Efergy Monitor

bobmabena

Does anyone know how accurate the Efergy energy monitoring product is?

I've been using one for a few months, but, after getting a bit of a shock elec bill from the municipality, I did some maths...

COCT says I used 925kWh vs the Efergy Engage platform's 761kWh

That's quite a difference... 

3 minutes ago, Vassen said:

The other issue with the efergy is that it does not measure power factor so also adds to inaccuracies

I agree, but not taking power factor into account should mean that the Efergy meter reads more than your actual consumption, not less. Which makes the discrepancy between the CoCT reading and the Efergy meter even worse.

As far as I remember, the Efergy monitor has a setting where you enter the Mains voltage. If this is set above/below the actual mains voltage, the calculated energy will be correspondingly above/below the metered value.

Also check whether the clip-on current sensor is properly attached. The two sensor surfaces must be lightly pressed together (i.e. no gap) and have no cracks, chips or dirt between them.

A third possibility is that the Effergy monitor may not accurately record very low-current loads (standby current of TVs, PSUs etc). This can easily add up over a couple of months.   

• 3 months later...

Hi guys

Where did you attach the efergy transmitter? To the main meter (which for me is outside my property and far away so not sure signal will reach) or can it be connected to the DB in the house?

If it can be connected to the DB where in this mess do I connect it?

Thanks!

IMG_20210316_215259a.jpg

20 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Hi guys

Where did you attach the efergy transmitter? To the main meter (which for me is outside my property and far away so not sure signal will reach) or can it be connected to the DB in the house?

If it can be connected to the DB where in this mess do I connect it?

Thanks!

IMG_20210316_215259a.jpg

That looks like 3 phase. How many CT clamps have you got? If only one you'll need to pick a phase to measure (the cables coming out the bottom of the main breaker at the bottom left).

Edited by Speedster

Thanks Speedster, yes 3 phase and I do have 3 clamps.

Thats where I thought they went but the part that confused me is that there is a second wire going in on the far left terminal. More clear in the below photo hopefully. Can I just ignore that second wire (white one) or should the clamp go around both?

IMG_20210317_114717.jpg

2 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Thanks Speedster, yes 3 phase and I do have 3 clamps.

Thats where I thought they went but the part that confused me is that there is a second wire going in on the far left terminal. More clear in the below photo hopefully. Can I just ignore that second wire (white one) or should the clamp go around both?

IMG_20210317_114717.jpg

I'm not sure how the efergy will read two cables running at the same time? Perhaps our more learned forumites can answer that. You could perhaps put it on the incoming cables - i.e. at the top of the main breaker?

Hi

I agree with all the members comments and I also use a unit in my home to as  wireless visual and alarm for my inverter output  in my home.

The one thing I do not see mentioned that I do not think power used from the municipality is measured or calculated  from the 1st of the month. The efergy only calculates from the 1st of the month and this means the calculations will not be accurate as well as all the other factors mentioned.

Edited by Peter Topp

• 4 months later...

Hi 

can anyone assist . I have failed to get a reading on my Efergy Elster Classic monitor . I have followed all the instruction . Has anyone had this problem . ?