hi guys, getting the stuff has proven to be quite costly...transport to Kenya(around R5k), custom duty R7k....:huh:

So am forced to get the stuff from here...I have enough cash to get a Multiplus 48/3000va, 4 agm batteries and either a bmv 702 or Venus gx. So guys which should i go for?

the mppt scc will join the blue siblings later next month

Edited by Aizen79

4 hours ago, Aizen79 said:

Multiplus 48/3000va, 4 agm batteries and either a bmv 702 or Venus gx.

Multiplus, batteries and BMV702 the first. That is the core.

VenusGX only comes in later, if needed.

Edited by Guest

Hi guys....sorry just wanted your honest opinion. Don’t want to offend anyone.....since am looking for UPS system for my house what’s your opinion on the axpert king with its 0ms changeover time compared to the Victron system. How reliable is the Axpert king?

On 2019/01/22 at 7:52 PM, Aizen79 said:

Hi guys....sorry just wanted your honest opinion. Don’t want to offend anyone.....since am looking for UPS system for my house what’s your opinion on the axpert king with its 0ms changeover time compared to the Victron system. How reliable is the Axpert king?

I had an Axpert that quit on me after 3 years. I have moved over to Victron. 

My father once explained to me, in terms of tractors, how you decide what to buy. I may not remember the exact numbers, and these have surely changed in recent years, but let me see if I can retell it: A Massey Ferguson is 10 000 hour tractor. A John Deere is a 15 000 hour tractor. You pay a lot more for the latter compared to the former. Depending on your application, you should buy the red tractor.

Similarly, I put an Axpert around the 5-year mark (I know there are a few people here going into year 6 now, this is just a round estimate). I put Victron inverters around the 10-15 year mark.

Edit: One of the tractors I learned to drive on.

mas265.jpg.e29db38e270a782ce3421f7866d6040d.jpg

Edited by plonkster

On 2019/01/22 at 7:52 PM, Aizen79 said:

... since am looking for UPS system for my house ...

Yes, but what is not said, as a UPS, the Axpert is not "working" 24/7/365. Only when there is a power failure and only as long as the batts can power it.

Moment you add solar and all that with bigger loads that are constantly on and off, the electronics works much harder.

So there is that too.

2 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Yes, but what is not said, as a UPS, the Axpert is not "working" 24/7/365. Only when there is a power failure and only as long as the batts can power it.

He did ask about the King model, which is online all the time 🙂

I know there is that whole thing about not judging the man by the clothes, but in general, when I buy a Ryobi it is because I know it is going to be used 5 times a year and will last a lifetime for that reason. If I intend to use it harder, I'll get a Bosch or even a Makita.

(I managed to stay away from car analogies... whoo!)

9 minutes ago, plonkster said:

He did ask about the King model, which is online all the time ...

True. Fact remains with no panels it is less ":strained". Comparison would be a APC UPS, as Victron as a UPS is a overkill, sorry.

And UPS'es have a host more protections built in, even more so when online.

UNLESS you are planning to go grid tied / ESS and all that later, then starting with Victron as a UPS make sense yes.

Otherwise my, a "not-a-fan-of-voltronic-ever" would grudgingly admit that the King is a good idea as a UPS. 😀

Just now, The Terrible Triplett said:

Otherwise my, a "not-a-fan-of-voltronic-ever" would grudgingly admit that the King is a good idea as a UPS. 😀

Fair enough. And they are predominantly a UPS maker. So yeah... still depends on price though 🙂

3 minutes ago, Aizen79 said:

Plonkster and TTT,   If am planning to add panels to the system..I keep away from King and stick to the Blue power. Right?

That would be a good idea yes ... grid tied with a Multiplus II ... and it is a UPS out of the box with no panels. 🙂 

Base my opinion purely on the fact that I do not know of one person who went Victron on this forum who regretted it.

All problems that may surface, all settings and config question, are dealt with, no warranty issues with equipment that is "plug and forget", if that is your thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I will be getting my new Easysolar 48/3000(1st generation without ccgx) today...am planning to mate it with Ritar sealed batteries..unfortunately my supplier doesn’t have the MK3-USB cable currently....will the default settings of the inverter sufficient to charge the batteries? Am lazy to change the settings via dip switches...

3 minutes ago, Aizen79 said:

will the default settings of the inverter sufficient to charge the batteries

It will charge, sure. I don't know to what voltage and at what current (usually they ship configured for max output), but the defaults will probably be sort of okay for now.

48 minutes ago, Aizen79 said:

25mm2 welding cable....can I get away with this cable

Rule of thumb says multiply by 5 to get ampacity. So good for 125A at a squeeze, but remember that inverter can peak at 6kw for a second or so. So if you fuse the cable to a lower value, then sure... you can use it in the interim... but it is not recommended of course.

Hi guys, day one of installation...

am yet to clean up....solar panels, bvm, Venus GX...are yet to come. The solar charge controller bulk led keeps blinking every 2-3 secs...is this normal?

Am very happy with the transfer time after simulated power failure....the charger goes to float almost immediately...

26EDC0AB-28ED-428A-B821-03C811AD8330.jpeg

74F1E9F1-F2EF-4E35-9B14-5BE3ECBD2020.jpeg

D4C20A70-A97B-4FEB-A9F4-AC356B3C2ACD.jpeg

Edited by Aizen79

38 minutes ago, Aizen79 said:

The solar charge controller bulk led keeps blinking every 2-3 secs...is this normal? 

That's normal 🙂 I cannot quite recall what it means or why, but mine does the same and they work just fine.

Good day. Just started on this journey. I'm staying on a smallholding outside Centurion. We have 3 phase power. I have a 3phase borehole pump but the rest are all single phase. The eskom box has 3 meeters, 2 are of the olde revolving wheel type and one is .?? "new type" I'm hoping to get an Hybrid type inverter [Victron Multiplus  or InifiniSolar 3K PLUS Single Phase Hybrid Single MPPT Inverter Charger bi directional ] ANd maybe one Lition Iron Battery [PylonTech US2000B Lithium Ion] and pair this with 5 or 6 300W solar panels. These should just power my house during the day and a portion of the night when it should switch over to Eskom until the next day. I have a Solar geaser (with Eskom backup)

What I hope to get from this forum.

Some advise on my Planned setup.

To read about the things I should not be doing , or should rather be doing. Maybe also advise on better alternatives to the Inverters or batteries that I have chosen so far..

Usually these forums also are the first to know and to "broadcast" new technology or specials.

and in time maybe also contribute lessons that I have learned.