New Infinisolar Super 4k Error 12

Frodo

Hi,

We installed a new Infinisolar Super 4k.

epIt was running fine for about a week, but then Today at around 13h tripped and reported Error 12.

Reset it, and it was runnng fine, although picked up PV input slowly.

Any ideas what could have caused it and possible solutions?

Manual says "leakage current":

image.png.79d3a6110c1e1b6b50369b2ca6ecc648.png

http://www.fullcirclesolar.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/FCS-InfiniSolar-Super-4KW-manual.pdf

It's related to the DC side - PV modules and wiring. Normally, this error shows up when you have one of the poles (negative or positive) of the solar array grounded. Infini is not galvanically isolated, thus there must be no grounding of negative, nor positive pole. Grounding negative pole of the solar array is someting what's done when amorphous panels are used. They need negative pole grounding in order to protect them from PID degradation.

Check the impedance of negative/positive pole of the solar array against earth. There might be a shunt or faulty solar module.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

All cabling checked twice, and the panel's frame earthing amended.   Also tested all panels and can't pick-up anything abnormal.

Still getting the Error 12 every now and then, sometimes it remains in Error 12 state for the rest of the day, sometimes it can be reset?

Any ideas would be appreciated?

Thanks!

On 2019/04/10 at 1:47 PM, Frodo said:

We tested with a multimeter.

I think that's not good enough for panels; there could be a leakage to frame anywhere in the 60-72 cells, and away from the terminals, you have a set of (light sensitive) diodes in series. The ~3 V of the multimeter would only forward bias half a dozen cells, so you won't "see" beyond nearest dozen.

I assume you at least tested in both directions (polarity of multimeter leads) for both ends of each panel.

On 2019/04/10 at 1:47 PM, Frodo said:

What can cause a leakage to the frame?

I have no idea of the cause; my panels are all ELV, so I don't even bother earthing the frames. I guess it has to be moisture ingress. Can you perhaps see any cracks in the glass, perhaps from hail?

Edited by Coulomb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Frodo, have you managed to solve your Code 12 error? I am having a  similar problem after 4 years.. my error 12 appears with strong sun around noon and about 75% load, after a few beeps (safe mode) it switches back to solar feeding load.  

• 2 months later...
On 2021/03/13 at 4:15 PM, Green Bum said:

Hi Frodo, have you managed to solve your Code 12 error? I am having a  similar problem after 4 years.. my error 12 appears with strong sun around noon and about 75% load, after a few beeps (safe mode) it switches back to solar feeding load.  

Hi any success? My experience is exactly as you described. Being going on for more than a year. Some days nothing. 

• 1 month later...

Hi sorry for the delay..... Yes I sorted the problem by cleaning the air vents at the top of my inverter using a vacuum cleaner... I also opened the inverter and used a blower to clean the inside.... Problem solved

Hope this helps!

• 2 years later...

Have anyone success in resolving the error 12? I have Infinisolar E 5.5 kw and facing same error 12 problem, the error Popup in the morning as Sun rises or in the evening when Sun goes down, rest is okay. Some times the error resets by its own and some times I have to reset it manually and setting the battery charging from utility. Please anyone could help. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Sajid878