Software for Solar System Reporting

Solarcrazy

Hello, I recently installed my solar system (Deye and 2X shoto 5.1kw) and currently using the Solarman Smart app version. I have a few issues with it:

• Refresh rate is only 20min odd, so not really real time
  • Cannot do details analysis
  • etc etc

What alternatives do I have to get more real time information and be able to do more analysis to better understand my usages so I can intervene at the correct times to reduce my reliance on Eskom.

Thanking you in advance :)

13 minutes ago, MdF said:

Have a look at install Solar Assistant. Works exceptionally well and has 1s updating of data.

https://solar-assistant.io/

MdF

I can also recommend Solar Assistant, I have been using it for about 6 months and am very happy.

You might struggle to find a RaspberryPi currently due to the global shortage unless you have one lying around?

6 minutes ago, JuliusK said:

I can also recommend Solar Assistant, I have been using it for about 6 months and am very happy.

You might struggle to find a RaspberryPi currently due to the global shortage unless you have one lying around?

Thank you, which inverter you have if I may ask?

23 minutes ago, Solarcrazy said:

Thank you, looks good. Have you used it or using it?

Have been using it since August 2021. Details of my setup in my signature below.

From my side, it is an excellent product and is well supported with updates. Responses from Pierre is also very good indeed.

MdF

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree here - I have 2 x 8kw Sunsynk and I use Solar-Assistant for the reporting, also allows you to control and edit all the settings on the inverters remotely. Very easy to setup.

It integrates well with home-assistant as well, the only drawback is that it doesn’t support pushing back of automations from home-assistant from what I can see. - eg When there is load shedding automatically increase the battery reserve

But hopefully they add it soon

• 1 month later...
On 2022/06/05 at 1:56 PM, Gary the Bat said:

It integrates well with home-assistant as well, the only drawback is that it doesn’t support pushing back of automations from home-assistant from what I can see. - eg When there is load shedding automatically increase the battery reserve

But hopefully they add it soon

It looks like support to change inverter settings from Home Assistant was just released in the latest beta. I see it's currently just for adjusting the "Output source priority" of the voltronic/axpert inverters but they mention support for the "most important inverter settings" are coming "soon":

https://solar-assistant.io/help/home-assistant/adjust-settings

I'll wait for it to get to the stable release.

• 1 month later...

FYI:
Good News,
Solar-Assistant Software version 2022-08-25 is now reporting the correct temperature from Hubble-AM2 batteries:
image.thumb.png.e77f7d44286d7a2792b43c1a8a19484c.png

https://solar-assistant.io/help/updates/changelog

2022-08-25Beta

New features:

• Add WiFi country code selection to network configuration.
  • Upgrade of underlying frameworks and libraries.
  • Basic support for EASUN SMG II and PowMr inverters that use with RS232 WiFi dongle and SmartESS app. Select inverter type "Sumry".
  • Support for most important setting of Must and SRNE inverters.
  • Support for adjusting more Deye and Voltronic settings via MQTT.

Corrections:

• Correct temperature reading of USB serial protocol.
Edited by system32

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, shovelhead said:

Picking up on this old thread, I do not see all the values as above but very limited battery dashboard with solar assistant? Only capacity, SOC, power, current, voltage and temperature.

Do you have a cable connecting SA to your battery?
You required a cable to connect so SA can read the detailed data from the battery.

solar-assistant.io shop:
image.png.f2b5b57c0b489b0348980880aa71692c.png

image.thumb.png.2d273b182fd04d7a5a795a861c4381d6.png

Edit1: would be nice for SA to provide cell voltages
Edit2: Not all information is available on all batteries.

Edited by system32

45 minutes ago, shovelhead said:

Thanks for this @system32.  I ordered the cable and have it plugged in but still don't see anything. Is a config change required in solar assistant?

Is your battery listed in the supported batteries in SA when you do the setup? If not, then you will only get the limited data that is read by the inverter.

I too am in the same position with the brand of batteries I purchased. One thing I will definitely have a look at in the future when it comes time to replace them, is are they supported by something like SA as the extra data is very usefull especially when it comes to monitoring things like cycles and cell performance.

MdF

52 minutes ago, shovelhead said:

Thanks for this @system32.  I ordered the cable and have it plugged in but still don't see anything. Is a config change required in solar assistant?

See https://solar-assistant.io/help/battery/configuration

The below is for Hubble-AM2 connected via RS232 console port:
Solar-Assistant->Configuration->Battery
image.thumb.png.ecedad6aa9c837d5cdbd2b7eebc2e577.png

Edited by system32

8 minutes ago, shovelhead said:

I can see the second USB port, but can't select it, and the battery setting only has "use inverter values" ?  Tried rebooting Pin also but hasn't changed...?

Click Disconnect first.
Change the USB settings
Click Save
Click Connect when done.
image.png.8c75f86c06fdbe9aadccf6eb98b9b1f7.png

Edited by system32

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, hope I'm not to late replaying to this. I have a Growatt SPF5000es connected with Hope4.8-C1 battery. My inverter is connected to the battery with the can bus cable and solar assistant is set to use inverter values. If I would want to change this to try get more data from my battery, is it possible to connect the can bus directly to the solar assistant RPI? and if yes, how would the inverter handle this when it cannot see the battery via can bus anymore?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is this possible, and what would the best way around this be?

2 hours ago, ChristoJ said:

Hi guys, hope I'm not to late replaying to this. I have a Growatt SPF5000es connected with Hope4.8-C1 battery. My inverter is connected to the battery with the can bus cable and solar assistant is set to use inverter values. If I would want to change this to try get more data from my battery, is it possible to connect the can bus directly to the solar assistant RPI? and if yes, how would the inverter handle this when it cannot see the battery via can bus anymore?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is this possible, and what would the best way around this be?

You should check on the SA website to see if your battery type is supported. If not, then you will only get the basic inverter data on SA.

MdF