Axpert stay in BYPASS

kobus joubert

Got my system all wired up on Saturday.

Axpert 5kW, Pylontech 3.5 and 9x330W panels in 3x3 array.

Was happy to see all the free power running the house.

Our Baseline is 130 to 250 W and the first night the house ran on the battery with about 23% capacity left when the sun came out.

System was fully charged just after 10h00 in the morning.

So the next day we pushed it to see what can be powered at the same time.

What I saw was even with a SOC of 100% when we draw close to 3.5kW the system automatically switched to Bypass. Soon as the load was lower it switched back to Sol / Battery.

Last night we pushed it again past 3.5 kw. It switched to bypass...FINE, but then it stayed on bypass with a base load of 216 Watt and SOC of 98%. No sun on panels as it was evening.

I could not get it to use the battery and it ran on Bypass all evening.

This morning when the sun came out it went back to normal normal.

Why?  What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

Your bulk and float settings are way too high for PylonTech batteries. They should be 53.2 and 53.0 V respectively.

If you can reflash with the LFP version of 73.00e, the KettleKomp™ feature should prevent too-frequent switching to bypass (line) mode. Also, using the LFP version of the patched firmware should fix the problem of the far-too-sensitive low battery warning, so you should be able to change setting 29 back to a higher voltage, probably the PylonTech recommended one.

When we dabbled with SolWEB, we found some very interesting data coming in. We simply dumped that dud data.

If everyone is 100% sure that there can never be any feedback whatsoever, that it is not a indication of a potential problem somewhere else, then alter the software to ignore all negative grid values from all Axperts.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

I still having funny issues. The Inverter flashes a error code 4... I think it is LOW bat voltage,  but the battery is at 50 Plus volts...This causes the inverter to go into bypass mode using External power when I know there is a full battery available.

The cables are securely fastened and it is the thick type as supplied by Pylontech.

20190217_085814.thumb.jpg.054d131d7614c7b4cb66c75ba981cb29.jpg

What is happening here ?

screengrab-20190213-213641.jpg

4 hours ago, kobus joubert said:

Flashing did not work. I know the USB to serial is working as I can use the Inverter software to access the settings etc.

We've established that your machine is a clone. Unfortunately, it's looking like the ones that come with main firmware version LC1 72.70c can't be updated, possibly due to a lack of bootloader code.

So the good news is that you have the premature float bugs fixed. The bad news is it looks like you'll have to live with the other glitches that are presumably a result of imperfect copying. Sorry.

Spoken to my supplier. He is sending me a REAL Mercer / Axpert MKS II. Will send back his CLONE.

Let's see how different this model is after upgrading it with the Li-Ion battery firmware from our friends down under. 👍

Last night we ran out of battery and it switched to GRID.  Nothing wrong with that.

So this morning it is overcast at home.  But the system stays on GRID even though the switching point of 49 V has been reached.

I was told the Axpert Inverter cannot SHARE loads, but if I look at this picture it was doing exactly that.  System is setup to only charge from PV. But it was charging the battery from PV, the load was 112 W and I was still taking 74 Watts from the grid.

Eventually I switched it manually to Battery (Grid watts went to Zero) and it is still on battery, slowly charging the battery and supplying the base load.

Wed 20 Feb 2019.jpg

On 2019/02/20 at 5:56 PM, kobus joubert said:

Spoken to my supplier. He is sending me a REAL Mercer / Axpert MKS II. Will send back his CLONE.

I guess the clones are surprising some of the suppliers as much as the owners.

If only all suppliers were as accommodating. Well done.

@kobus joubert I have Trojan lead-acid batteries and a BMV700 feeding information to ICC-Pi so my setup is somewhat different from yours. I see your Output Source Priority is set to Utility instead of Solar First,  assuming you have flashed the Axperts with Aussie  firmware Version 73.00e. Your Back to Grid Voltage is set to 48V which seems a bit high to me. Mine is set to 44V to prevent the Axpert's settings clashing with the BMV700 and thus confusing ICC. Perhaps you should try 46V or whatever the battery specs are for minimum voltage. Just make it a bit higher than Cutoff Voltage which you have at 44V. You have Back to Discharge Voltage set to 54V which is even higher than your Bulk Charge Voltage. Perhaps you should set this at Float Voltage. I would recommend setting AC Input Range to UPS as the inverter switches over faster and I find that some gadgets that would  need to be switched on again because of the delay of Appliance is mostly prevented. 

Thanks, will have a look.

But I have my new Inverter installed yesterday afternoon. It is now a Mercer MKS II.

Wil try and flash it this afternoon. Currently it has 71.50 installed.  It is a December 2018 model and this time there is a month sticker seal thing and Dec 2018 corresponds with the serial number 92931812........

BUT it is still MADE IN CHINA,  not Taiwan.

Also the rated power is 5000VA/5000W where as the old one only showed 4000W.

What is different ? The new one is much quieter. 

BUT the PV input connector is much smaller.  On the old one I managed to put 3 x 4mm wires into the connector.  Then Mercer one cannot take 3 x 4mm wires.

Will see how she performs after flashing with Lith-ion firmware later.

17 minutes ago, kobus joubert said:

Thanks, will have a look.

But I have my new Inverter installed yesterday afternoon. It is now a Mercer MKS II.

Wil try and flash it this afternoon. Currently it has 71.50 installed.  It is a December 2018 model and this time there is a month sticker seal thing and Dec 2018 corresponds with the serial number 92931812........

BUT the PV input connector is much smaller.  On the old one I managed to put 3 x 4mm wires into the connector.  Then Mercer one cannot take 3 x 4mm wires.

Will see how she performs after flashing with Lith-ion firmware later.

Firmware is U1 71.50.

But the Model Name is SOL-I-AX-5NB.

Is this another clone or what ?

On 2019/02/26 at 4:07 PM, kobus joubert said:

I wish I saw this post in time. Because it's an Axpert MKS II, as opposed to an Axpert MKS (non II), it's a model that has the higher voltage (450 V max Voc) MPPT. These models have incompatible hardware compared to the 145 V MPPT versions. There is no firmware update for the 450 V MPPT models, patched or otherwise, that I'm aware of.

Unfortunately, the reflash tool doesn't stop you from updating with 73.00 (patched or not), and in this case the results are disasterous. I received a frantic PM from @kobus joubert this morning (my time).

For the sake of other readers: please read the download instructions carefully!

• Usually, the major firmware version numbers have to match. The exceptions are the 72.XX series (XX ≥ 40), which replaced early 52.YY series, and are replaced by 73.00 (so far).
  • 71.XX is for high voltage MPPT models. There are no firmware update files for these models.
  • PF1 models and PF0.8 models (see below) have different, incompatible firmware. There is patched firmware for PF1 models (with all the patched firmware features, such as AussieView™, Dynamic Charge Control, Dynamic Load Control, and KettleKomp™), but ONLY (so far) for those PF1 models with the 64 V option. If you want patched firmware, double check when ordering a new machine that it has the 64 V option (whether you actually need that feature or not). It may cost a few percent more for this option.

Weber and I are debating how to upgrade the warnings that precede the download files, to try and minimise this misfortune in future.

This is normal. Nearly everything in the world, of all quality grades, is manufactured in mainland China. Voltronic Power have some 100 people in Taipai for Research and Development, but some 3200 people in China manufacturing the equipment.

Yes, all the new 5 kA models are capable of 5 kW now; these are so-called PF1 models (unity Power Factor). The older models were PF0.8. So the battery-side converters are no longer the bottleneck.

Voltronic seem to tweak the fan control logic frequently.

BUT the PV input connector is much smaller.

That's probably because it's designed for higher voltage panels, at less current. I wondered why you got a high voltage MPPT model to replace your 145 V clone. Was this supposed to be a direct replacement, only genuine? In that case, you've really had a bad run.

On 2019/02/26 at 4:27 PM, kobus joubert said:

But the Model Name is SOL-I-AX-5NB.

Is this another clone or what ?

I've seen the sticker; this is a genuine Voltronic Power inverter.

It irritates me how Voltronic Power encourage their resellers to make up model names.

As mentioned earlier, it's also a 450 V MPPT version.

35 minutes ago, Coulomb said:

I've seen the sticker; this is a genuine Voltronic Power inverter.

It irritates me how Voltronic Power encourage their resellers to make up model names.

As mentioned earlier, it's also a 450 V MPPT version.

Thanks Coulomb,

So if I had my 9 panels in 3 sets of 3 to be under the original 145V input, I can now with the 450V unit put all 9 panels in SERIES and bring it down from the roof with 1 cable and not 3 anymore.

2 minutes ago, kobus joubert said:

Thanks Coulomb,

So if I had my 9 panels in 3 sets of 3 to be under the original 145V input, I can now with the 450V unit put all 9 panels in SERIES and bring it down from the roof with 1 cable and not 3 anymore.

Yes, assuming you keep this model, and get it going. You could even add one more panel and just wire it in series anywhere.

High voltage MPPTS do simplify things on the roof. But there are safety considerations; these inverters don't do insulation monitoring.