Trojan T105 - where to source

StephanT

• 2 months later...

I see you may need 8. I will do a forum special for you for R18 950.00 incl VAT for all 8.

Batteries are brand new off course.

Can you also supply a HydroLink Watering System for a set of 8 x T105-RE's and for a set of 3 x T875's. Please quote on both.

Hi what is the price of the hydrolink,got 8 105s? Using an auto cutoff battery jug atm.

Waiting on confirmation from my supplier on price and stock but they used to sell for R 2 550.00 incl VAT, for a 48v system.

That is a good price from Current Automation. You got the 10% discount?

T105's I can do for R1950.00 incl VAT - stock at supplier permitting 

T105RE's R2368.75 incl VAT - stock at supplier permitting 

These batteries are brand new, nor have they standing for months as unmovable stock.

Exchange rate took a dive, so I expect next batches are going to be more expensive.

@ superdiy what settings are you using for the 105s on the axpert?

Hi John

I don't have 105's or an Axpert. I did an installation for my dad where I've used T875s on a 24V Axpert.

Unfortunately the Axpert inverters are not the best type of "chargers" to use with Trojan batteries and not with small battery banks (200Ah-300Ah) either.

According to the Trojan datasheets the bulk charge setting for a 24V bank should be 29.6V and for a 48V bank it should be 59.2V. Unfortunately the 24V Axperts can only go up to 29.2V and the 48V Axperts can only go to 58.4V. You'll have to set setting 5 (Battery type) to USE (User-Defined) and setting 26 (Bulk charging voltage) on the Axpert to its highest possible value and setting 27 (Floating charging voltage) to 26.4V on the 24V Axperts and to 52.8V on the 48V Axperts according to the Trojan datasheets.

The ideal charge rate should be between 10% and 13% of the battery's 20-hour Ah capacity. For one bank of T105s, that should be between 10% of 225 => 22.5A and 13% of 225 => 29.25 - I would suggest to set it to 25A, but since the Axperts only have 20A or 30A options, I'll use 20A. Setting 2 (Max charging current) should be set to 20A or 70A :( for the 4KVA and 5KVA Axpert models. Setting 11 (Max Utility charge current) should then be set to 20A. Hopefully you don't have (a lot of) PV panels installed, because you cannot lower the solar charge current and the 60A (minimum) is extremely high for a 225Ah battery bank.

Aaaa, now I understand the reference to cheaper prices.

Since 1 July there was at least 1 price increase on all batteries from my supplier.

Got prices from  batterypitstop.co.za ... some are below my cost prices.  :wacko: 

UPDATE: They sell at dealer prices to everyone. Clever, very very clever.

You could use a separate charge controller, like these, that can be programmed to do what you need: http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/tristar/

Can adjust them as you wish.

Problem is that you cannot disable the charger on the Axpert, so the two "chargers" will compete. The other problem with having a separate charge controller is it might be trying to charge the batteries while the inverter draws power from the batteries at the same time which would also cause problems.

Not if you connect the panels to the external controller, and controller to the batteries.

But, you will lose some of the features of the Axpert. 

Way I figured way back then, if I spend monies on i.e. Trojan batteries, I would want to make very sure the SOC is accurate, that I have a hydrometer to check the cells individually and that I fill them up on a regular basis, with the equalizing done as prescribed. And if I go for AGM's one day the controller must just handle that also, ok ok ok, maybe adjust the DIP switches first.  :D

My opinion:

Personally I have never liked controllers included in inverters for they tend to have limitations, versus inverter / controller being separate. Then you have more room to maneuver as your needs adjust / you move to different types of batteries, more panels.

What also made me wonder about the Axpert / RCT inverters (they come from the same factory):

• Compare what a decent MPPT controller costs - I wonder what are installed in the Axpert / RCT ranges?
  • Measuring the real, or as close as you can, SOC of a battery is a complicated calculation.
    • You need a shunt to measure constantly what goes in / out of the batteries.
    • Calculating the SOC on battery voltages, with loads in and out of the battery all the time, is impossible.
  • I seem to understand that the Axpert inverters will always use Eskom to charge the batteries. You cannot make them only use solar only to charge  the batteries. Why this came up was that if you invest in solar panels, you need to get a ROI from them and using Eskom to charge batteries, is defeating that purpose.

What am I missing re. the above points?

I agree with you on the "integrated" charger. They are almost always somewhat limited. Almost more critically, I was looking at a local advertisement where someone was also selling an inverter, if I remember correctly it actually WAS the RCT/Axpert/MustUPS. Now almost more worrying than the wattage you can get through there is the max input voltage (aka open circuit voltage on the panels). I think it was something like 60V, the exact number doesn't really matter, point is that it was low. So a "24V" panel can easily open circuit at over 40V, so that means these integrated charge controllers (even the MPPT one) is limited to only a few string configurations. If you have large panels on there, you're going to have to put all of them in parallel.

On the other hand, having some form of communication between the two components is useful. Which is why I like the way Victron does it: separate interconnecting components. I just wish the extra interconnecting stuff didn't cost as much as it does...

Not if you connect the panels to the external controller, and controller to the batteries.

If the inverter is still connected to the utility, and operated as a UPS the utility power will still charge the batteries - the internal charger can not be disabled and it will compete with an external charger.

If you however use the Axpert as a stand-alone unit, NOT EVER CONNECTED TO THE GRID OR PV PANELS, you can use an external charge controller and use the Axpert as an inverter only.