Solis S6 Pro Hybrid Inverter Review

Inverter Behavior:

• Battery priority mode: My Solis with setting SBU set to prioritize battery use,
  •  The inverter stops using the battery when the voltage reaches 44.5V and switches to grid power while also charging the battery.
  • During a grid outage, if the battery voltage is above 44.5V (which seems to be the case in your scenario at 50V), the inverter doesn't automatically switch back to battery power. This results in a blackout.
    Can some one help me in it.
  • Regards

11 hours ago, Jameston said:

If I switch the mains off on my DB board, I lose power even if the batteries are full. Is that right?

It all depends how the DB is wired. Place a picture of your AC inverter DB as well as your main DB. 

I have seen a system where the whole house runs from an inverter and the installer used the grid main MCB as the inverter output MCB. Switching the main switch off cuts the inverter power to the whole house. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Im about to install a solis s6 pro 8kw with an 8.8kW in solar and 8 200Ah 12V GEL battery sistem wich it was previously installed by another company.

I've been reading the solis manual were they talk about the temperature sensor conected to the positive or negative module battery and conected to an rj45 to the BMS of the inverter port but doesnt say anything about what pin is conected from the temperature sensor wich has 2 pins into the rj45 connector to the BMS terminal...  

Can someone help me in it..

Thanks

SOLIS TEMEPRATURA.png

12 hours ago, FranciscoM said:

Hi there,

Im about to install a solis s6 pro 8kw with an 8.8kW in solar and 8 200Ah 12V GEL battery sistem wich it was previously installed by another company.

I've been reading the solis manual were they talk about the temperature sensor conected to the positive or negative module battery and conected to an rj45 to the BMS of the inverter port but doesnt say anything about what pin is conected from the temperature sensor wich has 2 pins into the rj45 connector to the BMS terminal...  

Can someone help me in it..

Thanks

SOLIS TEMEPRATURA.png

You get that peice with the equipment. Rj45 just slots into the inverter as is, and the washer end on the battery terminal.

Hi all...

So I bit the bullet and installed 2 separate Solis S6 systems. One was an 8kw and another 5kw. Both were connected to BSL Powerline 5 batteries which are approved by Solis.

Having been using the Powerlines for a while now with Sunsynk and not encountering a single issue, I felt that it would be a good combination with the Solis.

But they ended up being the most stressful installations in over 2 years. Both sites have the exact same problem of maintaining a constant SOC and the battery voltages steadily declining to a point the BMS shuts the battery down. Did a firmware update on the battery and inverter and still doing the exact same thing. 

BSL techs will log in again on to check, but was the switch to Solis over Sunsynk worth it? It's been a constant to and fro to sites and leaving a bad impression with my clients.

Definitely a good machine overall in terms of hardware, but software seems to be another ball game.

Solis and especially BSL tech support has been excellent thus far, but the problem persists.

If anyone has any suggestions to troubleshoot, it'll be highly appreciated. 

33 minutes ago, MANDS said:

Both sites have the exact same problem of maintaining a constant SOC

What SoC are you trying to maintain? Anything other than 100% will lead to the result you have discovered.

Set the battery reserve higher, the inverter will still use power to run itself. However if you use the time of use settings to disable discharging of the battery at night this should stop it and it will run via the grid only.. 

Post up the setting you have maybe someone can help.. 

1 hour ago, MANDS said:

Hi all...

So I bit the bullet and installed 2 separate Solis S6 systems. One was an 8kw and another 5kw. Both were connected to BSL Powerline 5 batteries which are approved by Solis.

Having been using the Powerlines for a while now with Sunsynk and not encountering a single issue, I felt that it would be a good combination with the Solis.

But they ended up being the most stressful installations in over 2 years. Both sites have the exact same problem of maintaining a constant SOC and the battery voltages steadily declining to a point the BMS shuts the battery down. Did a firmware update on the battery and inverter and still doing the exact same thing. 

BSL techs will log in again on to check, but was the switch to Solis over Sunsynk worth it? It's been a constant to and fro to sites and leaving a bad impression with my clients.

Definitely a good machine overall in terms of hardware, but software seems to be another ball game.

Solis and especially BSL tech support has been excellent thus far, but the problem persists.

If anyone has any suggestions to troubleshoot, it'll be highly appreciated. 

Are you saying the voltage is dropping(which is normal) but the SOC is staying at 100%? I initially had this issue but the bms firmware fixed this(seplos bms). So now while the battery is not in use the voltage and soc drop together until voltage recovery point is reached then it charges back to 100%. Mine looses 5% over a 12hr period 

So the idea is to discharge to 50% at night.  But even after reaching the 50% mark from a full charge, the voltage still drops without the SOC dropping.

Even on a full charge, the voltage gradually drops over 1v over the period of a few hours.

On the other site, the volt drop was rapid at 69%...

Screenshot_20240413_124652_SolisCloud.jpg

Screenshot_20240413_124511_SolisCloud.jpg

Screenshot_20240413_125057_SolisCloud.jpg

They're quite close, not much between them. 

The BSL uses the Pace BMS from what I gather...

BSL Tech used PBMS Tools to go in and update the battery.

Thing is, BSL was supposed to Float at atleast 54.5v. With the Solis, it Absorbs at 54.5v and drops by a considerable amount afterwards. 

Screenshot_20240413_133709_SolisCloud.jpg

Hi all...

So the issue with the Solis and BSL seems to be sorted out. 

I found a link on the net posted by BSL in China on how to commission with a Solis inverter.

Turns out, you need to set the inverter protocol on the BMS to "JINLANG" for them to communicate correctly. After this was done by the local BSL agent, the SOC vs Voltage has been very stable with 25% SOC giving me about 51.5v...

Overall, my experience thus far with the machines installed so far can be summarised as excellent hardware with maturing software.

The App tells me something in Chinese when I try locally connecting via WiFi, so I have no idea what's the issue. There's no SOC setting per time slot, which can get added on at a later stage. There's no priority load or battery option. It's load then battery.

Since the battery issue has been sorted out, is this still going to be my new default machine going forward? 

I think so.... Solis support has been very helpful (although they also couldn't identify what was causing the BMS issue). Their updates are quick and they're confident that updating under normal conditions won't brick their machine. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys...

So, my BMS issues in the end were not sorted out. It just prolonged the effects of the drift to over a week before it became apparent that something was still wrong.

Solis is JHB do have 2 BSL Batteries that they managed to get their hands on and are currently testing. But they are also experiencing the same issues.

The local BSL distributor is also in contact with the OEM in China to figure out what's going on. 

Another issue I picked up is when the battery dies and grid is restored, the back up port doesn't work. It only worked the next morning when pv was available. This is something that even the Solis guys in JHB are baffled at and are looking into it...

Following for info, let us know how you get on. 

I assume you've received a quick response from all parties. Sounds like your in good hand to get it resolved.. 

Hi, I just installed the Solis S6 system 8kW without the batteries yet, so I cant help you with that issue youre having.

I my case the back-up port suddenly stopped working 2 nights ago leaving the whole house without energy. I had to travel at 1 A.M. 80Km to bypass the inverter from the grid to the house. I think the inverter is so sensible to the grid parameters (Voltage and frequency) wich changes mostly during nights and if one of them is not within the range just simply will not conect the back up port. What I did was modify the grid parameters in "User defined50". So far the client havent reported any issue.