New Sunsynk Dongle Impressions

Sc00bs

Hi All 

I was lucky enough to get one of the new Sunsynk Dongles to test out. 

I am very impressed and it sorts out most of the criticisms of the older Solarman Dongles. 

Thought I would make a post of my impressions on the unit so far, is still in Beta as far as I am aware so I am sure that things will change.

Main  improvements/functionality I have seen so far:

- Much more up to date data being display in app and on the website. There is a setting in the app where you can set the refresh rate for the data from between every 60s to 600s

image.png.88e0c4cae0af9bbdfc43d7f59f44166d.png

- Ability to change the inverter settings from either the website or phone app.  Handy for when load shedding is announced and you want to chnage you system mode settings to make sure you have enough battery power in reserve. You are able to change any of the inverter settings from the menu's

- Ethernet port on the dongle for more connectivity options

Things that I think could perhaps be improved/changed/added.

- I think that the user interface does not seem to be that intuitive to me from the outset. I would like to see the settings menu's changed to something that more resembles the menu's on the inverter which most of us probably know pretty well already. 

- There is loads of information available, again but not all that intuitive as to how to access everything 

- Would be nice to be able to get data either from the Sunsynk servers or directly from the dongle into our home assistant's directly without having to go through the RS485 port. 

This is obviously all my own personal opinion and am interested to hear what other people who have seen it think of it. 

@Sc00bs, have you played around with the Aux Load settings, if I try to change any setting, I get a warning that by proceeding I may have an inverter failure.

I have asked Joel regarding the graph on the overview screen, suggesting we should be able to select whichever parameters ( as in the Solarman apps ) we want to look at, so that the graph does not look so cluttered.

Also, agree, info is not very intuitive, not sure why having the option to choose the refresh rate, i would like it to be real time, if possible, maybe it has to do with data usage

• 3 months later...

After 3 months of using the Sunsynk dongle I thought I should post an update on my impressions and a comparison between the 2 dongles

Sunsynk 

Advantages

- Can change inverter settings from the interface 

- More responsive to inverter changes on the Web interface - almost real time

- Has Wifi and Ethernet interface options.

Disadvantages

- Interface is way too busy and

Solarman 

Advantages

- Home Assistant is able to access the inverter data directly using a plug in. 

- Better Web User interface than Sunsynk IMO

- Cheaper

Disadvantages

- Web interface is slow, 10-15 min delay in updating info

- Wifi only interface

Not sure if it is possible to change the inverter settings using the Solarman interface by changing your profile to an installer profile. If so, I think that the advantage of being able to access the inverter data directly from Home Assistant outweighs the web interface update frequency benefit and would probably go with the Solarman Dongle.

@Sc00bs, seen guys on mybb being able to change settings on solarman business, do have to do some fiddling, though, yes, the only advantage of the Sunsynk dongle is the 60 second delay, and as i use wifi switches to control various geysers, pool pumps, the short updating cycle works for me 

So, things I would like to see from the Sunsynk Dongle:

-  plugin for Home Assistant to access the Sunsynk Dongle directly. 

- Multiple saved inverter settings to allow the user to switch between Load Shedding and Normal Usage settings at the click of a button

- An easier to understand UI, lots of data at the moment, just not intuitive

• 7 months later...
On 2021/11/08 at 10:53 AM, Sc00bs said:

Hi All 

I was lucky enough to get one of the new Sunsynk Dongles to test out. 

I am very impressed and it sorts out most of the criticisms of the older Solarman Dongles. 

Thought I would make a post of my impressions on the unit so far, is still in Beta as far as I am aware so I am sure that things will change.

Main  improvements/functionality I have seen so far:

- Much more up to date data being display in app and on the website. There is a setting in the app where you can set the refresh rate for the data from between every 60s to 600s

image.png.88e0c4cae0af9bbdfc43d7f59f44166d.png

-Where do I find this setting?

• 10 months later...