Hi All

I would like to thank everyone for making this Forum possible.

It has assisted me in understanding the dynamics of the evolving Solar world and highlighted the Do's and Don't s for me.

Also thanks for @leshen who made time to come out and see my possible install and quoted me for said install.

After all my research I have decided to go with the following:

SunSynk 8.8kw with WiFi Dongle (The 5.5kw would work but I do not want to be in a position were I would regret not spending the little extra now)

BLS 6.12kw Battery (Budget only allows for a single battery now with the plans to add the next one by year end)

12X Mono Panels (For now I will start on 12 then add every couple of months to this when possible to the ideal 18 I would need) No brand confirmed yet.

The other standard hardware.

Can someone please explain why people opt for ready built items like the PV Protection Box and Earth Neutral Bridge VS building this yourself of having the electrician do it?

It is cheaper to self assemble this from what I have worked out.

I read of a BLS 6.12KW and 6.4KW; is this the same battery or different?

I plan to run the AUX load for my non essential and feed it PV and Battery at different times.

On 2021/03/30 at 11:59 AM, Levan said:

Can someone please explain why people opt for ready built items like the PV Protection Box and Earth Neutral Bridge VS building this yourself of having the electrician do it?

It is cheaper to self assemble this from what I have worked out

Lack of knowledge.

I bought one of the pre-built earth Neutral boxes. Still in the box in my garaget. Plan on selling it to someone that needs IP65 rated housing.

Went to AcDc and bought the same relay etc just a different box and saved R1000. 00

11 hours ago, swazz99jhb said:

Lack of knowledge.

I bought one of the pre-built earth Neutral boxes. Still in the box in my garaget. Plan on selling it to someone that needs IP65 rated housing.

Went to AcDc and bought the same relay etc just a different box and saved R1000. 00

Guess so.

I am not a big fan of ACDC items but they do the job and I have a change over switch form them.

GLWS.

So an update to my original post.

I have learnt that space/roof space has a cost in addition to the mounting systems needed the limitations of the space you have in the direction you need can be challenging.

For this reason I have opted for the JA 540w panels.

Given the slight price difference I could use 8 of these to archive what 12/10 325-390w panels could.

Now the challenge about mounting and picking the right direction to use given my location.

Will try for some drone photos of the roof so that optimal locations are selected.

@Levan, for the pv combiner box, you will need 4 fuse holders ( or two double pole DC circuit breakers ), two double pole isolaters and two DC surge  protectors plus a box, so look at the total price and compare it to a ready made combiner box, usually the home made is cheaper.

7 minutes ago, Tariq said:

@Levan, for the pv combiner box, you will need 4 fuse holders ( or two double pole DC circuit breakers ), two double pole isolaters and two DC surge  protectors plus a box, so look at the total price and compare it to a ready made combiner box, usually the home made is cheaper.

Thanks for this.
What rating for the fuses?

This should cost +-R2000 depending on the box price.

11 minutes ago, Tariq said:

I see people like Suntree and another Z brand for this; any special reason why?