.  ANC will still stay in charge everyone will still complain no jobs no food rich gets richer poor get poorer and 98% of people wants a salary and not work and is happy because they can complain.

Is their a solution yes get rid of all politicians.  The reality is dumb one choose Biden and not some one that changed the economy.  People wants politicians so they can be controlled by idiots.  At least then they have an excuse.

In many countries they have private companies as power generators South Africa being a communist country we have comrades and politicians.

Thus what do we do?  Simple don't worry about tomorrow but think about who is holding tomorrow.

For now I am paying part of my bill for COCT via the sun and saving at least R3 000 per month. That is R3000 per month less out of my pocket. Thus for me its simple.  Please allow them a 30% increase in electricity and I get a 30% increase.

The reality is simple.  Lets see how many people will still vote DA and ANC in the upcoming elections and you will see who determines what we pay and what gets said about electricity.

For that they Biden all support China.  For me its cheaper to get a electronic printed circuit board manufactured in China assembled in China shipped to SA than to employ or buy local.  That is the real cost of electricity and politicians. 

You want change get a stronger opposition (not DA)  and get alternate energy so people can start thinking.  Esdom clearly stated they will be loosing a R1B per annum and increasing due to solar.

Feb R Flux           Import Kwhr         Export Kwhr         R Import             R Export        Nett R X.xx             R Total
1 61.100 17.816 12.517 -43.284 R 23.02 R-31.70 R-8.67 R-8.67
2 70.000 20.859 8.746 -49.141 R 16.09 R-35.99 R-19.90 R-28.57
3 74.700 17.216 11.956 -57.484 R 21.99 R-42.10 R-20.10 R-48.68
4 73.100 25.471 11.186 -47.629 R 20.57 R-34.88 R-14.30 R-62.98
5 73.100 22.469 10.321 -50.631 R 18.98 R-37.08 R-18.09 R-81.08
6 70.200 18.590 9.102 -51.610 R 16.74 R-37.79 R-21.05 R-102.13
7 72.900 18.912 10.543 -53.988 R 19.39 R-39.54 R-20.14 R-122.27
8 73.000 22.862 10.857 -50.138 R 19.97 R-36.72 R-16.75 R-139.02
9 72.500 22.467 7.938 -50.033 R 14.60 R-36.64 R-22.04 R-161.06
10 55.600 17.314 11.431 -38.286 R 21.03 R-28.04 R-7.01 R-168.07
11 70.600 20.721 11.639 -49.879 R 21.41 R-36.53 R-15.12 R-183.19

Edited by Erastus

19 hours ago, Methuselah said:

There is a rumour doing the rounds that Eskom propose to charge more for power delivered to anyone with solar panels. Yes, yes, I know, only a complete moron would make that kind of suggestion in our present circumstances, but I'm not judgmental!

Anyone else heard this?

What you need to watch is your municipal tariffs - unless you are directly supplied by Eskom. 

So for City Power customers in Johannesburg it has long been the situation that, on the default tariff, you pay a flat service fee for the provision of supply and also a fee that is linked to consumption. So for users on that tariff it is not a big change.

The City have tried for the last two years to introduce a flat monthly fee (added to rates) for domestic properties with a pre-paid meter. In 2019 it was not announced but the media noted it and the DA led council then retracted it saying it had been sneaked in (by persons unknown) after the tariffs were signed off. In 2020 the ANC led council proposed the fee, approved it and then decided not to apply it as part of their COVID relief. This story is not run yet.

The proposed amendments to the Jhb by-laws now go into a lot more details as to who is a "generator" or "prosumer" (IE has some alternate, parallel source of power but doesn't resell) and proposed new tariffs for these categories of user. Also proposed, as I read the proposals, is registration of any "generating" system and inspection by the City or their appointed agents (this sounds like it could be a nice little earner for somebody).

Where I live the Cllrs have not tried to unravel these proposals and explain to us how we stand to be affected. A poor show.

Edited by Bobster
speling