Replacement backup batteries advice

Vin

With the last week of load shedding my backup batteries at home are taking a beating. I have a double 7ah Forbatt gel battery backup system for my alarm panel that I had in place for 2.5 years. Last week was the first time it gave me battery low warning. I have Sherlo 6 amp power supply that I use as a backup for my wifi router and Fibre router. for this I put in a 18ah CSB AGm battery. It is two years old and the battery that used to last 4 hrs plus, now is only lasting an hour before the 10v low voltage cutoff is triggered. Any advice on good brand of battery available locally to use a backup batteries given the repeated load shedding? Would gel battery be better than normal lead acid battery for this purpose?

29 minutes ago, GreenFields said:

Personal opinion, with loadshedding being what it is these days, one should not be looking at lead-acid batteries, but lithium versions as drop-in replacements. That should allow deeper discharge and greater cycling life than any lead-acid battery. Not going to comment on the brands.

Thanks a lot. A lot of alarm panels, gate motors etc are designed to charge lead acid batteries and cannot charge a lithium battery effectively. I agree though lithium should be the way to go.

33 minutes ago, Vin said:

Thanks a lot. A lot of alarm panels, gate motors etc are designed to charge lead acid batteries and cannot charge a lithium battery effectively. I agree though lithium should be the way to go.

Please explain why they cannot charge lithium?

I replaced my alarm battery and 2 x centurion swing gates, that's 4 motors running off 2 batteries with the blue nova BN13V-8-104Wh's. This was before i had solar. The gates are running of the complex electricity and we have not had a single issue since installation a year ago. They just keep on working, have yet to see one running flat. They are cheaper than replacing with LA every 2 years or so.

3 hours ago, zsde said:

Blue Nova states clearly it's a drop in replacement for LA.
The charge rates are basically the same as for LA and it has a over and under voltage cut-out.
https://bluenova.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/BN13V-8-104Wh.pdf

AFAIK the only problem one might get is if the higher capacity lithium is discharged for more than a LS session (like power failed to come on) it might charge at a higher rate than what the normal charger was designed for. This could lead to a blown fuse as some power supplies have a 200mA fuse on the AC supply side. It might also lead to higher temps of the voltage regulator heat sink on transformer based PSU's.