Generator Not charging Batteries

Mercadian

Today I visited a site where a previous installer had worked. This customer has a 16Kw Deye and has a 5.5Kw generator as a supplement when there isn’t enough solar. 

The way the previous installer got around this issue described above was by setting the Gen port as a Microinverter input. 
I’m not saying this is the correct way to do it, but it works for this customer. The generator runs happily without dipping at all. I do notice that you cannot adjust how much power is drawn from the generator, but it sits at 3Kw for hours without any problems. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, just an update we have obtained a 9KVA Kipor KDE12STA Diesel generator and had the electrician connect it to the gen port and it now charges the batteries when the grid is disconnected.

However is it possible to get the generator to charge the batteries while the grid is connected? 

We are currently trying to source a auto start for the generator to start it if the solar stops producing and batteries are below 100%, this would also depend on the time of day, as an example between 5PM and 8PM gen can run to charge batteries, but after 8PM it must not do anything unless the battery gets to a critical level of 15% and there is no solar production  

Does anyone have any experience with auto starts on these generators? Is it possible to do a diy solution using a sonoff device maybe?

14 hours ago, Mercadian said:

We are currently trying to source a auto start for the generator to start it if the solar stops

I have used DSE controllers with great success you can shop around for these untis but i know Bundu Power stock some of the DSE(Deep Sea) models.

https://www.deepseaelectronics.com/genset/manual-auto-start-control-modules

Edited by TaliaB

Hello.

I encountered a problem when connecting the generator to my DEYE 8kW inverter single phase. The frequency of the generator was 53 HZ. I connect the generator of 8000 W single phase, and after few seconds i heard something pops inside the inverter, the inverter still operating correctly, i didn't saw the generator icon on the screen, the SOC of the battery show 0% but the voltage is 53V. I shut down the inverter and after restart the SOC shows 100% and everything is correct.

I would like to know if the inverter got damaged or partially after this pop. it's safe to use again the GEN port.? I am afraid to connect again the generator,
Thank you in advance.

15 hours ago, ELIAS E said:

The frequency of the generator was 53 Hz.

The generator needed to synchronise to the 50 Hz of the grid first. It may or may not have this capability. You can't just connect two AC sources together, unless they are carefully designed for this.

It's possible that the generator is damaged as well.

There is a fuse or breaker inside the inverters at the AC-in port. It might just be that this tripped and nothing else, if you were very lucky.