Large Aircon vs Multi Zone Aircon - Which is Better on Solar?

AlexanderR

Hi

We want to plan the aircons and the solar together. We live in a hot climate near Kruger. It's nearly 30 deg and sunny on most winter days, summer is hotter.

House Layout

So we have a house layout that looks like the attached image.

• Small Squares 16m2
  • Large Left Squares 36m2
  • Main Rectangle: 65m2 (lots of glass as well)

Aircon Usage Times

• Bedrooms we'd run at night. (smaller squares on right and larger squares on left)
  • Living Area - only run during the day (large rectangle in middle)

A Few Quick Questions

1. Would you recommend 1 aircon per room?
  2. Or would you recommend a multi zone system? https://acdirect.co.za/product-category/air-conditioner-multi-split/three-zone/

What is the best setup for solar? 

Home Layout.jpg

Have you looked at indirect evaporative cooling?   They don’t add humidity, use low amount of energy and you could do a unit that has its splitter in roof space and octopus legs to pump fresh cooler air via bedroom ceilings.     If I could redo my house I would go that route as I really hate sleeping with aircon and evaporative air is new fresh clean cooler air.

5 minutes ago, macafrican said:

Have you looked at indirect evaporative cooling?   They don’t add humidity, use low amount of energy and you could do a unit that has its splitter in roof space and octopus legs to pump fresh cooler air via bedroom ceilings.     If I could redo my house I would go that route as I really hate sleeping with aircon and evaporative air is new fresh clean cooler air.

Thanks! Do you have any links to any energy efficient ones to consider?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AlexanderR said:

Hi

We want to plan the aircons and the solar together. We live in a hot climate near Kruger. It's nearly 30 deg and sunny on most winter days, summer is hotter.

House Layout

So we have a house layout that looks like the attached image.

• Small Squares 16m2
  • Large Left Squares 36m2
  • Main Rectangle: 65m2 (lots of glass as well)

Aircon Usage Times

• Bedrooms we'd run at night. (smaller squares on right and larger squares on left)
  • Living Area - only run during the day (large rectangle in middle)

A Few Quick Questions

1. Would you recommend 1 aircon per room?
  2. Or would you recommend a multi zone system? https://acdirect.co.za/product-category/air-conditioner-multi-split/three-zone/

What is the best setup for solar? 

Home Layout.jpg

I would go with single room mini split, last time I checked it was the cheaper option and you can run shorter pipe lengths between inside and outside units giving better efficiency. I have both the Samsung inverter and LG Dual Inverters mini splits, I much prefer the LG Dual inverter one, it also has a mode where it limits the power it consumes, useful if running off batteries or you are getting close to your inverter limits. The LG ones are not always available however. 

One more thing, if you stay at 18000 BTU or less, you can plug the unit into a wall socket, so no dedicated electrical line to DB required, that makes the installation cheaper as well.

Strong like bull:
https://acdirect.co.za/product/lg-dual-inverter-wall-split-9000-btu-hr-inverter-air-conditioner/

Edited by HendrikBigChief

When considering solar power efficiency, multi-zone air conditioning systems generally have the edge over large single-unit systems. Multi-zone setups allow for more precise temperature control, letting you cool only the areas that need it, thus reducing overall energy consumption. This efficiency aligns well with solar power, maximizing the utilization of renewable energy.

On 2024/05/27 at 9:56 AM, AlexanderR said:

Thanks! Do you have any links to any energy efficient ones to consider?

Mine are factory-size but try Breezair, pretty sure they have a residential size indirect evaporative cooling system

• 2 weeks later...