Sonoff D1 dimmer turns on by itself / ghost switching

Meranw38

Hi, I bought a D1 dimmer a couple of years ago, and from about 3 months in, it started switching on by itself. I tried updating the firmware several times and checked nothing was triggering the device. I’ve had to set up an automation to turn off the switch if it comes on - which makes having the smart switch completely pointless and useless

It even comes on by itself when disconnected from Wi-Fi, so can’t be something externally triggering it.

Should I just toss the device, or is there something I can do?

Hi 

D1 dimmer and ghosting is a very common problem this is the reason we say on our website we do not support them locally/ But I will gladly help you with a fix.

Firstly what happens is the D1 was designed overseas where they don’t have load sheading yet, they would plug in the dimmer and within the first 5 seconds it you push a button on the remote and all the functions are auto programed. The problem with that is every time there is load sheading it can do that for 16 remotes x 8 bottoms and sooner or later it will ghost.

If you take your remote close to the dimmer and press the bottom left hand side button and hold for 10 Seconds till it beeps. Than will delete all the frequency’s and the ghosting will stop and your remote will also stop working. Try that for a day or 2 see if stays of and just use the software.

The after that you can add your remote by cutting power to it and power it up push a button.

Then your remote working again.

If it starts Ghosting again will have to do a mode to a Wi-Fi dimmer only.

Do you have a inverter?

Let me know how it goes.

Aleks

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2023/04/13 at 3:41 PM, Kobus Broodryk said:

Good day,

I am also struggling with this issue. We have a constant power source therefore no interruption in supply. My dimmers are not not connected to remotes therefore only wifi.

I had the same issue. I followed the guide I found online to disable the RF and its working 100% now only on Wifi. Luckily I didn't need the RF, so all worked out. 

20 minutes ago, nicvon said:

I had the same issue. I followed the guide I found online to disable the RF and its working 100% now only on Wifi. Luckily I didn't need the RF, so all worked out. 

Why sell units that CAN work with RF and when they switch off then Sonoff will tell you to disable it. 

What about a refund on the difference in price between WiFi unit and Wifi with RF. 

Hi,  there is no price difference on the D1 and we definitely dont recommend the D1 in South Africa with out a inverter.

If it runs on a inverter and you clear the RF frequency and then add the remote the ghosting will not return till your battery runs flat.

Its caused by auto programming function the runs for the first 5 second during power up.

It would be great if Sonoff could add RF pairing button or put it in the software.

Aleks

I have the same issue. Bought 6x d1 dimmers and 6x rf controls for a client.  1 for each area. They require to use the app and the rf remote.  Worked great initially but now after a month the client complains the lights switch on and off randomly in the middle of the night during the day or whenever it pleases, i can confirm this myself having checked . The circuits are on backup on the essential side of the inverter and not once has the devices ever powered down as they all have a constant power source. This is a serious issue and we are actually going to pull the devices out now and replace with something else.  If i had know this issue beforehand  i certsinly wouldnt have touched the particular product. Certainly not something I expected from Sonoff. 

Hi Tracsec

I have had similar problems with many light switches. This problem for me I have found that the light switches in my house are in metal housings as it an old house.

I suspect the metal housing which is earthed is shielding the signal. 

Some of my problems were overcome by not screwing in the switches on tight. This I found helped in most cases. I did remove the switches and made sure the electronic connections were good. In the beginning, I sent 3 units back to the supplier and found out after they were tested it was found there was no problem with the switches. These light switches were Eachen switches that do not require a neutral. 

I know how annoying it can be as at one stage I had four lights that switched intermittently.

I cannot say this is your problem, but it might be worth a try.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having a similar situation where D1 is ghosting; the house is on back-up & inverter; happy to get the remote and take RF out of the equation, but do I need a remote for each individual dimmer unit? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

All we can recommend to try is clear all the frequencies of the D1 dimmer and just use the app for a few days and see if it stabilizes.

If it stops ghost for a day or two. You can add your remote back.

The D1 on an inverter should be a lot more stable.

We have stopped selling them on Sonoff Africa because of the load shedding and ghosting issues.

Every time it power cycles or reboots the D1 looks for a remote to auto program for the first 5 seconds and grabs other 433 frequencies which cause the ghosting.

You can use one remote for all dimmers to remove all stored frequencies.

Hope this helps.

Aleks