Deye 5Kw Inverter - Internal CT

MorphZan

HI All

I have a Deye 5Kw inverter (Deye SUN-5K-SG01LP1-EU). I was told there is an internal CT.
Is there anyone that has successfully connected theirs up to the system and if so
how you did this.

I have searched and cannot seem to find an image/photo showing what the internal CT even looks like.

The whole principle of operation of the Deye/Sunsynk inverters relies on the correct placement of the EXTERNAL CT which definitely is supplied with the inverter.

However, from personal experience, some installers/suppliers are quite happy to state that you can install the supplied CT within the casing on the incoming live cable. They are ignorant of the bi-directional capability of these systems.

8 minutes ago, MorphZan said:

So from this I can take it that the Unit should have an External CT and the installer walked off with it?

Check if he didn't leave behind anything in a box. Usually in the Deye inverter's box there's a smaller carton (white, I think) with the CT coil in it.

Other than that, are you sure that your installer didn't mean that he installed the CT coil internally into your DB board?

Or otherwise maybe he really meant that he installed it internally inside the inverter. That would be the wrong way to do it, but at least it's not dishonest.

1 minute ago, GreenFields said:

Check if he didn't leave behind anything in a box. Usually in the Deye inverter's box there's a smaller carton (white, I think) with the CT coil in it.

Other than that, are you sure that your installer didn't mean that he installed the CT coil internally into your DB board?

Or otherwise maybe he really meant that he installed it internally inside the inverter. That would be the wrong way to do it, but at least it's not dishonest.

My Installer not only said nothing about the CT, he asked if he could bin the box for me which I said thank you .
As they were binning the box I asked if there was anything in it I would such as OH SAY THE MANUALs etc!!!

As of a month and half later I still do not have an ORIGINAL COC (I got a photo of one via whats app a month after install)
I notice the L-type Hexagon wrench is also gone. I have caught him in multiple blatant lies with regards to delivery of said COC
(Told me he was in Hermanus, when he was down the road working on an install at someone who i know very well - he obviously didnt know we talk)

Right from a Deye Manual

Zero Export To Load: Hybrid inverter will only provide power to the backup load connected. The hybrid
inverter will neither provide power to the home load nor sell power to grid. The built-in CT will detect
power flowing back to the grid and will reduce the power of the inverter only to supply the local load and
charge the battery

I guess internal CT only applies when you choose Zero Export To Load

Edited by Jakac
more context

13 minutes ago, Jakac said:

Right from a Deye Manual

I guess internal CT only applies when you choose Zero Export To Load

Thank you for that. I have asked him as the manual indicates a Sensor Clamp (I would think a sensor clamp is an external CT clamp but I could be mistaken) which I have never seen and can't see it in the inverter either.

2 hours ago, MorphZan said:

Thank you for that. I have asked him as the manual indicates a Sensor Clamp (I would think a sensor clamp is an external CT clamp but I could be mistaken) which I have never seen and can't see it in the inverter either.

Tell him you want it, comes in the box 

Looks something like this 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3CIs3urb9zZSRV0kxwdC

4 minutes ago, abd7 said:

Tell him you want it, comes in the box 

Looks something like this 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3CIs3urb9zZSRV0kxwdC

I what's apped him earlier and he told me it is connected in my main DB already (Connected to the load breaker)

IMG_20230521_174102.thumb.jpg.07e92777bc000a0ed9f0adb32a69b038.jpg

Edited by MorphZan

3 hours ago, GreenFields said:

He says it is IN the DB board. How will see if it is connected to the inverter?

1 hour ago, Superfly said:

Looks like shoddy workmanship to me - seems they McGuyver'd an old type fuse board and inserted a din rail.. with the wrong size cover... and no blanks with big hole right next to Main switch! doesn't inspire confidence... 

This is the DB the house came with Brand New 😂 Many in our complex have had to redo their boards in order to get a COC to sell their property.

My installer tells me the clamp is in there but I'm not a out to remove that cover to look!!! 

How will I know if the CT is connected to the inverter? 

1 hour ago, MorphZan said:

This is the DB the house came with Brand New 😂 Many in our complex have had to redo their boards in order to get a COC to sell their property.

My installer tells me the clamp is in there but I'm not a out to remove that cover to look!!! 

How will I know if the CT is connected to the inverter? 

Have you checked whether the inverter's System Work mode settings operate as they should? What makes you think that the CT coil isn't there? That's not clear from the first posts.

The CT coil is supposed to be connected to the live feed wire behind the panel. Maybe see if you can spot the black and white twisted pair of wires connected to it. Otherwise, short of opening the DB (don't do that), you can try the following:

I'm assuming here that your stove is not connected to your essential loads. The installer should be able to confirm that this is the case.

That being so, first operate your inverter on the System Work mode setting "Zero Export to Load," and turn on the Time-Of-Use timer. This will allow only your essential loads to operate from the battery and solar, probably the plugs and lights. So far so good. Turn on your stove to make sure that there is no jump in power taken from the battery for the non-essential loads, the stove should be powered only from mains.

Next, change your setting to "Zero Export to CT." If the CT coil is installed correctly, the inverter should now be allowing power to be diverted also to your non-essential load like the stove. Turn on the stove and check whether there is a jump in power supplied from the battery. If this works as expected, then most probably the CT coil is installed correctly, but just out of sight.

Edited by GreenFields

20 hours ago, GreenFields said:

Have you checked whether the inverter's System Work mode settings operate as they should? What makes you think that the CT coil isn't there? That's not clear from the first posts.

The CT coil is supposed to be connected to the live feed wire behind the panel. Maybe see if you can spot the black and white twisted pair of wires connected to it. Otherwise, short of opening the DB (don't do that), you can try the following:

I'm assuming here that your stove is not connected to your essential loads. The installer should be able to confirm that this is the case.

That being so, first operate your inverter on the System Work mode setting "Zero Export to Load," and turn on the Time-Of-Use timer. This will allow only your essential loads to operate from the battery and solar, probably the plugs and lights. So far so good. Turn on your stove to make sure that there is no jump in power taken from the battery for the non-essential loads, the stove should be powered only from mains.

Next, change your setting to "Zero Export to CT." If the CT coil is installed correctly, the inverter should now be allowing power to be diverted also to your non-essential load like the stove. Turn on the stove and check whether there is a jump in power supplied from the battery. If this works as expected, then most probably the CT coil is installed correctly, but just out of sight.

I can confirm CT Coil is installed but as @Superfly said earlier in the thread this DB does not inspire confidence 😔 I don't want to touch anything myself 🤣

If I change the setting to export to CT and the coil is facing the wrong way will anything "bad" happen?

IMG20230522175317.jpg

9 minutes ago, Jakac said:

I suggest you do not touch anything in this DB board. Rather have a professional do it if you want to. In future if you are to open this, use insulated gloves and screw driver

Used these gloves as they were all i had. Sad that a brand new home got an electrical COC with a board like that.

IMG20230522181818.jpg

22 hours ago, GreenFields said:

System is set to "Zero Export to Load" and Time of Use is on and been working fine for the last month:

image.thumb.jpeg.236d481a5458f5d053cf40361508b6d5.jpeg

When the oven is on there is no "jump" in power at all:

image.thumb.jpeg.41932115b12bc08b40e0e9ff2f76f802.jpeg

@GreenFields If I set "Zero Export to CT" will the system work as it did before (PV power to load then battery) and will I see non essentials (Oven, Geyser) showing on the house load on the inverter?

If the Coil is facing the wrong way for some reason - will this cause any damage/issues or will it just not work correctly?

53 minutes ago, Superfly said:

I can't comment on the CT coil stuff but you really must get that DB fixed -  looks like they bypassed the Earth Leakage as well - probably due to trips caused by bad connections elsewhere - absolutely horrendous set up!

@Superfly As I mentioned before - Brand new house, Brand new board - HORRENDOUS DEVELOPERS - many units here have soo many issues (All lights on one breaker, all plugs on one breaker). Most units that have sold have had to redo the entire board so in fairness I don't think the mess is from the installer but I feel he should have come to me and said, you have these issues and for an additional fee we can fix this!!!

16 minutes ago, MorphZan said:

System is set to "Zero Export to Load" and Time of Use is on and been working fine for the last month:

image.thumb.jpeg.236d481a5458f5d053cf40361508b6d5.jpeg

When the oven is on there is no "jump" in power at all:

image.thumb.jpeg.41932115b12bc08b40e0e9ff2f76f802.jpeg

@GreenFields If I set "Zero Export to CT" will the system work as it did before (PV power to load then battery) and will I see non essentials (Oven, Geyser) showing on the house load on the inverter?

If the Coil is facing the wrong way for some reason - will this cause any damage/issues or will it just not work correctly?

You will still have a setup where PV first is used to power the loads and then the battery. The difference is now that the PV can also be diverted to your non-essential loads like the geyser if you want to heat it up with support during the day. If there is not enough PV, then the battery will be used also to power the non-essential loads. Maybe you don't want to discharge the battery for this, but it can be controlled through your time-of-use settings, in conjunction with for example a geyser time. I'm not 100% what will be the display for house loads, but I think the Deye display is not great at differentiating between essential and non-essential house loads. So you might not see a jump in house loads (don't 100% know now), but you should be able to see a difference between supplying the non-essential loads from grid vs from battery.

If the CT coil is installed the wrong way, it will not work correctly. And I've been assuming that the stove is on the non-essential load.

37 minutes ago, GreenFields said:

You will still have a setup where PV first is used to power the loads and then the battery. The difference is now that the PV can also be diverted to your non-essential loads like the geyser if you want to heat it up with support during the day. If there is not enough PV, then the battery will be used also to power the non-essential loads. Maybe you don't want to discharge the battery for this, but it can be controlled through your time-of-use settings, in conjunction with for example a geyser time. I'm not 100% what will be the display for house loads, but I think the Deye display is not great at differentiating between essential and non-essential house loads. So you might not see a jump in house loads (don't 100% know now), but you should be able to see a difference between supplying the non-essential loads from grid vs from battery.

If the CT coil is installed the wrong way, it will not work correctly. And I've been assuming that the stove is on the non-essential load.

Thanks for this. I will give it a try tomorrow and see. Oven and Geyser are the non essentials and I was hoping if they worked through the inverter then I'd have an accurate record of all power "purchased" from the grid but if not my next option is to replace the breakers with smart breakers (sonoff or CBI perhaps) and then add it all to Home Assistant.

Good Day All

I can now confirm the CT coil is installed correctly. If I set the Inverter to Export to CT I can see the Geyser and the Oven through the inverter.

And yes, I am in the process of finding a well recommended Electrician to come in and sort out my DB Board

Thanks to all for you comments/assistance/suggestions...... Very Much Appreciated