Generator or Inverter for residential use?

saflyfish

Ive been looking at the two options.The quietest genny you can get for the power i need is the honda eu65is inverter gen at R60k.Its a 6.5kva unit with 5500W.Im in a complex so cant have a noisy gen.
Ive phoned a few inverter supply companies and they reckon about R40k for a similar inverter unit with batteries.
I need to run the following:
1 x 12000 btu split unit aircon,non inverter (new ac)
10 x overhead energy saving bulbs at 14w each,not led
2 laptops and chargers
Fibre line,fibre router so we can work on laptops and have internet
2 x 32" full hd led tvs and two dstv decoders

Price aside when we run into stages 3 to 8 the gap between sheds can be as short as 2 hrs.I believe the batteries take 6-8 hrs to fully charge.
So im undecided as both have advantages and disadvantages.
Any advice,suggestions greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Ryanwb1 said:

Ive phoned a few inverter supply companies and they reckon about R40k for a similar inverter unit with batteries.

The inverter just sounds better and cleaner than a generator, The aircon is going to pull about 8Amp and you will need those batteries to be up to the task. Might be worth spending that extra R20k on extra batteries with the inverter. 

Looking at your list, that is probably just over 2kW draw. Which is 4kWh for a 2 hour load shed.

I got some quotes from Solar Man in Pretoria for around R50k for a similar setup (2x3kWh Shubart batteries + 1x 5kW Axpert inverter). Should be able to comfortably recharge in 2 hours.

5 hours ago, JustinS said:

Looking at your list, that is probably just over 2kW draw. Which is 4kWh for a 2 hour load shed.

I got some quotes from Solar Man in Pretoria for around R50k for a similar setup (2x3kWh Shubart batteries + 1x 5kW Axpert inverter). Should be able to comfortably recharge in 2 hours.

You might only be able to draw 50% out of those batteries.