New RCT Axpert VMIII / Dyness B4850 communication error (fault code 61)

Len225

Question

Hi, I’m new to the forum and hope someone could please assist. Have purchased a new RCT VM3 5kva with 2x Dyness B4850 batteries to replace my previous Axpert 5kva/ Lead Acid setup. Have connected up the above 100% by the book but now getting fault code 61 (communication failure) between the inverter and batteries. I’m using a custom Comms cable (made up for Axpert King by the Dyness supplier) via RS485 Port.  I have two of these cables and have tried the second comms cable also but the problem continues.

The battery PIP settings are as per Dyness manual for Voltronic inverter (pin 3 on on master, all pins off on slave)  but have also experimented around this without success. The inverter setting 05 has also been set to ‘Pyl’on. 

Would appreciate any advice! 

thanks 

Hi,

As far as I know, Dyness is pretty much the same as Pylontech as they split off from Pylontech.

Can you maybe post a picture of the ports you are using on the batteries? Error 61 is basically communication error, just set 05 back to USE for now.

What settings did the dealer suggest for 02, 12, 13, 26, 27 and 29? These will just be setup manually without the communication cable. When the communication cable are sorted out, those settings will happen automatically.

Hi guys 

just wanted to close the loop on this issue  - the final conclusion after many hours of troubleshooting is somewhat inconclusive but it seems that the Axpert VM3 is not protocol / communication compatible with the Dyness B4850 battery (yet) - Dyness have taken note and will no doubt be looking into this in due course. Dyness confirmed that the Axpert King and Synapse version of the same have been Specifically tested and are compatible. 

I must pay a big complement to both Nico and Anton at Solar Panel Energy in Vanderbijlpark (where I bought my Dyness batteries) who, since opening after the holidays have spared no trouble in trying to assist with this query. This week Dyness themselves also got involved and were very helpful with a ‘no trouble is too much attitude’ - will happily support both these businesses in future.

Bottom line - I have now ordered a Growatt inverter to replace the VM3 and the latter is for sale if anyone is interested  - (apart from the specific comms issue with Dyness it seems a pretty decent piece of kit for the money 😊)

Thanks to all who took the time to give advice and input! 

2 hours ago, Len225 said:

Hi, I’m new to the forum and hope someone could please assist. Have purchased a new RCT VM3 5kva with 2x Dyness B4850 batteries... The inverter setting 05 has also been set to ‘Pyl’on. 

Are the Dyness batteries supposed to be communications protocol compatible with the PylonTechs? I'd be surprised if they were. Axpert Kings will only talk to PylonTechs, or a battery that has the exact same protocol. [ Edit: And I'd expect Axpert VM IIIs to be the same in that respect. ]

Edited by Coulomb

Hi Coulom

I have no idea whether they are protocol comparable with Pylon (pretty new to all of this and not finding much info online) although both the dealer who ultimately sold the Dyness batteries to me as well as another dealer with whom I originally enquired about them some time ago, indicated that they work fine with the VM3 / King.. I should be making this the dealer’s problem, but they are closed till 8 Jan and we already had another 2 hour power outage last night so would really like to get this up and running soonest if possible..   Appreciate  your response

(Can also just add that the Dyness user manual makes mention of being comparable with Voltronic inverters and even indicates the PIP setting for Voltronic..)

Edited by Len225
Addition

Hi Coulomb / Wilfred

The Dyness manual doesn’t specify inverter settings - it lists the Various inverter brands it is compatible with (Voltronic being one) and then indicates ‘for the following inverter brands the battery DIP setting should be X and for these other brands Y’ etc

The dealer who sold the batteries indicated that I must set the inverter to PYL. I’ve tried setting it to USE and using the following settings (as suggested elsewhere on the forum)

02 = 20A

12 = 48V

13 = 51V

26 = 53.2V 

27 = 53.2V and

29 = 47V 

when using the above everything seemed to work fine for about two hours but then both batteries’ alarm lights came on (both master and slave) which seemed to suggest that they were being over- charged?  (The inverter panel indicated that the batteries were only 50% charged but the batteries showed full charge). As it stands I’ve disconnected the batteries and the inverter is just bypassing utility power until I can resolve this 

Try and contact the Chinese on their website, they are really helpful, give them your inverter model. They should come back to you within a day or two with the correct settings.

If you want to try it and play it safe, bring setting 13 down with 1V. As well as settings 26 and 27. With setting 29 at 47V you would rather get a low voltage warning, you could bring that down with 1V too. The BMS on the battery should protect it very well. Setting 02 seems fine it is not close to what the Pylontech’s are and should be low enough not to over charge as well.
I would do that until you get some feedback from them, I have checked the data sheet on those batteries quickly and they seem to be exactly the same as the Pylontech’s.

@Coulomb the recommended C rate is 0.5C and continuous C rate is 1C, I still need to learn what this mean :)

http://dyness.net/download/Dyness Portfolio.pdf

4 hours ago, Wilfred said:

Try and contact the Chinese on their website, they are really helpful, give them your inverter model. They should come back to you within a day or two with the correct settings.

If you want to try it and play it safe, bring setting 13 down with 1V. As well as settings 26 and 27. With setting 29 at 47V you would rather get a low voltage warning, you could bring that down with 1V too. The BMS on the battery should protect it very well. Setting 02 seems fine it is not close to what the Pylontech’s are and should be low enough not to over charge as well.
I would do that until you get some feedback from them, I have checked the data sheet on those batteries quickly and they seem to be exactly the same as the Pylontech’s.

@Coulomb the recommended C rate is 0.5C and continuous C rate is 1C, I still need to learn what this mean :)

http://dyness.net/download/Dyness Portfolio.pdf

Hi Wilfred 

Have changed those settings as suggested but still have the batteries going into alarm/protection mode. Have now contacted Dyness via their website as suggested and will update if/when I receive their feedback.

Thanks for the advice! 

1 hour ago, DaveSA said:

On Pylons these should all be OFF, and only come into play when you have a second or more banks of batteries.

Thanks DaveSA

I’ve given it a try but no joy - the Dyness manual is also quite adamant that the DIP be set as per the manual even if only a single battery is used (Pin 3 on master/single for Voltronic inverters). 

Appreciate all the input -This issue has become very annoying and as per my above post I’ve now reached out to Dyness directly so let’s see what they say.. 

Thanks again

12 hours ago, Wilfred said:

If you want to try it and play it safe, bring setting 13 down with 1V. As well as settings 26 and 27.

I would leave setting 13 alone. But certainly try reducing settings 26 and 27. The PylonTech recommended voltage of 53.2 V is 3.55 VPC, that's insanely high. Axperts will routinely overshoot the target voltage by up to one volt for tens of seconds, which will not do the battery any good. I also can't understand the recommendation to have setting 27 no lower than setting 26; it's just begging for over-charging.

With setting 29 at 47V you would rather get a low voltage warning, you could bring that down with 1V too.

Remember that when setting 12 is less than 2.0 V above setting 49, then setting 49 plus 2.0 V is used instead of setting 12 for the actual back to grid threshold. You will also get low battery warnings 2.0 V above setting 29. So I'd keep it at least 2.5 V less than setting 12, so you go to bypass mode before the battery low warning. The battery warning won't go away until the battery voltage rises to 4.0 V above setting 29, so with the setting at 27 V, the low battery warning won't go away until 51 V (3.4 VPC, nearly fully charged). If you use the LFP flavour of the patched firmware, these giant 2.0 V and 4.0 V differences become a more LFP friendly 0.5 V and 1.0 V.

Coulomb, the recommended C rate is 0.5C and continuous C rate is 1C, I still need to learn what this mean :)

It just means that the recommend charging and discharging at 50 A (0.5 x 100), but it won't blow up or disconnect the loads with 100 A charge or discharge (1 x 100). For the models with 74 Ah capacity, C is 74, not 100. C really means the battery capacity (in Ah) divided by 1h, i.e. the numeric value of the capacity of the battery, but as a current in Amps, not capacity in Amp·hours.

Edited by Coulomb

Thanks Coulomb

So I’m reading that those settings should change to 

26 = 52.2V (or perhaps lower still?)

27 = 52.2V (or lower than 26?)

29 = 45.5V  (= 2.5V below setting 12)

All else to stay as is. 

Happy to try this if I’ve got it right?

Thanks 

Edited by Len225
Mistake
18 hours ago, Coulomb said:

Yes, or even 51.5 V. You could try that as a good start.

Thanks, have tried these new settings (27 now at 51.5V) but the batteries still go into protection mode as soon as they show fully charged. Have switched off utility power and allowed the batteries to drain for 2min at which point they exit protection mode/ alarm lights go out again. So looks like they are still being overcharged forcing the BMS to kick in?

I can only conclude that these batteries need the RS485 communication to function? 

4 hours ago, Len225 said:

Thanks, have tried these new settings (27 now at 51.5V) but the batteries still go into protection mode as soon as they show fully charged.

It might be that they need some time to balance. Perhaps reduce setting 26 to 52.0 V temporarily, and see if you can increase it slowly after a week or two.

4 hours ago, Len225 said:

I can only conclude that these batteries need the RS485 communication to function? 

You'll need the latest firmware for this, I believe. The VM III equivalent of the King's 71.86. I have no idea how available that is, or if they've even written it yet.

17 minutes ago, Coulomb said:

It might be that they need some time to balance. Perhaps reduce setting 26 to 52.0 V temporarily, and see if you can increase it slowly after a week or two.

You'll need the latest firmware for this, I believe. The VM III equivalent of the King's 71.86. I have no idea how available that is, or if they've even written it yet.

Thanks again 

My inverter’s date of manufacture is 09/2019 so I’ll be pretty disappointed if it cannot function reliably without a further firmware update? If that be the case it’s going back to the supplier!

Noticed something interesting in the Dyness battery manual - it notes that the battery can communicate via CAN or RS485 but that the factory default is CAN. The Axpert only communicates via RS485 - does this imply that one should / could adjust the battery from CAN to RS485? I assumed that this would be automatic and cannot see any obvious way such an adjustment can be made? (On the Dyness both CAN / RS485 share the same comms port). 

10 minutes ago, Len225 said:

The Axpert only communicates via RS485 - does this imply that one should / could adjust the battery from CAN to RS485?

I'd say so. It's possible that it somehow auto adjusts, but then in what sense is CAN the default?

See what the push button does.

On 2019/12/27 at 8:21 PM, Len225 said:

This issue has become very annoying and as per my above post I’ve now reached out to Dyness directly so let’s see what they say.

Hopefully they come back to you with the correct pin settings on the communication cable as well as the dip switch settings, no idea why the 3rd one should be set a certain way for a certain inverter, usually the 1st one is to slow down the bit rate.

Thanks guys - no response from Dyness yet but will be sure to update if/when I do get this sorted out! 

Apologies Coulomb - I see my last response to you went Awol - but that red push button is only the sleep/wake switch. 

Wilfred, I will try to attach a copy of the page in the Dyness manual dealing with the pin setting.. 

cheers 

Hi Wilfred 

I’m attaching the cable pins - I found the Axpert pin positions on a Pylontech summary which I also attach. 

Ive put my cable on a cable tester and it shows that Inverter PIN 1 runs to battery PIN 5 - all else is standard ie 2=2 , 3=3 etc - To me this seems correct for 485 communication? 

thanks 

36D9CBC2-00D7-43CD-BF75-3F09FC560FC2.jpeg

AF5EE7A7-0BC0-4BFF-8FD2-8620DEAA241A.jpeg

1674C502-E2B7-45DA-888D-07596EB26074.png

This post has totally gone haywire on my tablet, no more in date order, seems like you have sorted out your problem by replacing your inverter, sorry for my late reply, broke my leg a couple weeks ago and was out of the loop for a while.