Growatt sff5000es clipping pv

Buyeye

Hi everyone June was a terrible month for solar, July started to improve and August I'm producing almost twice the amount I was able to produce in June. 

This is due to living in the beautiful forest that I live in, my panels face north but there are a bunch of palm trees on the street which don't belong to me.

The shadows only become an issue around 14h00 instead of all day like they were in June.

So I was expecting that I would see around 80% of the installed 6kw of panels which would be enough to power the load and charge the batteries. But the inverter reduces the pv power to match the load which doesn't make sense to me since the reason I got it was the 6000 watt pv input which allows a 5kw load and 1kw for charging batteries. 

Here is a screen shot let me know what you think. 

Screenshot_20210810-140605_ShinePhone.jpg

Thanks for having a look @Achmat, here is a screen shot of my SOC for today. It's typical for most days. I've managed to get it as low as 20 % before the sun comes up without triggering a utility  charge. I have the timer set to turn on the geyser at 10h30 which usually has my dyness powerbox f10 at around 70%.

which is why I was hoping that the extra pv would charge the battery.Screenshot_20210812-134615_ShinePhone.thumb.jpg.59244b27a666fee17f62c713664cf86c.jpg

I didn't post any screen shots for the past 2 days as there was no sun at all this side.

So today I waited till the geyser turned on to see if it would keep the solar where it was or reduce it to match the load.

Now as you can see pv production is around 4000 watts before the geyser turns on but when then it drops down to 3000 watts to match the load. The blue part is whereScreenshot_20210816-143756_ShinePhone.thumb.jpg.3ff33b84bb519c5cd2b6d9dcd14ac24a.jpg

Screenshot_20210816-145135_ShinePhone.jpg

So it looks like its due to the batteries being charged (Looking at your last post) 

The inverter will only draw as much power from the PV as the demand requires. No more. So, if you had a constant 700w load all day on the inverter and batteries were 100% SoC; PV will be clipped to this. Where else must all that extra energy go? 😛 

You'll note that your battery reached 100% SoC at around 12:00 - roughly the same time your PV dropped off or started "clipping" - this is normal. 

Edited by Rclegg

@Rclegg thanks for looking, my issue is the first dip at 10h30 that I had to fix by changing to SUB mode. I knew it would happen so I changed mode sooner than on the previous screenshots. If I stayed on SBU the pv production would have stayed on 3000 watts until the geyser went off. Then it would go up until batteries are charged.

32 minutes ago, Buyeye said:

@Rclegg thanks for looking, my issue is the first dip at 10h30 that I had to fix by changing to SUB mode. I knew it would happen so I changed mode sooner than on the previous screenshots. If I stayed on SBU the pv production would have stayed on 3000 watts until the geyser went off. Then it would go up until batteries are charged.

Are you expecting the inverter to give you maximum PV until the sun buggers off?

1 hour ago, Buyeye said:

My conclusion is that the inverter just can't multi task in SBU mode which is solved by SUB mode. Which is funny since it's an offgrid inverter. 

Correction, your inverter is a hybrid, not an offgrid inverter. ''a hybrid inverter (sometimes referred to as a multi-mode inverter) is an inverter which can simultaneously manage inputs from both solar panels and a battery bank, charging batteries with either solar panels or the electricity grid ''

1 hour ago, hoohloc said:

Correction, your inverter is a hybrid, not an offgrid inverter. ''a hybrid inverter (sometimes referred to as a multi-mode inverter) is an inverter which can simultaneously manage inputs from both solar panels and a battery bank, charging batteries with either solar panels or the electricity grid ''

I'm sorry you are correct, my issue is that I need to be in SBU mode to use the battery at night but SUB(hybrid mode) produces the best pv production. And there is no setting that automates this.

14 minutes ago, Buyeye said:

I'm sorry you are correct, my issue is that I need to be in SBU mode to use the battery at night but SUB(hybrid mode) produces the best pv production. And there is no setting that automates this.

I believe your understanding of how the inverter works might differ to how it actually works. 

Your inverter settings shouldn’t need to be changed to get the maximum PV generation. 

My last question to you was what are you expecting from this inverter? 

I’ve explained before that your PV generation will match your load 99%. This includes charging of batteries. So if your batteries are charged and the load is only 2kw. Your generation will only be 2kw… 

From your last graphs; this is what is happening and is completely normal. 

11 hours ago, Buyeye said:

Eish! that is the downside about these inverters. wish there was a setting to automatically switch between modes for optimal PV production.