Keith’s Solar project

I started research into solar 2 years ago. Choose to go with a Fronius Primo 4.1. Great that it has 2 mppt and 1000 V DC. Commissioned 1 Jan 2018. Have 15 renewsys 315 Wp on MPPT1.

just added a Victron Multi, ccgx and li-ion batteries to the system so that i can more fully utilize excess solar.

img_4176.jpg

img_4177.jpg

img_4178.jpg

Early days but rather disappointing that the bms is not compatible with the victron although both are CAN. I got them half price so that should have been a warning signal. The Solar Warehouse, say no more?! Problem if you on pension and finances don’t stretch to pylon or b box...

battled to get information as they were sold as Li-ion Tech battery lit 48120B but they actually ESM 48100A1 from Huawei. So i could get more information. But that don’t help, they don’t even communicate on their own bus to each other.

i am using the multi built in bms, when finances are settled i might add a bmv 702. Or try using the digital outputs on the battery into the 2 contact assistant bms in the ess.

• 3 weeks later...

I re did all the ess voltage settings to match the Huawei manual. Now I have it working very well and my calculation of Wh out of the battery and change in soc match. So far so good, don’t need the CAN bus to work the multi and CCGX is doing it well enough.

12 hours ago, Keith said:

made a rack for the batteries and mounted then horizontal as they should be

I have been wondering about the orientation of these modern lithium batteries. Is there a right side up? Looking at videos of them testing and charging these kinds of “rack-able lithium” batteries, they all stand vertical. If fact many installs I see, the batteries are “standing up” as you had them in your first picture. 

Is there any reason why they cannot stay that way?

I did not think there would be any difference. But if Huawei say don’t stand them up, then best to put them in a rack. I made one out of 40 mm angle, took one length of 6 m an cost me R96 so why not.... 

when they stood on the floor if the discharge was in the order of 45 A each it sounded like lots of relays chattering away. I’ll see if it does the same in the rack when I catch it up at 90 A. It may just be that the relays have an up side?

19 hours ago, Keith said:

if Huawei say don’t stand them up, then best to put them in a rack

I totally agree. If those are the recommendations, rather do it. 

I was querying this because I have seen a few installs with lithium batteries standing upright.

19 hours ago, Keith said:

one length of 6 m an cost me R96

A small price to pay, and looks decent too

I would also think that airflow is vital, and with heat rising, the most surface area would be on top when they stand horizontally.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019/07/04 at 4:58 PM, Keith said:

I did not think there would be any difference. But if Huawei say don’t stand them up, then best to put them in a rack. I made one out of 40 mm angle, took one length of 6 m an cost me R96 so why not.... 

when they stood on the floor if the discharge was in the order of 45 A each it sounded like lots of relays chattering away. I’ll see if it does the same in the rack when I catch it up at 90 A. It may just be that the relays have an up side?

When the batteries are running high amps the relays still chatter away. I would think it is some sort of dynamic cell balancing. Now added inverter limit on the multi to have a controlled maximum discharge rate. Battery and battery voltage is much happier, plus one should get closer to specification out of it.

• 6 months later...
On 2019/06/13 at 3:13 PM, Keith said:

I started research into solar 2 years ago. Choose to go with a Fronius Primo 4.1. Great that it has 2 mppt and 1000 V DC. Commissioned 1 Jan 2018. Have 15 renewsys 315 Wp on MPPT1.

just added a Victron Multi, ccgx and li-ion batteries to the system so that i can more fully utilize excess solar.

img_4176.jpg

img_4177.jpg

img_4178.jpg

Phase 3 now completed. I have moved all DC into a db of its own. DB for AC change over and fronius input. Add a 250/70 smartSolar charge controller with 8 x 370 Wp artsolar panels. Added a smart switch to prevent the fronius tripping the system when the grid fails.

phase 4 will be to add 2 more batteries that i bought in July 2019 and still waiting for a certain Mr Jacco Jackson to deliver.

now i have:

15x310 Wp in series on a fronius 4 kW grid tie connected via an acdc smart switch to AC1 out of a multiplus 5kW.

8x370Wp on a smartsolar 250/70 (2banks of 4)

2x EMS 48100A1 li-ion batteries.

Eskom must do what they like...

739E8756-249D-43A9-9575-A52274FC9826.jpeg

A2C12F36-DEF4-4431-9D5E-B9CA4A601992.jpeg

4B75371D-F499-4A08-BC88-920A921C5E39.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Hey Keith, interesting posts - you have made good progress and I'm sure you're enjoying your energy independence!

My lead acid batteries are failing, I'm considering the "LCB" li-ion batteries being promoted on sites like Solar Wholesaler, Solar-Boks, Solar Energy Zone etc. The price makes them very attractive (R15k for 6kWh). The spec sheet refers to them as "LiT48120-BT" which appear to be the same (or similar) to the ones you have installed. 

Your system has been running a few years now, have you experienced any failures with these batteries? Would you recommend them to a friend?

Cheers
Lance

• 3 weeks later...