Home Assistant integration comparison

Sc00bs

Put my latest video up, please let me know what you guys think.

Sound, editing etc is hopefully getting better with some practice.

@kellerza I have a video of installing your integration on my todo list 🙂 

Interested to do a comparison between Solar Assistant & Home Assistant at some stage but think I am a bit biased so looking for a Solar Assistant guru to assist if anyone is interested.

Edited by Sc00bs

On 2023/06/07 at 9:09 PM, mzezman said:

Would it be a comparison of the Kellerza integration and Solar Assistant in HA and what data / functionality they provide? 

Yea @Sc00bs it would be cool to see what Solar Assistant brings to the table in comparison with "native" integrations. 

On 2023/06/07 at 9:09 PM, mzezman said:

Would it be a comparison of the Kellerza integration and Solar Assistant in HA and what data / functionality they provide? 

The data is fresher with  @kellerza 's integration due to it connecting directly to the inverter rather than via the dongle - slower (Solarman) or via cloud - slowest  (Sunsynk)

I haven't done a speed comparison between the ESP32 & KellerZA integration and almost think it might become a pointless exercise as I don't think that  most people require a refresh rate of faster than every 15 seconds and you have to remember that the higher the refresh rate, the faster your database will increase in size.  

I am no expert on Solar Assistant but suspect that one of the main advantages may be the way it connects to the batteries and interfaces between incompatible battery BMS's and inverters. 

Have no idea regarding it's flexibility in interfacing with IOT devices etc. 

36 minutes ago, Sc00bs said:

The data is fresher with  @kellerza 's integration due to it connecting directly to the inverter rather than via the dongle - slower (Solarman) or via cloud - slowest  (Sunsynk)

I haven't done a speed comparison between the ESP32 & KellerZA integration and almost think it might become a pointless exercise as I don't think that  most people require a refresh rate of faster than every 15 seconds and you have to remember that the higher the refresh rate, the faster your database will increase in size.  

I am no expert on Solar Assistant but suspect that one of the main advantages may be the way it connects to the batteries and interfaces between incompatible battery BMS's and inverters. 

Have no idea regarding it's flexibility in interfacing with IOT devices etc. 

Am happy to help with the Solar Assistant info + even add you as a user to my plant and you can explore the functionality

Hi I just want to find out if there was a post or where can I start looking  of getting a Microcare inverter with their web logger or Volta batteries to communicate with Home Assistant or getting a ESP32 to communicate with these units. I will appreciate your feedback 

Hi @Preston 

Unfortunately I have no experience with the Microcare inverters and I am not sure what interfaces it has. 

I would start of there, if there is a Modbus interface you have a pretty good chance of being able to pull data from it. Either a ESP32/RS485 or USB-RS485 would be a good start and would speak to Microcare to see if they have a Modbus protocol document available. 

I suspect that you would be breaking some new ground though as I don't recall anyone else as having gone down that path as yet (could be wrong) although a lot of the manufacturers seem to have a pretty common way of communicating with their inverters.

1 hour ago, Preston said:

Hi I just want to find out if there was a post or where can I start looking  of getting a Microcare inverter with their web logger or Volta batteries to communicate with Home Assistant or getting a ESP32 to communicate with these units. I will appreciate your feedback 

This might help never installed a Microcare as of yet.

Screenshot_20230620_084320_Microsoft365(Office).thumb.jpg.b0c07b1cf68268673917632f632a8bd8.jpg

Edited by TaliaB

• 2 weeks later...