Axpert King 5Kw and Pylontech communication ports

WynandS

Hi All

I have a Axpert King 5Kw inverter and a Pylontech US3000 battery. Within the inverter settings I have configuration number 5 set to PYL to communicate to the Pylontech battery and I have the communication cable connected between the inverter and the battery. I am tough receiving an error code 61, which from my research seems to indicate a communication error between the inverter and the battery. This error code does not actually feature in the manual tough.

I am thus wondering if I connected the inverter correctly to the battery. I have the provided cable connected to the CAN port on the battery and connected to the BMS port on the inverter as per attached screen capture. Should the cable be connected to the CAN port on the battery or to the RS-485 port? Asking before experimenting too much and breaking something.

Thank you

InverterConnection.png

3 hours ago, WynandS said:

Should the cable be connected to the CAN port on the battery or to the RS-485 port?

Connect it to the RS-485 on the battery.

You have to use the UTP cable that came with the inverter, cos the wiring is non-standard.

A standard UTP cable will not work. UTP cable that came with the battery will not work too.

Edited by Youda

2 minutes ago, Youda said:

You have to use the UTP cable that came with the inverter, cos the wiring is non-standard.

A standard UTP cable will not work. UTP cable that came with the battery will not work too.

Please note that the UTP cable that came with the inverter is a standard ethernet cable for many of us Axpert King owners me included. The custom cable had to be crimped using the pin-outs in the attachment. I've shared this in multiple threads, seems people struggle to find the information when searching ;) Many people are struggling with this. Do these forums support sticky posts?

Pylontec Axpert VMIII-KING Configuration (used for cable, set battery dip switches to 1000).pdf

8 minutes ago, Youda said:

@WynandS, connect the custom cable to this RS485 port as @Youda confirms. The attachment I shared above also verifies this. It's port #17 as per your Axpert King manual, next to the USB port (mine has a Li-Ion icon). The port indicated in your picture is port #16, which is not the correct port.

1 hour ago, 0 |>\/\/3|<|<3Я said:

I note that the attached says to set the DC low cutoff voltage (setting 29) to 47 V. It should be 46.5 or even 46.0, to prevent low battery voltage warnings, and to prevent the effective value for setting 12 (I don't know what this really does in an Axpert King) becoming 49.0 V.

7 hours ago, Coulomb said:

I note that the attached says to set the DC low cutoff voltage (setting 29) to 47 V. It should be 46.5 or even 46.0, to prevent low battery voltage warnings, and to prevent the effective value for setting 12 (I don't know what this really does in an Axpert King) becoming 49.0 V.

Thanks. With setting 05 = USE, I'm able to change the value of setting 29. With setting 05 = PYL, setting 29 remains at 47V. I'm assuming the Pylontech BMS is taking care of the settings on the Axpert King on my behalf.

On 2020/02/23 at 1:57 AM, 0 |>\/\/3|<|<3Я said:

Please note that the UTP cable that came with the inverter is a standard ethernet cable for many of us Axpert King owners me included. The custom cable had to be crimped using the pin-outs in the attachment. I've shared this in multiple threads, seems people struggle to find the information when searching ;) Many people are struggling with this. Do these forums support sticky posts?

Pylontec Axpert VMIII-KING Configuration (used for cable, set battery dip switches to 1000).pdf 564.7 kB · 13 downloads

The attached shows 3 wires on one end and 2 wires on the other end.

Does that mean that the rest of wires could be left out?

17 minutes ago, Abnormal said:

The attached shows 3 wires on one end and 2 wires on the other end.

Does that mean that the rest of wires could be left out?

Yes, it's RS485 bus, so GND wire is not necessary.

And if you wire it like this, then the cable will work no matter which side you plug in the Pylontech and which into the Axpert Inverter:

https://powerforum.co.za/topic/2322-youdas-off-grid-lab/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-55761

image.png.07d744acbecfa11ab820a7c2c778e579.png

Pin definition of the RS485 port on the Pylontech US2000 side:
Note that the pins 1-2 have the same function as pins 8-7.

image.png.2394dcb22c4887c9ecfc03713ca6a3f3.png

Edited by Youda

43 minutes ago, 0 |>\/\/3|<|<3Я said:

since it wouldn't make sense to terminate a wire at only one end.

With instrumentation it makes perfect sense. You would only connect one side of a Ground wire or Shield to get rid of any noise that might interfere with the signal or communication. By connecting the other side of said wire you stand the risk that you might create a Path back to the PLC or DCS for fault current to flow and you dont want that, so you only connect the earth/ground at the source side in most cases. 

Edit: In the event of connecting both you might create a Ground loop, this is when the instrument is not grounded on its own and you have a potential difference between "Real Ground" and the instrument ground. Should a fault occur and current flow back through the Ground wire to the source, it will create noise /  hum in the line and that is exactly what you would guard against. 

33 minutes ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

With instrumentation it makes perfect sense. You would only connect one side of a Ground wire or Shield to get rid of any noise that might interfere with the signal or communication. By connecting the other side of said wire you stand the risk that you might create a Path back to the PLC or DCS for fault current to flow and you dont want that, so you only connect the earth/ground at the source side in most cases. 

Edit: In the event of connecting both you might create a Ground loop, this is when the instrument is not grounded on its own and you have a potential difference between "Real Ground" and the instrument ground. Should a fault occur and current flow back through the Ground wire to the source, it will create noise /  hum in the line and that is exactly what you would guard against.

This is a very interesting learning, thank you :)

3 hours ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

This is what i know, standard practice to only ground one side.

Thanks guys, off to make a cable now.

On 2020/02/25 at 10:38 PM, Abnormal said:

This is what i know, standard practice to only ground one side.

Thanks guys, off to make a cable now.

Did the cable work correctly? and what settings did you use? PYL or USE

1 minute ago, Andries said:

Axpert King 5kva,I have crimp the cable and use both pins,but still the SOC is not correct 

On 2020/02/23 at 1:57 AM, 0 |>\/\/3|<|<3Я said:

Pylontec Axpert VMIII-KING Configuration (used for cable, set battery dip switches to 1000).pdf 564.7 kB · 19 downloads

Did you crimp the cable per this attachment I shared? Also, note the wording I added in brackets, since V1.0 of the Axpert King user manual did not mention the Pylontech dip switches, I only figured those out later.

Seems like I need to update the firmware I am on U1 71.50 and don't have the PYL option.

Ran into some difficulties when trying to update the display firmware to 2.00. Put up a post in the firmware section. https://powerforum.co.za/topic/3759-axpert-king-inverter-firmware/page/3/#comments

Didn't try to update the main firmware.

Have not tried the cable yet.

1 minute ago, 0 |>\/\/3|<|<3Я said:

Did you crimp the cable per this attachment I shared? Also, note the wording I added in brackets, since V1.0 of the Axpert King user manual did not mention the Pylontech dip switches, I only figured those out later.

my first attempt was crimping like exactly on this configuration,did not work,the I use Youda's config,does not make any difference,this is brand new inverter with firmware version  71.90 

1 minute ago, Andries said:

my first attempt was crimping like exactly on this configuration,did not work,the I use Youda's config,does not make any difference,this is brand new inverter with firmware version  71.90 

Mine has the same firmware and the cable works with setting 05 = PYL. What are the dip switches on your batteries set to?

1 minute ago, 0 |>\/\/3|<|<3Я said:

Mine has the same firmware and the cable works with setting 05 = PYL. What are the dip switches on your batteries set to?

I set the battery type to USE now,the dip switches is all down,meaning its off? and cable is connected to the master at RS485

6 minutes ago, Andries said:

I set the battery type to USE now,the dip switches is all down,meaning its off? and cable is connected to the master at RS485

Set your first dip switch to 1, thus 1-0-0-0, on all your batteries. That's what I meant in my earlier post and in the PDF file name where I included the information in brackets: "(Pylontec Axpert VMIII-KING Configuration (used for cable, set battery dip switches to 1000)".

The Axpert King/VMIII integration with the Pylontech BMS requires a baud rate of 9600, achieved by lifting the first dip switch on the batteries. After doing that, power down your batteries, power back on and then press the red button on your master (typically top) battery to start it up. Now set your inverter setting 05 to PYL with the custom RS485 cable connected and in less than 3 minutes, the battery icon on your inverter should start blinking, indicating that all is well with the Axpert-Pylontech BMS integration. Your SOC should then also be correct.

Edited by 0 |>\/\/3|<|<3Я
typo

4 minutes ago, 0 |>\/\/3|<|<3Я said:

Set your first dip switch to 1, thus 1-0-0-0, on all your batteries. That's what I meant in my earlier post and in the PDF file name where I included the information in brackets: "(Pylontec Axpert VMIII-KING Configuration (used for cable, set battery dip switches to 1000)".

The Axpert King/VMIII integration with the Pylontech BMS requires a baud rate of 9600, achieved by lifting the first dip switch on the batteries. After doing that, power down your batteries, power back on and then press the red button on your master (typically top) battery to start it up. Now set your inverter setting 05 to PYL with the custom RJ485 cable connected and in less than 3 minutes, the battery icon on your inverter should start blinking, indicating that all is well with the Axpert-Pylontech BMS integration. Your SOC should then also be correct.

Okay thank you sir! 

Going to try it NOW,will let you know,thank you!!

Edited by Andries

21 minutes ago, 0 |>\/\/3|<|<3Я said:

The Axpert King/VMIII integration with the Pylontech BMS requires a baud rate of 9600, achieved by lifting the first dip switch on the batteries. After doing that, power down your batteries, power back on and then press the red button on your master (typically top) battery to start it up. Now set your inverter setting 05 to PYL with the custom RJ485 cable connected and in less than 3 minutes, the battery icon on your inverter should start blinking, indicating that all is well with the Axpert-Pylontech BMS integration. Your SOC should then also be correct.

Its Alive!!!!

You are a Genius!! thank you!