Savings

NoJ

22 minutes ago, NoJ said:

This is something people should be made aware of.  I have seen a 6KW multi purpose inverters for +/-R13K. It does the following:

• Supply the house with electricity from solar panels only
  • Can connect a generator
  • Can connect Eskom and when no sun it switches to Eskom
  • It is grid tied thus excess is feedback into the grid and one get refunded
  • It works of batteries only.
  • Both solar and Eskom can charge the batteries.

Can you perhaps share the details and possibly sales links of this inverter please?

1 minute ago, NoJ said:

There is no benefit in it as the cost at this moment is fixed @ R0.87 + R0.25.  If the talks actually becomes implemented and there is time of use then one can look at that because one should then get more @ peak hour than normal hours.

This is strictly a COCT thing. The 0.87 (does that get VAT added?) is the NERSA tariff. The 0.25 is an incentive that COCT have dispensation to add for two or three years. Just as they also have a temporary exemption on the net consumer requirement.

So nice for you, but cold comfort to those of us who live elsewhere. COJ, for example, will only pay the 0.87, and only that if you sign up for the reseller's tariff, and AFAIK they play the net consumption gain - which doesn't mean that you can't send back more than you consume (which is hard to control) but that you can only get refunded for as much you actually draw from the grid (minus a little bit).

The net consumer requirement is stipulated by NERSA, not by Eskom or municipalities. IMO it's a big impediment in the take up of sell back tariffs. COCT have found a way around that (though, it seems, not indefinitely) and if COJ do the same then maybe it starts making a bit more sense up here.

2 hours ago, Bobster. said:

I get confused when we start chucking around terms like "grid tied". Everybody seems to have a different idea of what this means. Now we also start talking about "full hybrids".

I know what I think of when I see the term "grid tied", but it may be helpful to understand what is being referred to here. Clearly COCT mean a specific thing when they say "grid tied".

Grid tied normally has "two modes" of inverters:

• One mode is connected to the suppliers grid and it only feeds back.  Its also referred to as a T systemm
  • The second mode is when there is no grid supply the inverter will supply the load and automatically disconnects from the grid until the power is back.

In the second mode the system can be fed from a small generator and the inverter will then supply either battery power or solar power with that of the generator where higher loads are required.

For normal loads the system will depending on the rating supply the load (house etc.) from either battery at night or during the day a combination of battery and solar where there is not enough solar power from the PV.

The inverter is therefore comfortable to work with the grid, batteries, solar, generators connected to the grid or as a complete stand alone system.

4 hours ago, Kalahari Meerkat said:

Also, last I read, I understood CoCT to say that they would not allow you to put more power into their grid than what you were using, thus getting payouts from them, like you seem to be getting was a no-no and it seems to be a bit more problematic getting connected for feedback to them, by now as well, it seems

NERSA (not any municipality) have a "net consumer" requirement in place. This means that, as you say, you can't get paid for more than you take out. COCT got a waiver from that clause, but the waiver is not indefinite. This was publicised a while back.

10 minutes ago, Bobster. said:

This is strictly a COCT thing. The 0.87 (does that get VAT added?) is the NERSA tariff. The 0.25 is an incentive that COCT have dispensation to add for two or three years. Just as they also have a temporary exemption on the net consumer requirement.

So nice for you, but cold comfort to those of us who live elsewhere. COJ, for example, will only pay the 0.87, and only that if you sign up for the reseller's tariff, and AFAIK they play the net consumption gain - which doesn't mean that you can't send back more than you consume (which is hard to control) but that you can only get refunded for as much you actually draw from the grid (minus a little bit).

The net consumer requirement is stipulated by NERSA, not by Eskom or municipalities. IMO it's a big impediment in the take up of sell back tariffs. COCT have found a way around that (though, it seems, not indefinitely) and if COJ do the same then maybe it starts making a bit more sense up here.

Always remember you can stop paying water and taxes and the solar will take care of it.  In my case my water was more that R1k per month I replaced it with a small RO plant then my taxes are R2470 per month.  With step tariff it also keeps your usage below the step.

The net impact of it is worth it..  The COCT started by paying the same as what they "pay Eskom"  So it was logical they did not loose on income as you will be solar in any case.  Then somebody showed the council that with time of use tariff they are ridiculously expensive as at night the buy electricity @ R0.391 per Kwh.  More like spinning reserve.

Then the person showed the council that by not providing a better "rate for night" use it is better to sponsor China to get batteries and the council introduced the .25 intensive and except for the luxury of no load shedding its not worth to have batteries.

If you do the same study for the COJ they might understand the diffs but we can not always expect politicians to understand the numbers except when it is self enrichment.  I think the politicians in COCT is a bit better understanding the numbers and the impact on the economy.  That is my believe.

2 minutes ago, Bobster. said:

NERSA (not any municipality) have a "net consumer" requirement in place. This means that, as you say, you can't get paid for more than you take out. COCT got a waiver from that clause, but the waiver is not indefinite. This was publicised a while back.

The difference is DA & ANC ..

The DA was prepared to go to the court and it will be a struggle to get it reverse and as Eskom is falling apart due to the theft by the ANC it is here to stay.

The dismantling of Eskom due to the dishonesty of the ANC etc, created a need and if there are other suppliers then why can we not be.

It will be interesting when the grid is removed from Eskom then the theory is I can sell to COJ and don't have to sell to COCT.

That is the R295 grid connection fee the COCT asks for.

The question is if one pays you councils account with electricity can they refuse to accept you method of payment.

Even then in my case my savings is more than R8K per month

That has to be tested in court. Unless there is not new laws then what will happen if you pay your account with X kw and they refuse to accept your payment.  The current law I am sure if they refuse to accept  your account payment in cents they refuse to accept your money.

That will be very interesting

9 minutes ago, NoJ said:

If you do the same study for the COJ they might understand the diffs but we can not always expect politicians to understand the numbers except when it is self enrichment.  I think the politicians in COCT is a bit better understanding the numbers and the impact on the economy.  That is my believe.

LOL. Well, I don't know about where you live, but up here nobody gets elected for their competence in electrical matters, water matters, transportation or anything else. That's the job of municipal staff. Our lot sit and discuss policy (when they all turn up at the same time, which isn't often) and pass budgets. They famously got caught napping by SAP who proposed a figure just to get the ball rolling and were happily surprised to find council all nodding their heads. 

So my guess would be that the mayor and his committee in Cape Town were smart enough to know what they didn't know and got in some people with actual expertise to advise them. 

COCT have the big advantage of in that they have no coalition and a stable government. Johannesburg has had NINE mayors since August 2016, all of them heading up coalitions that spend most of their time squabbling. So to actually get anything done is a big challenge right now.

Edited by Bobster.
Spellling

@NoJ, since you are not answering the questions posted by various posters, please answer the following...

1. In which suburb are you located?

2. You are on 3 phase, how much current per phase?

3. Previously asked by someone else, what inverter make and models are you using specifically?

Now I will add, most Cape Tonians do not have 3 phase and thus would not be able to shove the amount of energy into the local grid connection that you seem to be able to, if everyone in a specific suburb was trying to, the local line voltage would be 260+V where some equipment, not too happy anymore would start letting out the smoke... and most inverters would disconnect from the grid connection due to overvoltage conditions...

2 minutes ago, Bobster. said:

Johannesburg has had NINE mayors since August 2016, all of them heading up coalitions that spend most of their time squabbling. So to actually get anything done is a big challenge right now.

This means that nothing is ever the fault of whoever is currently in power. This leads to things like a DA led coalition regaining power last year and then blaming everything on the previous DA mayor. That coalition mostly are now in opposition and kicking up blue murder about the property revaluations, overlooking that the revaluing process actually was conducted on their watch.

4 minutes ago, Bobster. said:

LOL. Well, I don't know about where you live, but up here nobody gets elected for their competence in electrical matters, water matters, transportation or anything else. That's the job of municipal staff. Our lot sit and discuss policy (when they all turn up at the same time, which isn't often) and pass budgets. They famously got caught napping by SAP who proposed a figure just to get the ball rolling and were happily surprised to find council all nodding their heads. 

So my guess would be that the mayor and his committee in Cape Town were smart enough to know what they didn't know and got in some people with actual expertise to advise them. 

COCT have the big advantage of in that they have no coalition and a stable government. Johannesburg has had NINE mayors since August 2016, all of them heading up coalitions that spend most of their time squabbling. So to actually get anything done is a big challenge right now.

No doubt I am not a fan of politicians but with this they did a great job and needs to be complimented.  The do have more honesty and  ... than your crowed.

I am privileged to live in the most beautiful City of Cape Town.   I do think with our politicians outsmarting the ANC it makes a big difference

10 minutes ago, Kalahari Meerkat said:

@NoJ, since you are not answering the questions posted by various posters, please answer the following...

1. In which suburb are you located?

2. You are on 3 phase, how much current per phase?

3. Previously asked by someone else, what inverter make and models are you using specifically?

Now I will add, most Cape Tonians do not have 3 phase and thus would not be able to shove the amount of energy into the local grid connection that you seem to be able to, if everyone in a specific suburb was trying to, the local line voltage would be 260+V where some equipment, not too happy anymore would start letting out the smoke... and most inverters would disconnect from the grid connection due to overvoltage conditions...

Try then you apply for a 3 phase connection. The meter that gets installed by COCT is 3 phase in any case. 

And they are doing well to force people that way.

Lets say the inverter disconnects then you install thicker cabling.  a 100KW inverter does not have the means to lift the grids voltage you require about 100Mwatts to start lifting the grid voltage in a meaningful way.

Thus if your inverter trips it was installed by a person that does not have the ability to use ohms law.

In my case the supplier clearly stated to use 12mm cabling.  Pushing back about 5KW the input voltage at the inverter is about 2 volts higher than the measured voltage.

Soon I will have a proper installation with an inverter room and new cabling then I can share photo's etc.

For now its a mess and not a nice system to show

Edited by NoJ

27 minutes ago, Scorp007 said:

Now a twist in the tail from systems that are common. What about storing power in batteries and then discharging it at night via the grid tied inverter. It does not increase the daily export ability but excess PV during the day can be stored and exported at night. 

This is trivial to implement with Sunsynk/Deye inverters, but the economics must make sense.

My favourite high-level calcs, take a typical Lithium solar battery, just say R24K cost, into which you can cycle 5kWh of power down to 20% up to 6000 times. so that's 4kWh*6000=24000kWh over expected life of the battery. Effectively costing you R1 per kWh that you cycle. That's without the cost of the panels and inverter, or accounting for losses, that's just assuming you happen to have some surplus generating capacity that's otherwise sitting idle and you're thinking of using it to make money out of the system selling at peak times.

At a CoCT flat payout of R0.87+R0.25 you're lucky to make 10% profit back at least for now on selling battery power.

In the rest of the country you'd be losing money because you can't make back the cost of the battery.

With solar daytime export alone, you'd probably still be making money during the day, more so if you got your equipment at bargain basement throwaway prices.

Exception if you're in our beloved Nelson Mandela Bay, which uses the Time-of-Use tariff scale for debit and export credits as below. In this setup you'd still have to be a net consumer, but being able to export during the peak periods could be viable to bring the total bill down. As long as you can definitely, absolutely, avoid buying in electricity at R6.49/kWh in the heart of Winter peaktime. A pure grid-tie will not allow this, you'd have to go hybrid for it to make sense these days.

And the final part of this opinion, that exporting to the grid is great in theory, but there are pitfalls too especially depending on where you live.

image.thumb.png.483ab8e95ae61282e4874f4a21d0b9bd.png

55 minutes ago, Bobster. said:

Some googling (and some searching on this forum) leads me to conclude that what COCT really mean is "grid connected". But that doesn't seem right, as what I call "grid-tied" is connected to the grid (though on the customer's side, so maybe not) but can't send anything back. I am not the first person to wonder what excatly the City want, and why they use the term "grid-tied". 

They changed their rules last year. See https://businesstech.co.za/news/energy/718812/big-changes-for-inverters-and-solar-in-cape-town-next-month though there is no word of that being changed retrospectively so that you may already have registered but now find yourself illegal.

I would think just like SANS1042 that what was approved in the past stays legal. This was the case for years for houses that did not even had a E/L or RCD in modern speak. 

One only had to fit the above if plug circuits were added to or other extensions. 

@Bobster. the easiest way to understand CoCT is to look at the approved list of inverters. Only those that can export is contained in the list. Part of approval was to ensure they switch off when there is no grid. 

Due to the above is the reason that no off grid inverters are in the list. 

The only thing I can add is that a grid tied as I call it need not export but has the ability. For years we have read that grid tied is for export while it can be used for the whole DB self consumption. These give the best ROI. Because of this my hardware R23 000 system has saved=self used power of R40 000 in less than 5 yrs. This is why 80% of global PV systems are grid tied and not back up like in ZA. Production is up to about 300kWh per month and that includes the hrs with LS when there is no production from PV. 

This is then in line with the OP of this topic. 

33 minutes ago, NoJ said:

Try then you apply for a 3 phase connection. The meter that gets installed by COCT is 3 phase in any case. 

Thanks for not answering in which suburb you are, but the above statement of yours pretty much implies you are in some oldish suburb that still has overhead cabling, in Bellville, for the most part, everything is underground and single phase, good luck getting them to put in 3 phase and speaking regularly to a friend in Australia, I am quite aware about the line voltage issues with solar end user feed ins, if the whole area/infrastructure was designed with this in mind, maybe the line voltage does not rise as much, but in established neighbourhoods that have been about for 40 years or more, this may not be the case.

Heck if you raise the line voltage by 2 volts and if you had 10 neighbours doing the same feed in thing your line voltage would probably be more like 20-odd Volts up and if it started at 240V, you are starting to get to a level where things can and do go wrong. Don't think your are feeding into a countrywide grid, there are transformers all over the show and in suburbs there are substations with transformers, which feed a finite number of houses and are thus also rated for a finite amount of power transfer....

Edited by Kalahari Meerkat
spelling

50 minutes ago, GreenFields said:

This is trivial to implement with Sunsynk/Deye inverters, but the economics must make sense.

My favourite high-level calcs, take a typical Lithium solar battery, just say R24K cost, into which you can cycle 5kWh of power down to 20% up to 6000 times. so that's 4kWh*6000=24000kWh over expected life of the battery. Effectively costing you R1 per kWh that you cycle. That's without the cost of the panels and inverter, or accounting for losses, that's just assuming you happen to have some surplus generating capacity that's otherwise sitting idle and you're thinking of using it to make money out of the system selling at peak times.

At a CoCT flat payout of R0.87+R0.25 you're lucky to make 10% profit back at least for now on selling battery power.

In the rest of the country you'd be losing money because you can't make back the cost of the battery.

With solar daytime export alone, you'd probably still be making money during the day, more so if you got your equipment at bargain basement throwaway prices.

Exception if you're in our beloved Nelson Mandela Bay, which uses the Time-of-Use tariff scale for debit and export credits as below. In this setup you'd still have to be a net consumer, but being able to export during the peak periods could be viable to bring the total bill down. As long as you can definitely, absolutely, avoid buying in electricity at R6.49/kWh in the heart of Winter peaktime. A pure grid-tie will not allow this, you'd have to go hybrid for it to make sense these days.

And the final part of this opinion, that exporting to the grid is great in theory, but there are pitfalls too especially depending on where you live.

Thanks for a very informative post. We always wonder how things work in other areas. As we can see here Nelson Mandela Bay is like in another country. 

Let's hope one day we will all see such great credits for export. 

Just a comment on grid tied. Nothing prevents you from having both types of inverters instead of one full hybrid. During the after sun period one can discharge the back up unit. 

The above was how I designed my system. Then much later we got the very popular Sunsynk/Deye. 

It all comes down to how the system is implemented using different inverters. 

For all those with a Sunsynk/Deye adding a grid tied could be a good idea once export makes sense financially. But.... Nothing prevents one from having more inverters than the SS/Deye in order to export more than the above system can. This for guys that do have space. 

Just to add a figure to grid tied. A Solis 4G 3.6kW grid tied 2nd hand reliable inverter sells for around R6 000. Excluding panels as any inverter for saving needs panels. This inverter can export power worth R18 000 per year if one could get R2.80 per kWh. Calculated at a average of 5kWh/1kW PV. 

I have a 3.6KW solis that feeds back. It runs at max from about 10 till about 15H00.  Not exactly sure but it works hard.  Gr8 product.

I was not sure about everything when I started due to all the comments and the cost difference.  So I started small.  In fact I first bought a 2KW unit that packed up within a week and I could then only get this unit.

Once I saw the figures I got the two 5.  They also run at max from about 10 till about 15H00.  In this period we generate about 70Kwhr.  They are fully packed and we save more than R80K per year.

The new T style inverters are actually incredible and extremely "cheap" if you do not want to do name dropping.

They start for a 6KW at about R 13500.  Once you have one of them the old one will go.  Its worth while simply to chuck  it as they are obsolete. .  The software is so much better so is the load control's and ramping of voltage.

The new style IGBT devices has changed the world and the designs are very cost effective and have a greater efficiency.

Once my 7 K is up and running in full I will install a 10KW 3 phase T inverter. with a set of new panels.  Its all sponsored by ESKOM.

4 hours ago, GreenFields said:

To start I will never pay that amount for that battery.  How about paying R62 K for 30KW 10 000 cycles.

See we live in different worlds. It should be noted I do not buy expensive.  So do the calculations on  10 000 cycles 30KW for 62K and then it includes a 12V 3k5W battery.

Secondly my inverters 2 x 5 1 x 2k5 1 x 7 KW and 1 x 3K6  cost me R19500 something like that I can't remember the cost of the Solis.

Then if I do not have solar my account will be :

45Kw per day or 1426Kw per month then

580 x 2.6833 =  R1556
846 x  3.71     =  R 3137
T                          R4694

Thus to start I save R3500 x 6 =  R21 000 + R2203 x 6 = 13218 == R34K

If I then choose to have batteries I can save another R918 x 6 = R5510 for 6 months

Thus   the savings for 6 months is more than R40K.

That is the calculations you should be doing.

If one look at R31K for 15KW @ 10 000 cycles then in 5 years the batteries are paid and there is still another 15 years left.

That is based on figures from COCT SAP.  Not thumb suck.

Show me where I can get a return of R600K on and investment of R80K and then I do not have to lift a finger.

Forgive me but I am to lazy to expand.

So its easier to say don't do it but I am smiling and so are those who followed this method.

20 hours ago, NoJ said:

No doubt I am not a fan of politicians but with this they did a great job and needs to be complimented.  The do have more honesty and  ... than your crowed.

I must say that I there are things over which my ward councillor and I will differ, and she was not elected because she knows a lot about how substations or sewers work. But she does put in a big effort, and I wouldn't have her job for all the tea in China.

They have to put up with a lot (at least where I live). Our suburb is split across three wards. Recently a substation went pop in the suburb but a different ward. Councillor monitored the situation, and when City Power came to install a replacement she sent out a member of her ward committee. He was reporting to residents from the site.

THEN

I don't know exactly how things got out of hand but residents in the same street as the substation first started bossing around the City Power team, then threatened the ward committee member with physical violence. He then left for his own safety, reporting that that was it for updates from the site. Something else was said. No details, but it was so vicious that the councillor is now considering sueing for defamation.

So it's not a nice job nor an easy one. As I said, I have points of disagreement with the councillor that represents the ward I live in, but I will try to help where I can and I certainly don't share in the dishing out of abuse that I regularly see on various platforms (and which the councillors see as well, because they use those platforms to spread information).

Ok i need to ask Mr Coetzee from melkbos, what are you selling here?

Could you also keep your story stright...as now suddenly all this is achieved with 30 panels and some additional inverters popped up magically?

Saw a article on mybroadband from today with a very suspiciously similar values. Great for you, but as already pointed out...these savings and benefits don't apply to all of us.

image.png.7e4eb5a29e7d214ac67b524bd216a56b.png 

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

If I am wrong with one or two panels I could not care less.  Its not about the amount of panels or the cost or how fancy equipment or junk I have the impact remains as per the column on the savings with grid tied.  So I do not wright a thesis or tried to be politically correct.

The reality is the savings and the impact of grid tied and what it can mean for someone.

Hopefully someone can understand the impact that I have backed by figures from the COCT account.  Its the message and not the detail that's important

I am selling nothing but hopefully some people can see the actual savings could also be for them.

Thus far I manage to change quite a few mind sets and that's all I would like to achieve.

Grid tied means that with the incentive of COCT solar can remove the monthly cost of the COCT and return some cash back. 

With RO   COCT water acc  = R 0.0   this means my solar is paying 98% of my COCT account. So instead of paying COCT +/- R8K per month that is now about R500 per month average.

A saving of about R7500  per month.  This is +/-  the payment for a flat of +/- R750 000 or in some cases a bond payment or 1/2 of it what ever ......

Don't lecture me on different size of houses and stuff like that we will refer too as commonsense. Neither on best PV inverter rubbish like that for me its something to live on solar and RO sea water and then getting paid for that.  If you read the article you will see the COCT has paid out R28M. 

Simply put R28M the government  can not mismanage.

There are no arguments for the cost of the expensive AMI meter as cash back from COCT will cover it.  I believe the COCT should pass a law that all inverter should be stand alone and grid tied or only grid tied only not other stuff.

Cash back since 1 Oct 2023:

Oct     R 1406
Nov    R 1,335
Dec    R 2,053
Jan     R  2,203
Feb     R  1,944
Mrch   R    746
Apr     R      28
Tot     R  9,718 + V = R11,176

Just got  the inverters below from internet sales.  They are 2 x 7KW one was R 2000 the other R2300.  So another 32 panels will go up soon.

32 pv = R2K = R64K + R 5K = R69K (+/- 100KW per day or R100 pd) for the new stuff or it can be seen as it is getting paid by the cash back from COCT. 2 years and it is paid or for the bigger picture the impact is R7K + R3K = +/- R10K ... 7 months it is paid by cash back from COCT.

With the 12% increase its 1K per month extra.

Hopefully it can change the mind of some one and it can help some one or shall I quote a well known teacher..." it needs God and a bulldozer to change mans mind " ....

image.thumb.jpeg.e1f72ffbde6f7cbeb9e3a647bfd01d24.jpeg

Edited by NoJ

Posted (edited)
On 2024/02/28 at 3:53 PM, Kalahari Meerkat said:

Thanks for not answering in which suburb you are, but the above statement of yours pretty much implies you are in some oldish suburb that still has overhead cabling, in Bellville, for the most part, everything is underground and single phase, good luck getting them to put in 3 phase and speaking regularly to a friend in Australia, I am quite aware about the line voltage issues with solar end user feed ins, if the whole area/infrastructure was designed with this in mind, maybe the line voltage does not rise as much, but in established neighbourhoods that have been about for 40 years or more, this may not be the case.

Heck if you raise the line voltage by 2 volts and if you had 10 neighbours doing the same feed in thing your line voltage would probably be more like 20-odd Volts up and if it started at 240V, you are starting to get to a level where things can and do go wrong. Don't think your are feeding into a countrywide grid, there are transformers all over the show and in suburbs there are substations with transformers, which feed a finite number of houses and are thus also rated for a finite amount of power transfer....

Melkbos.  The 2 Volts is measured at the O/P of the inverter and it changes depending on the grid voltage/solar in order to compensate for line loss.  I have to replace my feeder cable as I push back about 30amps on 2 phases when running 100%. Soon it will be 30A on 2 and 60 on one @ 100%. I need to install a new feeder system but only when I can do my building changes. I have about 50meter of cable to the COCT POC and 30M to the closest 11KV transformer.  That should clarify it for you. With my new stuff I will have a 3 phase monitoring at the entrance to our property plus full monitoring of each inverter (I now have 6    7 + 7 + 5 + 5 + 3 + 2) and more to come.

Edited by NoJ