The PowerForum Store / Forum and Members

Because of me "having" to upgrade, got me thinking. 

Why:

• do I have to buy:
    • some parts in George, 
    • some parts Bloemfontein, sent via Johannesburg to be delivered to Cape Town.
  • Why could I not buy it all from The PowerForum Store, who has the best price found anywhere in SA?
  • are there competitors on the forum competing with Forum members?
    • Forum whom have been helping other member with parts for a long time, with advice and support, free.
  • are these Forum members selling parts for cheaper than the commercial supplier?
  • are these Forum members not allowed to sell their goods via The PowerForum Store?

Why can members of this forum not get 10% discount on The PowerForum Store for being a PF Member?

Generally speaking: Why:

• don't we have electricians here that can help us install correctly, via foto's, who then just pop in, check, and give a CoC? 
  • where are The Engineers who can sign-off grid connected systems, after having ensured the installation is as required?
  • can I not sell a system in Phalaborwa to a new client,
    • parts bought from the PF Store,
    • when the client has a problem I contact a forum member there to help out
    • who then invoices me for that assist?

Why do we not make it happen, all in one place, that we can enjoy helping each other, buy at the best price anywhere, via The Powerforum Store and Forum?

The PowerForum Store and Forum, is one. Store sells, Forum supports.

1. Store makes a profit, helps pay for the forum.
  2. Forum members help and advise purchasers, before and after, for we have a forum and like to help already.
  3. Forum members overall also gets the benefit of lower prices ... and other free advices.
  4. More member's = more sales = more people buying whom are not on the forum = the solar industry wins.

Once we have the plan, then we tackle  @Energy ... to make it so. :D

Note: Do not tell me why it won't work .. tell me how to make it work.

6 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

don't we have electricians here that can help us install correctly, via foto's, who then just pop in, check, and give a CoC? 

What's in it for the electrician?

Ever wonder why Daihatsu never sold the Terios with a decently sized engine? Because 50% of Daihatsu is owned by Toyota and there is no way they'd let it compete with the RAV4 :-)

Just now, plonkster said:

Electrician / client has two options off the top of my head:
1) Client say, come, you do it ... and it happens.
2) Client says I can / want to do it myself, help me ... they agree a consulting fee upfront, which is paid, or it is paid at sign off.

Got the idea from my NBEEF and "The Engineer". Both said if I do X, they can both drop their prices.

Just now, The Terrible Triplett said:

Got the idea from my NBEEF and "The Engineer". Both said if I do X, they can both drop their prices.

As long as there is something in it for the electrician. The labourer is worthy of his wages :-)

Though I am with you, I do like doing some things myself. I'd rather get the sparky for two hours (and pay him for it) to do the stuff he's good at... and do the trunking and the other nonsense myself... because good people are busy people... hard to get hold of. Have that problem right now, my sparky friend is supposed to pencil me in early next week. I can bet you he forgot... so now I have to be the pain who reminds him every day.

1 minute ago, plonkster said:

... pencil me in early next week. I can bet you he forgot ...

Ditto. Mine forgot today. :)

But I'm not upset, I'll wait for good things are scarce.

Thanks so much guys!

We are 2-3 weeks away from Launching the Powerforum Store!

Lots of meetings have been taking place - not too worry!

Its going to be good! Please note the current powerforum store is outdated. The new one with new products to come!

Logistics is 110% sorted at the best rates! You click, pay, items arrive at your door!

Something Exciting! We even have a Powerforum Installer Nation wide , if you so need!  The installer will also assist with CoC.

Also financing will be available!! Thus we will be able to handle everything for you from start to finish! We even have a Doctor of Engineering onboard! If that helps :> Awesome down to earth guy.

Do not worry about the small details now. Just know its going to be GREAT!!!!! We throwing our hearts at it 24/7 and working 24/7!

Sincerely

Jason

4 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Note: Do not tell me why it won't work . tell me how to make it work.

It can work, but to make a success you need volumes volumes and more volumes. I hope there is enough installer on the forum to help with this, because if we are only supplying to the normal guy, the sales might not be significant enough to do what you hoped it would. Upgrading isn't always possible for everybody?

4 hours ago, plonkster said:

This is difficult, the electrician / installer spend hours and a few trips to clients who "know everything" about solar to try and explain that the 2.4kw inveter that the client wants to install can not produce 2.4kw with only 2 x 50 watt panels connected to it. So if your lucky the client will believe you that his idea, formed by some video on the internet was wrong and "agrees" that the 2.4kw inverter is not negotiable, that must be supplied, and now there is only enough money to buy 3 x 300 watt panels. And while you at it, please connect these four old tractor batteries to the inverter, and next week, please come and explain why our lights is only burning till 20H15... "Maar oom, ons het mos al hieroor gepraat..... maar boet, die battery start dan die trekker, nou wil jy my kom vertel 4 van hulle kan nie daai paar liggies laat brand nie.. "  

With all the competition in the solar industry, the profit margins are really small. And after supplying the 3 x 300 watt only , because he "sommer" bought the inverter at some shop behind Spar, you can almost cover the petrol for the trips you took to explain solar to him. 

Tell him your not interested in the 3 panel sale, and none of his neighbors will ever contact you. 

42 minutes ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

This is difficult, the electrician / installer spend hours and a few trips to clients who "know everything" ...

Very good point, clearly out of experience.

My thinking is that the Forumites have first sorted out any misconceptions, laid down the foundation, person made use of that spreadsheet I uploaded - to burst the bubbles.

There are a lot of clients like me out there that wants it like this:
Get this part at PF store, install that so, connect this like there in the trunking.
Send foto's as you progress, or get confussed.
Once done, I will come around to connect to the DB.
Costs: R400 for consultation via Whatsapp + R700 onsite and CoC.

Before anyone says that is too cheap ...
Already have that price for travelling, connection to DB and sign off with CoC for the Multigrid - IF all is right at the DB.
The Engineer said: If CoC is in hand, you help fill out the forms, as that takes quite a bit of time ... Another huge saving of his time, lower costs for me.

Got the idea a while back from an engineer. We needed a few stairs built.
Engineer said, if I come out, R1500 per visit (3 x visits). However, if you use XYZ person to build the stairs, then it is R450 per staircase.
How so I queried. The guy can build stairs, trust me he said, you'll see. He sends me a photo of the casing and steel work before the concrete is poured.
Saved him time and me a few thousand on fees.

And o my word, the guy who built the stairs ... a perfectionist, fast, immensely experienced.

Ps. give that Oom that spreadsheet on battery calcs. :-) 

42 minutes ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

... you need volumes volumes and more volumes.

Two choices: Low prices big volumes or big prices low volumes.

The bulk of the sales comes via Google, as PF is well represented in searches.

Thing is, on bigger margins, all of us HERE know how to shop. So pay it back, buy via PF Store, let your favourite supplier supply PF Store, by paying a little bit extra, and get free support thrown in via the forum.

Like someone told me today. Why does Mercedes, BMW, Bugatti still survive, against Tata and Daai-hatsjoe! ? They sell to a very specific market. 
Solar, which market are you targeting with PF Store? 
The MB / BMW owner, or the DIY installer? 
Work both ends. Parts are the cheapest in SA, get it installed by a installer, via PF Store, at a good price.

Edited by Guest

39 minutes ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

I hope there is enough installer on the forum to help with this,

With this, lets say YOU sell a system to someone in Cpt. You did all, went back. Now the person is "lekker confused".  You call me, can I go and take a look, be your eyes and ears - even fix it myself. R350ph you offer. 

Suddenly your wings expand. 

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Like someone told me today. Why does Mercedes, BMW, Bugatti still survive, against Tata and Diahatsu? 

That makes sense, had the same conversation today, I guess with the same guy, so that explains "Phalaborwa" and "From Bloem via Jhb - Capetown. " in the first post....

Just hope this time around the shop really takes off...  the forum need something like that. 

18 minutes ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

..  the forum need something like that. 

Three things:
1) Shop must be the only commercial supplier for the Forum on the Forum.
2) Prices MUST be competitive. Like i.e. SegenSolar dealer prices ex VAT are more expensive than a online solar retailer I found.
3) Focus on what the forum tends to use / want like some BMV's, lithium batteries, some Trojans but like only J200RE's not the WHOLE list, Victron on order, Axpert, Infini's, panels etc.

Use Forum members to import stuff like battery balancers, sold via the store. Mayeb even import infini's. Do a deal, PF shops sells and takes care of the cash, pays supplier once a month minus 1-5%.

Like anyone wants a Infini's now for R38k - instead of over R50k - drop me a PM - I'm serious, know where there are about 6 available right now.

Deals like that goes via the Forum shop ... from members.

And installers advertise on PF store, PF Shops takes care of all the parts, installer installs, PF takes care of the monies, pays installers minus 1-5%. 

Any forum members that can help, offers help to installers to get to clients where they cannot.

Make it a community, some of us will help, a lot more need help. 

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, plonkster said:

Have that problem right now, my sparky friend is supposed to pencil me in early next week. I can bet you he forgot... so now I have to be the pain who reminds him every day.

Give your sparky friend a call over the weekend (he is a friend right?) just say all the kit has arrived you have X and Y and 15m of 6mm2 cable extra the trunking is done. That gently reminds him he is due with you on Tuesday and Sunday he might remember.

8 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

some Trojans but like only J200RE's not the WHOLE list,

Okay, and if a client wants T105R's , where do I get them. I thought the Idea was a One Stop Shop. 

And out of curiosity, the way you see it, who is going to run this shop again? 

8 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

1) Shop must be the only commercial supplier for the Forum on the Forum.

I for one, dont buy anything without at least three quotations. If point one is true, The forum shop will be just another shop to get a quote from. 

If other commercial suppliers are allowed on the forum, the Forum becomes my One Stop mall where I can compare products and prices from different suppliers.

To me more suppliers will be better, gives the forum members a choice, thats what most people i know wants in life... a choice.... 

2 minutes ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

I for one, dont buy anything without at least three quotations. If point one is true, The forum shop will be just another shop to get a quote from. 

If other commercial suppliers are allowed on the forum, the Forum becomes my One Stop mall where I can compare products and prices from different suppliers.

To me more suppliers will be better, gives the forum members a choice, thats what most people i know wants in life... a choice.... 

Now there is an idea I like - It will lead to convergence in price fairly soon - so then it will be down to service.

Thanks for the clarity of these posts, Jaco and Chris. I welcome all commercial sellers to the forum. They are very very welcome to make use of the commercial section. At Powerforum we have at the moment close to 1000 visitors per day. I welcome ALL commercial and or sole proprietor"s. 

I never and do not want the upcoming Powerforum store to have a monopoly over the forum members. This is not our vision! The store will start of and will never be able to stock and source everything. A commercial member might be a pro with the product he sells and can better assist the public. I fully welcome this.

Its not about getting rich, sure it would be awesome that the store sales covers the forum costs , and I can make a bit of pocket money to pay for R1300 per hour in a odd cessna at the flying club. I want to keep it open and accessible to all. This I will always stick too. Thanks Jaco and Chris for help explaining,

Sincerely

Jason Back

You guys know I seriously shop around. 

What is not known about me, I tend to return to select suppliers even if they are more expensive, or the courier fees are more.

I really value their personal touch or in some cases I know I am helping in some other way by paying a bit more.

Do not care if the ball gets dropped honestly sometimes by them, shiite happens all the time, I still stick to my select suppliers. Don't move easily. 

So, re. the PF Store, from my side, I'm happy having thrown a few ideas out there, maybe a new idea or two was picked up. 

Now, about the re-opening of the PF store. Are there any opening specials ... :D

25 minutes ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

For us its the same up here in Phalaborwa. I love the quite life up here, but miss the "dorp" when it comes to doing business. Buying 90 plus % of what i use from the "Dorp" and courier it up here. 

Your preaching to the choir, whenever I think, ok I need item X, I immediately add 2-3 working days in my head before it lands on my stoep :P

Life is cheap and tranquil here but boy does it suck if you need anything you can't find in Checkers or Game... 

• 6 months later...
On 2018/08/31 at 6:53 PM, Energy said:

Thanks so much guys!

We are 2-3 weeks away from Launching the Powerforum Store!

Lots of meetings have been taking place - not too worry!

Its going to be good! Please note the current powerforum store is outdated. The new one with new products to come!

Logistics is 110% sorted at the best rates! You click, pay, items arrive at your door!

Something Exciting! We even have a Powerforum Installer Nation wide , if you so need!  The installer will also assist with CoC.

Also financing will be available!! Thus we will be able to handle everything for you from start to finish! We even have a Doctor of Engineering onboard! If that helps 😆 Awesome down to earth guy.

Do not worry about the small details now. Just know its going to be GREAT!!!!! We throwing our hearts at it 24/7 and working 24/7!

Sincerely

Jason

Is the Powerforum Store a reality already?

Found it.

Edited by Vosser
Found it