Deye 8kW Time of Use settings

schalkvstaden

Hi All,

I currently have a Deye 8kW inverter with 2x Shoto 5.12kWh batteries and 12x 410W solar panels installed.

My geyser and stove is not wired as non-essential whereas all the plugs and lights are on the essential side. The CT is installed and the inverter selected on "zero export to CT".

I generally use the battery for the home load at night and the solar panels to charge the batteries again during the day. I have seen that sometimes at night when the stove is operational the battery is used to supply the total load and is not split between eskom and the batteries.

I would like to know what is the optimum time of use settings to ensure that I drain as much of the battery during the night and during the day use the PV to recharge the batteries.

I also have the geyser on a timer that switches on between 5am and 7am in the morning

Please share your settings

1 minute ago, schalkvstaden said:

I see you are using solar assistant. what is you feel regarding this. I am also looking at implementing this. I am currently using the solarman app

Hi Schalk,

The Wi-Fi dongle that my Deye 5kw came with gave me endless connectivity problems to my home network. Plus data was struggling to get uploaded to the server and was delayed in displaying in the Solarman app. I could therefore not make informed decisions about how to manage my system remotely without having to go to the inverter and make changes on the LCD screen.

I did a search here on the forum and one of the first suggestions to come up was Solar Assistant. Did my research and was happy to see that it provides near real-time data viewing (2sec delay). I ordered online and the system was delivered within 24hrs. Installation was pretty simple and support for the software has been great.

The data that I have access to now on SA has ensured that I can manage my system better from a remote point of view. I am able to use the app to make changes remotely when loadshedding kicks in or when skies are overcast like today.

But just remember, its horses for courses so please do have a look on the forum for software that other users are using. I am not so clued up on MQTT and Node Red as those computer skills are currently above my pay grade level of understanding. But there are some seriously cool software management systems being used here (both individually built and commercially available).

Hope this helps.

MdF

• 3 weeks later...
On 2021/11/24 at 3:34 PM, schalkvstaden said:

My geyser and stove is not wired as non-essential whereas all the plugs and lights are on the essential side. The CT is installed and the inverter selected on "zero export to CT".

I generally use the battery for the home load at night and the solar panels to charge the batteries again during the day. I have seen that sometimes at night when the stove is operational the battery is used to supply the total load and is not split between eskom and the batteries.

Your installer doesn't understand how hybrind inverters work. If the stove gets any battery power it is wired as essential or (more likely) Aux. My installer did the same and wired the stove to Aux and even neatly installed a "Non Essential Switchover Panel". They dont understand that a hybrid inverter can power non essential loads after the CT and before the inverter, sort if like exporting to your own little mini-grid.

As for your gesyer, use Geyserwise temeprature and timer settings to bump up the temperature as high as you can (65'C) between 11:00 and 14:00 when you should have excess solar production on most days.  This may eliminate or lessen the need for the early morning bump.

• 3 months later...

Hi have 8kw and 2xshoto batteries I would like to know  what should the max  a charge should be and the max a discharge be? 

?mines is set as follows

Max a charge 80a

Max a discharge 90 a

Is this correct 

IMG_20220409_114611.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 2022/04/09 at 10:10 PM, Nabzo said:

Hi have 8kw and 2xshoto batteries I would like to know  what should the max  a charge should be and the max a discharge be? 

?mines is set as follows

Max a charge 80a

Max a discharge 90 a

Is this correct 

IMG_20220409_114611.jpg

Take of the "Activate Battery", that is only used when you add new batteries to the bank, and allow load balancing until they all equalize.

I don't like doing this using the inverter, and rather ensure all are fully charged, even the new one being added, then I know their balancing is roughly 100% within a few decimals of voltage.

If you have two batteries assuming 100ah each, you could bump up the 100AH to 200AH, and set the charge to 50% of the bank capacity and discharge can go up to 75% (this depends on your battery types, etc.), consult your manuals for the respective configuration.

However the CAN communications (if you inverter is connected to the battery bank), should take care of these for you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2022/07/09 at 7:08 AM, Philtat said:

How much is solar assistant and who installed it for you?

Here is a link to their site. The guide documents are very easy to follow and setup is simple enough for you to do. Order online and usually equipment is delivered within 48 hours. Great support as well from Pierre:

https://solar-assistant.io/

MdF

• 2 months later...

I have an interesting one , I have Deye 8KVA installed , when load shedding occurs . I get F56 error on the inverter and " NO BATTERY "  but the panel on the inverter shows the batteries are at 100% charged. I have 2 CFE Lithium Battery 48v 4.8kwh. My system was installed 2 months ago . Any advice would be brilliant 

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, mitch47 said:

What would happen if you leave that "Activate Battery" checked?

I also would like to know what if its left checked? Because my installer left it checked (and its currently still checked weeks later) and a friend of mine also has it checked for two months, again left as is by the installer. And its been bugging me, but couldn't find info on when to leave it on or when to untick it. Both me and my friend's inverter are SunSynk though, but the same thing in the end.

Edited by jgdt

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

I just installed my system:

1 x Deye 5kW Inverter | 1 x 48v 100Ah 5.1kWh Lithium Iron Phosphate UPS Batteries | 8 x 550W SunSolar Solar Panels.

I am still trying to work it all out, but this is what I currently have setup (images).  I am really keen to runs as much as possible from the battery....

I see a long delay when it switches back to grid (about 1 minute)? I this normal?

Best Regards

Jean

IMG_0891.jpeg

IMG_0892.jpeg

IMG_0893.jpeg

IMG_0894.jpeg

IMG_0895.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...