First steps to going full solar?

Hi,

I'm seriously considering solar. My average consumption is about 800kW.h per month in winter and about 650kW.h in summer
I have:
Two electric geysers (a smaller one for the kitchen), both currently run on timers.
0.75Kw pool pump
Electric oven (stove is gas) which is used about once or twice a month, airfryer is used more often.
Security system (indoor + outdoor lights, electric fence and 8ch CCTV)
All the indoor lights are LED (mostly downlights, trying to find lower wattage bulbs)
All the outdoor lights are already solar.

I did an estimation of what I would need on thesunpays.co.za, this is what it came back with
 (A) Inverter: 1x 5kva 5kw 100A Sacolar Parallel 
 (B) Batteries: 4x 100AH LiFePO4 48V 
 (C) Solar Panels: 4x  480W 
 (D) MC4 Single Connector: 3 
 (E) MC4 Parallel Connector: 0 
 (F) MC4 Fuse: 0 
 (G) Solar Cable: 20m 
 (H) Battery Cable: 4m 
 (I) Panel Clips: 16
 (J) P2000 Rail: 12
 (K) Brackets: 8 Tile Roof
 (L) 125A Double Pole DC Circuit Breaker: 1
 (M) Fly lead Cat5e Grey 1m: 3 
 (N) Fly lead Cat5e Grey 1m: 1 
 (O) DC Copper Busbar set: 1 sets
 Total = R132 879 excl. installation

The only thing I'm unsure of is my day/night consumption. The best thing is probably to get my main geyser converted/upgraded to solar.

I also don't know if I should buy everything on my own or get a few companies to come out and quote.

You are a bit low on the number of panels - 1920w is not going to be able to charge that battery bank on low sun days / winter AND run the house. Rather save the geyser conversion to solar and use that money to add panels - your whole home will then benefit, incl the geysers

Edited by mzezman

4 minutes ago, Larry_fisherman said:

Any installer/supplier recommendations?

The only companies I came across with good reviews is The Green Way and Green Leaf. I'm based in Jhb.

@leshen on this forum is highly regarded. The powerforum-store can also suggest other installers in GP and they have decent pricing on items as well. Solar Advice is another one that people have used with good installers though their prices may be higher than others. Always worth getting 2 or 3 comparative quotes 

1 hour ago, Larry_fisherman said:

Hi,

I'm seriously considering solar. My average consumption is about 800kW.h per month in winter and about 650kW.h in summer
I have:
Two electric geysers (a smaller one for the kitchen), both currently run on timers.
0.75Kw pool pump
Electric oven (stove is gas) which is used about once or twice a month, airfryer is used more often.
All the indoor lights are LED (mostly downlights, trying to find lower wattage bulbs)

I did an estimation of what I would need on thesunpays.co.za, this is what it came back with

The only thing I'm unsure of is my day/night consumption. The best thing is probably to get my main geyser converted/upgraded to solar.

I also don't know if I should buy everything on my own or get a few companies to come out and quote.

My only comment would be when spending this kind of money on a system see if you can get to the increase in cost for a Kodak OGS5.6 or other with a 450V MPPT than the 145V in the Sacolar. It just gives more flexibility with the current range of higher voltage panels. The Sacolar you cannot connect 3S of higher voltage panels. R10th might look cheap but it can hamper you going forward.

Edited by Scorp007

Hi Steve

I have GROWATT SPF3000TL HVM-24V INVERTER and 2 x 200ah Gel Batteries that will not be connected to solar panels for now.

1. What else will be needed to connect from my Inverter and the batteries and main distribution box, Fuses,cables,disconnectors,circuit breakers?

4 hours ago, Larry_fisherman said:

Hi,

I have:
0.75Kw pool pump

As said by mzezman, you are light on panels (estimated average 10kWh generation per day), but I also think you could be overweight on batteries. With 4x100Ah batteries at 48V, you're looking at basically 20kWh of storage, when your total daily consumption ranges between around 22kWh in summer, and 27kWh in Winter. It could be more cost-effective to shift more consumption to the day, starting with the pool pump on a timer. Let's say you go for 3 batteries with 15kWh of storage, that should get you through 2 hrs of loadshedding, if not most of the night, and you can always plan such that you can expand easily later. After saving around R30,000 for a 5kWh battery, you could install an additional 3000W of panels to max out a 5kW inverter and have capacity to generate very close to your total daily demand, probably achieving it on most days. All still while being close to your original budget. Just a thought, my 2c, to be evaluated by an installer.

42 minutes ago, GreenFields said:

As said by mzezman, you are light on panels (estimated average 10kWh generation per day), but I also think you could be overweight on batteries. With 4x100Ah batteries at 48V, you're looking at basically 20kWh of storage, when your total daily consumption ranges between around 22kWh in summer, and 27kWh in Winter. It could be more cost-effective to shift more consumption to the day, starting with the pool pump on a timer. Let's say you go for 3 batteries with 15kWh of storage, that should get you through 2 hrs of loadshedding, if not most of the night, and you can always plan such that you can expand easily later. After saving around R30,000 for a 5kWh battery, you could install an additional 3000W of panels to max out a 5kW inverter and have capacity to generate very close to your total daily demand, probably achieving it on most days. All still while being close to your original budget. Just a thought, my 2c, to be evaluated by an installer.

If I added additional panels for power during the day and have enough additonal panels to charge up the batteries for the night, could I go completely off the grid?

4 hours ago, Scorp007 said:

My only comment would be when spending this kind of money on a system see if you can get to the increase in cost for a Kodak OGS5.6 or other with a 450V MPPT than the 145V in the Sacolar. It just gives more flexibility with the current range of higher voltage panels. The Sacolar you cannot connect 3S of higher voltage panels. R10th might look cheap but it can hamper you going forward.

Thanks for that. I received another quote which has the Deye 5KW Hybrid Inverter that costs nearly R23k. The Kodak seems like a good option. 

• 11 months later...