Mecer 5Kva Low battery alarm 04

Deonbayly

Hello guys

New to the forum and I have searched for this answer but with no luck. Perhaps someone here can give me some advice!

I'm currently running 6x Pylontech US3000 batteries through 2 Mecer 5Kva inverters with 24x 320W panels.

Sometimes when I turn on the kettle and percolator in the morning I get an Error 04 alarm - Low battery voltage. However, my SOC is usually around 60% still. I could understand if my SOC was very low but it isn't.

This does not turn off until I start getting positive power through my PV's later.

Is there a configuration setting I can/should change?

I am totally off grid (no Eskom).

Cheers!

22 hours ago, Deonbayly said:

Sometimes when I turn on the kettle and percolator in the morning I get an Error 04 alarm - Low battery voltage.

It sounds like you'd benefit from KettleKomp™. That's a feature of patched firmware that attempts to compensate for the internal resistance of a battery.

Though with the size of battery that you have, I would not expect ≈ 4 kW of load to cause much voltage sag on the battery. It may be exacerbated by your battery cabling. A photo of the battery cabling would help.

22 hours ago, Deonbayly said:

2 Mecer 5Kva inverters

There are a lot of models fitting that description.

If yours is one of the MKS I models, with 145 V max PV, then patched firmware with KettleKomp™ and LFP-appropriate voltage thresholds is available.

Hi everyone

Apologies, I live on a farm and its sometimes difficult to get to everything quickly 😑.

My inverter is a Mecer SOL-1-AX-5P

My settings are

Setting 12 - 46V

Setting 13 - 49V

Setting 29 - 45.5V

I'm currently running 6x Pylontech US3000 batteries and 2 US300C batteries with 24x 320W panels

Any advice on what these settings should be to prevent the 04 low voltage alarm?

Many thanks!

26 minutes ago, Deonbayly said:

Hi everyone

Apologies, I live on a farm and its sometimes difficult to get to everything quickly 😑.

My inverter is a Mecer SOL-1-AX-5P

My settings are

Setting 12 - 46V

Setting 13 - 49V

Setting 29 - 45.5V

I'm currently running 6x Pylontech US3000 batteries and 2 US300C batteries with 24x 320W panels

Any advice on what these settings should be to prevent the 04 low voltage alarm?

Many thanks!

Do you use setting 5 as USE?

If not then setting 12 will actually be at 47.5V being 2V higher than cut out. Alarm 4 I see as more of a warning that battery is getting low. If in fact the SOC is 60% then one can lower setting 29 if USE is selected in setting 5.

By changing setting 13 to 48V should cause the alarm to go off a bit earlier.

I just think you do not have much time from 46V to 45.5V when the inverter cuts out. Just my thought🤔

10 minutes ago, Scorp007 said:

Do you use setting 5 as USE?

If not then setting 12 will actually be at 47.5V being 2V higher than cut out. Alarm 4 I see as more of a warning that battery is getting low. If in fact the SOC is 60% then one can lower setting 29 if USE is selected in setting 5.

I just think you do not have much time from 46V to 45.5V when the inverter cuts out. Just my thought🤔

Setting 5 is USE

Thank you very much, I think I'll change setting 13 to 48v and see what difference that makes. the alarm doesn't cut my inverter, its just a loud, incessant noise!

43 minutes ago, Deonbayly said:

Setting 5 is USE

Thank you very much, I think I'll change setting 13 to 48v and see what difference that makes. the alarm doesn't cut my inverter, its just a loud, incessant noise!

You can perhaps take the risk of switching it off. This is what I did as the warning comes up long before my inverter switches of. Not serious 🤔just annoying

On 2022/06/13 at 4:46 PM, Deonbayly said:

Hello guys

New to the forum and I have searched for this answer but with no luck. Perhaps someone here can give me some advice!

I'm currently running 6x Pylontech US3000 batteries through 2 Mecer 5Kva inverters with 24x 320W panels.

Sometimes when I turn on the kettle and percolator in the morning I get an Error 04 alarm - Low battery voltage. However, my SOC is usually around 60% still. I could understand if my SOC was very low but it isn't.

This does not turn off until I start getting positive power through my PV's later.

Is there a configuration setting I can/should change?

I am totally off grid (no Eskom).

Cheers!

I Have a Mecer 5Kva inverter connected to 3 Pylontech US3000

The inverter is not connected to the grid. Batteries 3 years old and state of health 97%

Battery settings 12 - 50v   13 - 51v   29 - 45.5v

Can boil the kettle even if SOC is 50%

Use the dry contact to switch of geyser off if battery is below 50v and on at 51v.

I would invest in something like Solar Assistant to do the management of the batteries and inverter. This will allow you more control over the system. These inverters isn't good at reading State of charge on Lithium batteries via there voltage.

13 minutes ago, Jacques Ester said:

I would invest in something like Solar Assistant to do the management of the batteries and inverter. This will allow you more control over the system. These inverters isn't good at reading State of charge on Lithium batteries via there voltage.

I do use Solar assistant. Inverter set to switch off at 20% SOC. to protect batteries as there is no AC or generator connected. 

1 hour ago, Jacques Ester said:

I'm currently using something called SMH (Solar Management Hub) ver 2.1.0 supplied by Centurion Solar. This runs on a Raspberry Pi.

There is 1 cable from the inverter to the Pi and 1 Console cable from the master battery to the Pi, so I've always assumed that that is doing the management for me.

Would Solar Assistant do a better job?

Thanks for your help!  

8 hours ago, Scorp007 said:

Unfortunately, factory firmware uses the cutoff voltage setting (setting 29) plus 4.0 V, unless setting 13 is higher still. So with setting 29 at 45.5 V, this would be 49.5 V.

That's why the LFP flavour of patched firmware can help; it reduces the 2.0 and 4.0 V values to 0.5 and 1.0 V respectively, reflecting the much lower voltage range of LFP batteries compared to lead-acid ones. Patched firmware is available for this model; either 72.20e if it's a 64 V model, or 74.40e if it's a 58.4 V model. See the PIP-5048 topic.