Growatt SPF 5000TL HVM-P Just blew up

hoohloc

I must say I'm getting disappointed with Growatt brand. Out of the blue one of my inverters just blew up. I was in the garage offloading some stuff from the car when I heard a loud bang and both inverters switched off with Alarm on my Pylons. The problem seems to be on the battery/DC side of the inverter because when I disconnected the battery cables from a faulty inverter, the second inverter can switch ON and the red Alarm on the Pylons goes away. Both inverters are connected to the same battery bank of four Pylontech US2000B batteries which rules out the batteries as being the cause of the inverter failing. I'll be taking the inverter back to the supplier and hope they don't come up with stories 

Any Idea what might have caused this? 

On 2020/12/23 at 6:08 PM, YellowTapemeasure said:

Doesn't Growatt have any support line / contact that can assist?

Their support is terrible and in this case i need a new inverter because the damaged one was still under warranty. I was shocked to hear that the supply does not do the swap out. Instead, they only assist in getting Growatt to do the swap. They were happy to take my cash but now when there is a problem, I have to deal with the manufacturer. I wouldn't have an issue if I had bought directly from Growatt ☹️

• 3 weeks later...

Main board blown, but now they want to replace the board instead of supplying a new inverter ☹️

No information on why it blew or what may have caused the issue. So I just have to cross my fingers and hope the new board doesn't blow up too.

This is my biggest fear -> as the disruption is probably worth more than the few thousand saved .
is there any direct contact for growatt south africa (their website has been under construction for many months now)

On 2021/01/16 at 10:46 AM, ErwinK said:

This is my biggest fear -> as the disruption is probably worth more than the few thousand saved .
is there any direct contact for growatt south africa (their website has been under construction for many months now)

I don't think that there is Growatt SA, technical support is offered by the guys in china 

• 1 month later...

Late update, got the Main Board from China and had to do the swap out myself because the supplier was either too scared to do the job or they just didn't have a clue as to where to start. All is ok now and I have my two inverters up and running 

2f153ccf-e448-457c-839c-1db853e32c62.jpg

8c44215b-d965-4ddd-8871-c9fc06338f18.jpg

9ce41a3c-4972-4d1e-a9f4-dd5f0cda1fab.jpg

a5066832-f474-40e8-b9cd-18cf3f4fccfb.jpg

c3ee7179-2da2-4f92-b28c-7923c0570a06.jpg

New and old Main board.jpg

New main board.jpg

DC and AC wires separated.jpg

Neutral_Earth relay in action.jpg

Just now, hoohloc said:

Late update, got the Main Board from China and had to do the swap out myself because the supplier was either too scared to do the job or they just didn't have a clue as to where to start. All is ok now and I have my two inverters up and running 

2f153ccf-e448-457c-839c-1db853e32c62.jpg

8c44215b-d965-4ddd-8871-c9fc06338f18.jpg

9ce41a3c-4972-4d1e-a9f4-dd5f0cda1fab.jpg

a5066832-f474-40e8-b9cd-18cf3f4fccfb.jpg

c3ee7179-2da2-4f92-b28c-7923c0570a06.jpg

New and old Main board.jpg

New main board.jpg

DC and AC wires separated.jpg

Neutral_Earth relay in action.jpg

Even got to separate AC and DC wiring. Now Dc wires runs in a separate trunking but at one point they still cross. It is impossible to completely separate them. I have added more isolators so that if one inverters gets blown again, it can easily be isolated so that one that is still good can run the house. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting, I've now invested in a third Growatt, same model as yours. Since then the system is doing weird things. Perfect sunshine outside but one of the 3 inverters are always eating battery or even worse, eskom. I just wish I could ask someone that knows these inverters so I can understand. I tried the [email protected] email address 3 times now, no response. I can't believe there's only this one guy in china that services all the growatts in the world.

2 hours ago, HeinDuPlessis said:

Thanks for posting, I've now invested in a third Growatt, same model as yours. Since then the system is doing weird things. Perfect sunshine outside but one of the 3 inverters are always eating battery or even worse, eskom. I just wish I could ask someone that knows these inverters so I can understand. I tried the [email protected] email address 3 times now, no response. I can't believe there's only this one guy in china that services all the growatts in the world.

Contact Amos, he is the one who has helped me with queries so far and he responds to emails. [email protected] 

• 3 months later...
On 2021/03/28 at 2:40 PM, HeinDuPlessis said:

Thank you so much!

Hi Gents, I have a 2 weird issues with my Growatt inverters. Both are 5kw SPF.When I test them in standalone mode/ as a single device, the max charge current is 60A. But if I parallel them, my max charge current is 30A for each inverter. I should mention my lithium ion battery BMS is set to 60A per battery (I have 2). We recently upgraded the BMS & inverter firmware. 

My 2nd issue is I have 9kw solar panels but my maximum power is not more than 3kw per inverter for about 5minutes. If I test each string of solar panels before the inverter(s) I get 3kw per string. I probably should mention that I'm using a PV combination box before the inverters. Growatt initially said it was my angle, however they are about between 20 - 30 degrees. 

Can anyone please provide me with some thoughts, advice or help. 

I sent an email to Growatt who forwarded to Amos ([email protected]) but so far no response. 

The two inverters will draw current needed to charge your Lithium batteries and supply your load. I'm pretty sure that if you need 120A, you will get it. You have more than enough PV panels. Mine are set at 25A max charge current but I have seen 80A on one inverter at one point, so I don't worry about the max current that I see on the inverter settings anymore. BMS will request the current needed for your batteries to charge and you will still have enough to supply your other loads. 

Your second issue, it is also not an issue as such. In summer days you will be able to see a lot more than 6Kw.  Now in winter, production seems to be lower. In my case I'm down to 60% of my total installed PV power, which seems to be more or less the same as what you are getting. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2021/07/13 at 3:18 PM, hoohloc said:

The two inverters will draw current needed to charge your Lithium batteries and supply your load. I'm pretty sure that if you need 120A, you will get it. You have more than enough PV panels. Mine are set at 25A max charge current but I have seen 80A on one inverter at one point, so I don't worry about the max current that I see on the inverter settings anymore. BMS will request the current needed for your batteries to charge and you will still have enough to supply your other loads. 

Your second issue, it is also not an issue as such. In summer days you will be able to see a lot more than 6Kw.  Now in winter, production seems to be lower. In my case I'm down to 60% of my total installed PV power, which seems to be more or less the same as what you are getting. 

Hi Hoohloc, thank you. I really appreciate the help and information. 

Since then & leaving things to work, I have an error 09 (Bus soft start failed) on one of my inverters. Not sure what happened though Amos from Growatt is assisting with getting a replacement main board or MPPT board. Thankfully my system is still under warranty. 

I just hope the inverter did not cause any damage to my battery BMS. 

Has anyone ever tried to extend the warranty to 10 years on these inverters from SA? 

On 2021/10/27 at 1:14 AM, Nishantr said:

Hi Hoohloc, thank you. I really appreciate the help and information. 

Since then & leaving things to work, I have an error 09 (Bus soft start failed) on one of my inverters. Not sure what happened though Amos from Growatt is assisting with getting a replacement main board or MPPT board. Thankfully my system is still under warranty. 

I just hope the inverter did not cause any damage to my battery BMS. 

Has anyone ever tried to extend the warranty to 10 years on these inverters from SA? 

Glad your inverter is being sorted out. Good thing about Growatt support when it comes to warranty, they don't play games and cause unnecessary stress. As far as I know, the warranty is 5 years. Never heard of extension but 5 years is more than enough for the price we paid for the product. 😀